Integration of a hyperbolic function

In summary, the integral of cothx is ln|sinhx|+C. This means that the integral of coth2x is ln|sinh2x|+C. To find this integral, you can use the substitution u=sinh2x and the Pythagorean identity 1+coth2x=csc2x. It is important to have a strong understanding of differentiation and trigonometric identities before tackling common hyperbolic function derivatives and integrals. A helpful resource for these integrals can be found on the Wikipedia page "List of Integrals of Hyperbolic Functions."
penroseandpaper
The integral of cothx is ln|sinhx|+C.

Does this mean the integral of coth2x is ln|sinh2x|+C?

If not, does anyone have a link to a page on how it is achieved - I'm trying to compile a list of all common hyperbolic function derivatives and integrals. However, I can't find anything to confirm if this is the right assumption.

My thought process went:
∫(cosh2x)/(sinh2x)

=∫1/u

=ln|u|+c,

where u=sinh2x

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, before you work on the common hyperbolic intergrals, you should get all the derivatives down, and their general rules. You missed a chain rule! ##\frac {d}{dx} \sinh^2x \neq \cosh^2x##. Do the chain rule.

Now, onto your integral! Just like normal trig functions, the way to find the integrals for ##\int \cot^2x dx## is to use the Pythagorean identity ##1+\cot^2x = \csc^2x## . So, in this case use: ##\coth^2x - \csc h^2 x = 1## Once you make the substitution, you'll see it plays out like the ##\int \cot^2x dx## case.

Likes Infrared
penroseandpaper said:
The integral of cothx is ln|sinhx|+C.
Does this mean the integral of coth2x is ln|sinh2x|+C?

If not, does anyone have a link to a page on how it is achieved - I'm trying to compile a list of all common hyperbolic function derivatives and integrals. However, I can't find anything to confirm if this is the right assumption.
Before you tackle this work, I would advise you to brush up on differentiation (particularly the chain rule), common trig identities (both circular and hyperbolic), and on the integrals of the circular trig functions.

This wiki page lists many integrals of hyperbolic trig functions - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_hyperbolic_functions

romsofia said:
Well, before you work on the common hyperbolic intergrals, you should get all the derivatives down, and their general rules. You missed a chain rule! ##\frac {d}{dx} \sinh^2x \neq \cosh^2x##. Do the chain rule.

Now, onto your integral! Just like normal trig functions, the way to find the integrals for ##\int \cot^2x dx## is to use the Pythagorean identity ##1+\cot^2x = \csc^2x## . So, in this case use: ##\coth^2x - \csc h^2 x = 1## Once you make the substitution, you'll see it plays out like the ##\int \cot^2x dx## case.

Thanks for those pointers.
I was thinking about it in bed, and I thought I'd got it wrong because reversing my answer gets you something like (2cosh2x)/sinh2x.

I get a result of -cothx+x+C - using the fact that the derivative of cothx is -cosec2x; did I get there? 😶

penroseandpaper said:
Thanks for those pointers.
I was thinking about it in bed, and I thought I'd got it wrong because reversing my answer gets you something like (2cosh2x)/sinh2x.

I get a result of -cothx+x+C - using the fact that the derivative of cothx is -cosec2x; did I get there? 😶
Yup, that's right!

penroseandpaper said:
using the fact that the derivative of cothx is -cosec2x
I know what you're trying to say, but that's not what you actually wrote.

Here's the corrected version, using LaTeX:
##\frac d {dx}(\coth (x)) = -csch^2(x)##

What you wrote omits the 'h' for this hyperbolic function. I wrote this as csch, but it can also be written as written as cosech.

Also, cosec2x would be interpreted as cosec(2x) instead of what you intended.
To indicate an exponent, at least use the ^ character, as in x^2. What you wrote looks like -csc(2x).

What I wrote was using LaTeX - we have a pretty nice tuturial whose link is in the lower left corner, where it says LaTeX Guide.

Related to Integration of a hyperbolic function

1. What is a hyperbolic function?

A hyperbolic function is a type of mathematical function that is defined using the hyperbolic trigonometric functions, such as hyperbolic sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to model various physical phenomena, such as the shape of a hanging chain or the motion of a spring.

2. How is a hyperbolic function integrated?

The integration of a hyperbolic function involves finding the antiderivative of the function, which is the inverse operation of differentiation. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. What are the common hyperbolic functions used in integration?

The most commonly used hyperbolic functions in integration are the hyperbolic sine (sinh), cosine (cosh), and tangent (tanh) functions. These functions have properties similar to their trigonometric counterparts, but are defined using the exponential function instead of the unit circle.

4. What is the relationship between hyperbolic and trigonometric functions?

Hyperbolic and trigonometric functions are closely related, as they both involve the exponential function and have similar properties. In fact, the hyperbolic functions can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions, and vice versa, using the identities sinh x = (e^x - e^-x)/2, cosh x = (e^x + e^-x)/2, and tanh x = sinh x/cosh x.

5. Why are hyperbolic functions important in mathematics and science?

Hyperbolic functions are important in mathematics and science because they have many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also have important properties that make them useful in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.