Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Integration involving substitutions

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
Please help me with these problems:

1. \begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{(1+x){\sqrt{x}}}\end{align*}

2. \begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{2s-s^2}}\end{align*}

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Re: Integration Inverse trig

please help me with these prob.

1. \begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{(1+x){\sqrt{x}}}\end{align*}
rewrite as

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{2dx}{(1+(\sqrt{x})^2){2\sqrt{x}}}\)

2. \begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{2s-s^2}}\end{align*}
complete the square .

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013

\begin{align*}\displaystyle \int\frac{dx}{\sqrt{2s-s^2}} = \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{-[(s^2-2s +1)-1]}} \\ = \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{-[(s-1)^2-1]}} \\ = \int\frac{ds}{\sqrt{1-(s-1)^2}}\\ let \,u = s-1\\ a=1 \\\ = sin^{-1}\, (s-1) +C \end{align*}

is my answer correct? did i use correct algebra in completing the square?

i still don't know how did you get 2 to be in the numerator and denominator of prob one.please explain. thanks!

Last edited:

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{2dx}{(1+(\sqrt{x})^2){2\sqrt{x}}}\)
Ignore the 2's and the extra [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] in the denominator and think strategically for a moment. Look at the rest of the denominator....The [tex](1 + (\sqrt{x})^2)[/tex]. What substitution do you think you are likely to use? Then make the substitution and solve for du. What terms arise?

-Dan

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013

\begin{align*}\displaystyle let\, u = x^{\frac{1}{2}}\\ du = \frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}dx \\ dx = 2\sqrt{x}\\... my\,\, answer\,\, would\,\, be\, = 2tan^{-1}\,\sqrt{x}+C\end{align*}

but i still don't get the new form of the integrand. where the 2 came from and
\begin{align*}\displaystyle(\sqrt{x})^2 \end{align*} in the denominator.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012

\(\displaystyle u = x^{\frac{1}{2}}\)
\(\displaystyle du = \frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{1}{2}}dx\)
Look at the du equation. We need a 2 in the denominator to make a du. If we need one in the bottom, then we also need one in the top.

Perhaps the better idea right now is, now that you know the substitution you want, plug your u and du into the original integral and see what happens.

-Dan

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012

Do you understand how substitution works? You need to see if there is an "inner" function and if this inner function's derivative is a factor in your integrand. Surely you can see that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \left( \sqrt{x} \right) ^2 \end{align*}\). Why did we choose to do that? Because if you know your derivatives, you will know that \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{d}{dx} \left( \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}\). Notice that you ALREADY have \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}\) in your denominator, which means that if you can turn it into \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} \end{align*}\), then a substitution of the form \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} u = \sqrt{x} \end{align*}\) is appropriate.

soroban

Feb 2, 2012
Hello, paulmdrdo!

You can avoid that hassle . . .

[tex]1.\;\int\frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Let [tex]u \,=\,\sqrt{x} \quad\Rightarrow\quad x \,=\,u^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad dx \,=\,2u\,du[/tex]

Substitute: .[tex]\int \frac{2u\,du}{(1+u^2)u} \;=\;2\int\frac{du}{1+u^2} \;=\;2\arctan u + C [/tex]

Back-substitute: .[tex]2\arctan(\sqrt{x}) + C[/tex]