Integration in Laplace Transform

In summary: Your contribution is really helpful! In summary, you can use the Laplace transform to solve problems where you have an improper integral, but if you don't solve the improper integral, you get an infinite limit.
juan.
Hello everyone, I have a question about integrating in Laplace Transform. For example, if I have:
[tex]f(t)=e^{i.t}[/tex]
I have to solve this equation:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt[/tex]

If I do like this, it's very simple:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-t.(s-i)}dt=\frac{-1}{s-i}.(0-1)=\frac{1}{s-i}[/tex]

But, if I do like this, I can't solve it:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{i.t}.e^{-s.t}dt=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{t.(i-s)}dt=\frac{1}{i-s}.(?? - 1)= ?? [/tex]

Where it says '??', I don't know what to write.

Any help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're technically dealing with a complex variable [itex]s[/itex] and an improper integral. So what you really want to calculate is
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{n}e^{it}e^{-(a+b i)t}dt = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\int_{0}^{n}e^{(-a+(1-b)i)t}dt = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{-a+(1-b)i} \left ( e^{(-a+(1-b)i)n} - 1 \right) .[/tex]

The Laplace transform here is defined for ##s>0##. Integrating you get $$\int_0^\infty e^{t(i-s)} dt = \frac{e^{t(i-s)}}{i-s} \Bigm|_{t=0}^{t=\infty} = \frac1{i-s} (0-1)= \frac1{s-i} .$$ Here by the value at ##t=\infty## you should understand the limit as ##t\to\infty##, and this limit is ##0## if ##s>0##. You can also consider complex ##s##, the same computation works and the limit as ##t\to\infty## is still zero if ##\operatorname{Re}s>0##. In your computations you skipped on step (did not write the antiderivative), maybe that was the source of your confusion.

Thanks for your answers!
I can see now that [tex]e^{t.(i-s)}[/tex], with [tex]t->\infty[/tex] is equal to 0, but why?
I can separate that exponential in 2 parts: real and immaginary. In the real part, of course I have [tex]e^{-t.s}=0[/tex] but in the immaginary part I have: [tex]e^{i.t}[/tex] and that's not 0.
So, I have [tex]0.\infty[/tex], with the infinity in the immaginary. Isn't that strange? Why do you say that is 0?

For real ##t## we have ##|e^{it}|=1##, so we have something bounded (##e^{it}##) times something with limit ##0##. The resulting limit is then ##0##.

Oh, that's true!
ThanksssssssssssssssssssssSorry, Euler, I forgot about you haha

Related to Integration in Laplace Transform

1. What is the purpose of using Laplace Transform in integration?

Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool that allows us to convert functions from the time domain to the frequency domain. This makes it easier to solve differential equations, including integration problems, by transforming them into algebraic equations.

2. How is Laplace Transform used to solve integration problems?

To solve an integration problem using Laplace Transform, we first apply the transform to the given function. This will result in a new function in the frequency domain. Then, we use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable, and finally, we use the inverse Laplace Transform to convert the solution back to the time domain.

3. Can Laplace Transform be used for all types of integration problems?

While Laplace Transform is a powerful tool for solving integration problems, it is not suitable for all types of problems. It is most effective for solving linear, constant coefficient differential equations. Other types of integration problems may require different techniques.

4. How does Laplace Transform differ from other integration methods?

Laplace Transform differs from other integration methods in that it transforms the problem into the frequency domain, making it easier to solve using algebraic techniques. It also has the advantage of being able to solve initial value problems, where the initial conditions are known, without the need for additional integration constants.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform for integration?

One limitation of Laplace Transform is that it can only be applied to functions that are well-behaved and have a Laplace Transform. Some functions, such as those with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities, may not have a Laplace Transform, making it impossible to use this method for integration.