Integration limitations to a SiC microprocessor

• Thread starter ZeroFunGame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I'm curious if there are any others in the US or Europe?I am not aware of any other SiC CMOS foundaries in the US or Europe. There are a few in China and Japan, but those are mostly for research and development. Thanks trurle!Certainly there are already SiC CMOS foundaries, for example KTH in Sweden...but I'm curious if there are any others in the US or Europe?I am not aware of any other SiC CMOS foundaries in the US or Europe. There are a few in China and Japan, but those are mostly for research and development.
ZeroFunGame
TL;DR Summary
There has been a demonstration of SiC BJT ACDs, and SiC JFET SRAM. What would be the major limitations associated with higher forms of integration for SiC? For example, a 1billion transistor CPU based on SiC?
There has been a demonstration of SiC BJT ADCs, and SiC JFET SRAM. What would be the major limitations associated with higher forms of integration for SiC? For example, a 1billion transistor CPU based on SiC?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Links please?

ZeroFunGame said:
Summary: There has been a demonstration of SiC BJT ACDs, and SiC JFET SRAM. What would be the major limitations associated with higher forms of integration for SiC? For example, a 1billion transistor CPU based on SiC?

There has been a demonstration of SiC BJT ADCs, and SiC JFET SRAM. What would be the major limitations associated with higher forms of integration for SiC? For example, a 1billion transistor CPU based on SiC?
P-channel SiC MOSFET was developed only recently (in 2017). Previous models of integrated SiC chips have used N-channel MOSFETonly, and N-channel only architectures do limits integration to roughly 80386 levels (<1 mln. transistors), because of associated high power dissipation.
https://powerelectronicsworld.net/article/101899/Making_A_Debut_The_P-type_SiC_MOSFET/feature
I think it would take several years before SiC CMOS technology will be really available on market though.

trurle said:
P-channel SiC MOSFET was developed only recently (in 2017). Previous models of integrated SiC chips have used N-channel MOSFETonly, and N-channel only architectures do limits integration to roughly 80386 levels (<1 mln. transistors), because of associated high power dissipation.
https://powerelectronicsworld.net/article/101899/Making_A_Debut_The_P-type_SiC_MOSFET/feature

Thanks trurle! Very insightful! I was curious how the 80386 levels was concluded? I wondering because, if power/efficiency was not a design spec, then would it follow that >1 mln. transistor systems are achievable? Or are there fundamental limitations to n-type VLSI?

ZeroFunGame said:
Summary: There has been a demonstration of SiC BJT ACDs, and SiC JFET SRAM. What would be the major limitations associated with higher forms of integration for SiC? For example, a 1billion transistor CPU based on SiC?

All highly integrated ICs today are based on CMOS MOSFETs, not BJTs or JFETs. As @trurle pointed out, until we have good NMOS and PMOS transistors in SiC, you will not see the kind of "100's of million transistor +" levels of integration that you are used to with Si CMOS. Even then, there are probably many processing techniques that have been developed to work with Si that, for one reason or another, don't work with SiC. It will take time to develop the new methods. And I'm not sure what the financial motivation is. It's true there are markets (high-temperature, for example) where SiC outperforms Si. But is this more than a niche market? Is the market large enough to give the developers incentive to switch from Si?

phyzguy said:
As @trurle pointed out, until we have good NMOS and PMOS transistors in SiC, you will not see the kind of "100's of million transistor +" levels of integration that you are used to with Si CMOS.

Thanks phyzguy! "Good" appears subjective here. Would it be possible to quantify the minimum mobility needed for NMOS and PMOS needed for "100's of million transistor +" levels of integration?

I appreciate all the feedback! Hoping for data/publications/references to go along with the posts. As @berkeman pointed out:

berkeman said:
Links please?

ZeroFunGame said:
Also, I'm not sure SiC PMOS was only developed in 2017 -- here's a SiC CMOS demonstration in 1997

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/568759
I am not even sure the leaflet of 2017 can be counted as "useful SiC CMOS process", not even speaking of research paper in 1997. Current digikey.com inventory of p-channel SiC MOSFETs is 3 positions with 1 device variety (while over a thousand of N-channel SiC MOSFETs).

Attachments

• SSM6P15FU_datasheet_en_20140301.pdf
    202.6 KB · Views: 162
ZeroFunGame said:
Thanks trurle! Very insightful! I was curious how the 80386 levels was concluded? I wondering because, if power/efficiency was not a design spec, then would it follow that >1 mln. transistor systems are achievable? Or are there fundamental limitations to n-type VLSI?
Because N-type VLSI have a significant stand-by power independent of transistor width (and reverse proportional to gate length), Si NMOS process did run in thermal troubles as soon as each transistor active area (channel+drain+source) was shrinked to roughly 4um2 size. With practical transistors active area density 15% in digital chips, 1mln transistors chip would be 5x5mm size, which is close to maximally practical with respect to cost.

Last edited:
trurle said:
I am not even sure the leaflet of 2017 can be counted as "useful SiC CMOS process", not even speaking of research paper in 1997. Current digikey.com inventory of p-channel SiC MOSFETs is 3 positions with 1 device variety (while over a thousand of N-channel SiC MOSFETs).

Thanks trurle! Certainly there are already SiC CMOS foundaries, for example KTH in Sweden and Fraunhofer in Germany. Sure, they may not be commercial products, but there's significant R&D (like the early days of Si) and it will not be long before they enter into main-stream.

Likes trurle
trurle said:
which is close to maximally practical with respect to cost.

This assumes the application is for a consumer product. There are particular high-mix low-volume markets that cost is not an issue. The original question steers away from economics, but focuses primarily on the technology enablement and fundamental physical limitations

Related to Integration limitations to a SiC microprocessor

1. What is a SiC microprocessor?

A SiC (silicon carbide) microprocessor is a type of microprocessor that uses silicon carbide as the semiconductor material instead of traditional silicon. This allows for higher performance and efficiency due to the unique properties of SiC.

2. What are the limitations of integrating SiC into a microprocessor?

The main limitation of integrating SiC into a microprocessor is the high cost of production. SiC is a relatively new and expensive material, making it difficult to mass produce SiC microprocessors at a competitive price. Additionally, the manufacturing process for SiC is more complex and requires specialized equipment, further driving up the cost.

3. How does SiC compare to traditional silicon in terms of performance?

SiC has a higher breakdown voltage, higher thermal conductivity, and higher electron mobility compared to traditional silicon. This allows for faster switching speeds and higher power handling capabilities, resulting in improved performance in microprocessors.

4. Are there any other limitations to integrating SiC into a microprocessor?

Another limitation of SiC integration is the lack of standardization. Unlike silicon, which has well-established manufacturing processes and standards, SiC is still in the early stages of development and lacks standardization. This can make it difficult for manufacturers to produce SiC microprocessors that are compatible with existing systems and technologies.

5. What are the potential benefits of using SiC microprocessors despite the integration limitations?

The potential benefits of using SiC microprocessors include higher performance, improved energy efficiency, and the ability to operate at higher temperatures. SiC also has a longer lifespan and is more resistant to radiation and other environmental factors, making it a promising material for use in critical applications such as aerospace and defense.