Integration Intuition for work between x1 and x2

In summary, an object is moved from x=0.00m to x=2.6m by a force of 3.7N/m3. The work done is equal to the force multiplied by the distance moved.
Joshb60796

Homework Statement

A force F=bx3 acts in the x direction, where the value of b is 3.7N/m3. How much work is done by this force in moving an object from x=0.00m to x=2.6m?

Homework Equations

W=F*D
∫undu = (u(n+1)/(n+1))+C

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from previous problems that I'm going to integrate to find the area under the curve bx3 from 0 to 2.6 but I don't have the intuition as to why. I don't really understand why I'm doing this besides the face that I see a function raised to a power and not much more information is given. I'm following a pattern based on a pattern I see. I get that the force is changing in the y coordinate and that the x coordinate I'm worried about goes from 0 to 2.6 and I'm finding the area using integration but is the force a jerk because it's raised to the 3rd power, would it be acceleration if raised to the second power? I remember doing derivatives and thinking this. How did they come up with b? How did b come to be? What measuring device gives a reading like 3.7N/m3? I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions but I want to fully understand this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joshb60796 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from previous problems that I'm going to integrate to find the area under the curve bx3 from 0 to 2.6 but I don't have the intuition as to why.

If you consider a force F moving its point of application an infinitesimal distance 'dx', then the work done within in this distance is dW = F dx

For the work done over the entire distance from x2 to x1

[tex]\int_{0} ^W 1 dW = \int_{x_1} ^{x_2} F dx \Rightarrow W = \int_{x_1} ^{x_2} F dx[/tex]

Graphically, this represents the area under the force-distance curve.

Joshb60796 said:
I don't really understand why I'm doing this besides the face that I see a function raised to a power and not much more information is given. I'm following a pattern based on a pattern I see. I get that the force is changing in the y coordinate and that the x coordinate I'm worried about goes from 0 to 2.6 and I'm finding the area using integration but is the force a jerk because it's raised to the 3rd power, would it be acceleration if raised to the second power? I remember doing derivatives and thinking this. How did they come up with b? How did b come to be? What measuring device gives a reading like 3.7N/m3? I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions but I want to fully understand this.

What could happen to get such a formula is that based on measuring force with distance, you could find that F∝x3 such that F= bx3. If you plot a graph of F against x3, the gradient would be 'b'.

To get what units 'b' would have, the units of the product of 'bx3' would need to be Newtons (N); x is in m.

so N = b*m3 such that b = N/m3. So you would not always have an instrument measuring something in N/m3 but you might be able to figure it out based on other data.

Thank you sir for your insight. What was that symbol you used after F? I've never seen it before. Also, what is a gradient exactly? Is it like a coefficient that changes? I've only had up to Calculus 2 so far.

Joshb60796 said:
Thank you sir for your insight. What was that symbol you used after F? I've never seen it before. Also, what is a gradient exactly? Is it like a coefficient that changes? I've only had up to Calculus 2 so far.

The ∝ ? I am not sure why it appears so small but it is the symbol for 'directly proportional to' so as one increases, the other increases by a set amount.

Gradient refers to a rate of change. In the straight line equation y=mx+c, the gradient would be equal to m. Such that the change in the distance y (denoted by Δy) divided by the change in the distance x (Δx) is equal to m.

Δy/Δx = m

For more information on a basic method on how gradient or slope is calculated, you can read here.

oh ok, I didn't realize that gradient was synonymous to slope. Thank you for the explanation.

Related to Integration Intuition for work between x1 and x2

1. What is integration intuition?

Integration intuition is the ability to understand and apply integration techniques to solve problems involving a function between two points, x1 and x2. It involves understanding the relationship between the derivative and the integral of a function.

2. Why is integration intuition important in the workplace?

Integration intuition is important in the workplace because it allows for the analysis and optimization of processes and systems. It can help to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change, which are essential in fields such as engineering, finance, and economics.

3. How can I improve my integration intuition?

Improving integration intuition requires practice and understanding of the fundamental concepts. You can improve by practicing problems, understanding the relationship between derivatives and integrals, and familiarizing yourself with different integration techniques.

4. Can integration intuition be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, integration intuition can be applied to real-life scenarios. For example, it can be used to calculate the total cost of materials used in a manufacturing process or to determine the optimal speed for a car on a race track.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using integration intuition?

Yes, some common mistakes when using integration intuition include incorrect application of integration techniques, not considering the limits of integration, and forgetting to include constants of integration. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential errors.