Yawning and it being contagious

• Thread starter Sourire
  • Start date
In summary, yawning is a reflex triggered by a build-up of carbon dioxide in the body and is associated with tiredness and boredom. It is thought to be contagious due to mirror neurons in the brain. While it can be a sign of fatigue, it can also be caused by other factors such as boredom, stress, or changes in temperature. While we can resist the urge to yawn, it is difficult to stop it altogether as it is a reflex triggered automatically by the body. The purpose of yawning is still not fully understood, but it is believed to help regulate the body's temperature and increase oxygen intake, and may also play a role in social bonding and communication.
Sourire
This may not be the spot but I figured after I put it somewhere it would be moved to where it needs to be.

I have question about yawning and it being contagious (sp?)Why are they contagious? Is it a mental thing? Someone at work asked me and I thought I would come here and ask the experts!

[zz)] [zz)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
This link explains it quite well:

Click Me!

another interesting link...
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_309.html

1. What causes yawning?

Yawning is a reflex that is triggered by a build-up of carbon dioxide in the body. It is also associated with tiredness and boredom.

2. Why is yawning contagious?

Yawning is thought to be contagious because of mirror neurons in the brain. These neurons fire when we see someone else yawning, causing us to yawn in response.

3. Is yawning a sign of fatigue?

While yawning can be a sign of fatigue and tiredness, it can also be caused by other factors such as boredom, stress, or even changes in temperature.

4. Can we control when we yawn?

While we can resist the urge to yawn, it is difficult to stop it altogether. Yawning is a reflex that is triggered automatically by the body.

5. Is yawning necessary for our body?

The purpose of yawning is still not fully understood, but it is believed to help regulate the body's temperature and increase oxygen intake. It may also play a role in social bonding and communication.