Integration - chain rule / functional

In summary: I'm sorry for the confusion.In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral with limits expressed in terms of t and the use of a substitution to change the limits to x. The specific relationship between x and t is not provided, making it difficult to evaluate the integral. There is also discussion about using separation of variables and integration factors in solving problems.
binbagsss
I have ## \int_{t = 0}^{t = 1} \frac{1}{x} \frac{dx}{dt} dt = \int_{t = 0}^{t = 1} (1-y) dt ## [1]
The LHS evaluates to ## ln \frac{(x(t_0+T))}{x(t_0)} ##, where ##t_{1}=t_{0}+T##

My issue is that, asked to write out the intermediatary step, I could not. I am unsure how you do this when the limits aren't expressed in terms of ##x## here. So I can see that ##1/x dx = ln x ##, but I'm unsure of what has happened to ## '\frac {dt}{dt}' ## and how the integration limits are done properly.

I think the two below points tie in, and link to where my understanding is lacking with this:

1) Am I correct in thinking that, given ##dx/dt = x(1-y) ##, in order to get to expression [1] you can not simply, formally, 'seperate variables' - see point below, but rather you should divide by ##x## and then integrate both sides w.r.t ##t##.

2) From high school up to now, I have used separation of variables to solve such things as : ##dx/dt=b(x)## => ##dx/b(x)=dt##

However my lecturer today told me that is inproper and rather one should use a integration factor - i think understanding this point ties with/ may help my initial question?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I have ## \int_{t = 0}^{t = 1} \frac{1}{x} \frac{dx}{dt} dt = \int_{t = 0}^{t = 1} (1-y) dt ## [1]
The LHS evaluates to ## ln \frac{(x(t_0+T))}{x(t_0)} ##, where ##t_{1}=t_{0}+T##
Without knowing the relationship between x and t, I don't know how one would evaluate the integral on the left, since it isn't known what x(1) and x(0) are.
binbagsss said:
My issue is that, asked to write out the intermediatary step, I could not. I am unsure how you do this when the limits aren't expressed in terms of ##x## here. So I can see that ##1/x dx = ln x ##
Well, the above should be ##\int 1/x dx = \ln|x| + C##
binbagsss said:
, but I'm unsure of what has happened to ## '\frac {dt}{dt}' ## and how the integration limits are done properly.

I think the two below points tie in, and link to where my understanding is lacking with this:

1) Am I correct in thinking that, given ##dx/dt = x(1-y) ##, in order to get to expression [1] you can not simply, formally, 'seperate variables' - see point below, but rather you should divide by ##x## and then integrate both sides w.r.t ##t##.

2) From high school up to now, I have used separation of variables to solve such things as : ##dx/dt=b(x)## => ##dx/b(x)=dt##

However my lecturer today told me that is inproper and rather one should use a integration factor - i think understanding this point ties with/ may help my initial question?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark44 said:
Without knowing the relationship between x and t, I don't know how one would evaluate the integral on the left, since it isn't known what x(1) and x(0) are.
Well, the above should be ##\int 1/x dx = \ln|x| + C##

Sorry, I missed the constant C, yes.

my question wasn't about evaluating x(1) and x(0)? it was about how you get from line 1 to line 2 and 'transform' from the limits in ##t## to ##x## limits, I'm only ever used to seeing ##x## limits in such an expression... (evaluates was probably the wrong word...)

binbagsss said:
Sorry, I missed the constant C, yes.

my question wasn't about evaluating x(1) and x(0)? it was about how you get from line 1 to line 2 and 'transform' from the limits in ##t## to ##x## limits, I'm only ever used to seeing ##x## limits in such an expression... (evaluates was probably the wrong word...)
You can't transform the t limits to x limits unless you know how x and t relate; that is, unless you know a formula for x(t).

Mark44 said:
You can't transform the t limits to x limits unless you know how x and t relate; that is, unless you know a formula for x(t).
I mean how its gone to ##x(t_{1})## and ##x(t_{0}##), not explicitly what they are.

The only other information that I have not included in the OP is that ##T## is the period of the solution so the LHS evaluates to ##0## ...
##x## and ##t## relate by the equation in 1) in the OP and we are also given ##dy/dt=K(-x+xy)##

binbagsss said:
I mean how its gone to ##x(t_{1})## and ##x(t_{0}##), not explicitly what they are.
When you change the variable of integration, by for example, using a substitution, you usually need to change the limits of integration. The exception is when you "undo" the substitution after finding an antiderivative.

Here's a very simple example,
$$\int_{x = 0}^1 (x + 2)^3 dx$$
Let u = x + 2
Then du = dx
And x = 0 => u = 2, x = 1 => u =3
Carrying out the substitution and changing the limits of integration:
$$\int_{x = 0}^1 (x + 2)^3 dx = \int_{u = 2}^3 u^3 du \\
= \frac{u^4}{4}|_2^3 = \frac{81}{4} - \frac{16}{4} = \frac{65} 4$$
binbagsss said:
The only other information that I have not included in the OP is that ##T## is the period of the solution so the LHS evaluates to ##0## ...
##x## and ##t## relate by the equation in 1) in the OP
I don't see how equation 1 shows a specific relationship between x and t.
binbagsss said:
and we are also given ##dy/dt=K(-x+xy)##

Mark44 said:
When you change the variable of integration, by for example, using a substitution, you usually need to change the limits of integration. The exception is when you "undo" the substitution after finding an antiderivative.

Let u = x + 2
Then du = dx

yeh that example is fine. but I'm still not understanding what has happened in my initial question...

Apologies in the OP the limits over the intergral should read as ## ^{t_{1}} _{t_{0}} \int ##, where ##t_{1}=t_{0}+T##

binbagsss said:
Apologies in the OP the limits over the intergral should read as ## ^{t_{1}} _{t_{0}} \int ##, where ##t_{1}=t_{0}+T##
It's customary to put the integration limits to the right of the integral sign, like so:
##\int_{t_0}^{t_1} f(t) dt##

Mark44 said:
It's customary to put the integration limits to the right of the integral sign, like so:
##\int_{t_0}^{t_1} f(t) dt##

okay. i was concerning the change in limits, as not being explicit..
still no idea how to approach my initial question.

Mark44 said:

Let u = x + 2
Then du = dx
binbagsss said:
yeh that example is fine. but I'm still not understanding what has happened in my initial question...
In my example there is a clear relationship between u and x; namely, u(x) = x + 2.
In your integral, there is no such relationship, at least one that I can see.

Mark44 said:
In my example there is a clear relationship between u and x; namely, u(x) = x + 2.
In your integral, there is no such relationship, at least one that I can see.

I agree.
my OP is what we done in lectures however.

binbagsss said:
my OP is what we done in lectures however.

Can you quote the statements that came before the equation in your OP ?

Stephen Tashi said:
Can you quote the statements that came before the equation in your OP ?

Literally all information has been posted above. But I shall summarise again:

System of equations:

##dx/dt=x-xy## [1]
##dy/dt= K(-y+xy)## [2], ##K## a constant.

The lecturer makes the statement that many of the solutions of ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are periodic.
Let the period be ##T##.

My lecturer then jumps to the line:

## \int _{t_{0}}^{t_{0}+T} 1/x (dx/dt) dt = \ln (\frac{x(t_{0}+T)}{(x(t_{0})})=0= \int _{t_{0}} ^{t_{0}+T} (1-Ky) dt ##

binbagsss said:
Literally all information has been posted above. But I shall summarise again:

System of equations:

##dx/dt=x-xy## [1]
##dy/dt= K(-y+xy)## [2], ##K## a constant.

The lecturer makes the statement that many of the solutions of ##x(t)## and ##y(t)## are periodic.
Let the period be ##T##.

My lecturer then jumps to the line:

## \int _{t_{0}}^{t_{0}+T} 1/x (dx/dt) dt = \ln (\frac{x(t_{0}+T)}{(x(t_{0})})=0= \int _{t_{0}} ^{t_{0}+T} (1-Ky) dt ##
The integral on the left could be rewritten as ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} \frac {dx} x##.
Since x(t) is assumed to be periodic with period T, then this integral is 0, since ##x(t_0) = x(t_0 + T)##.
However, saying that both x(t) and y(t) are periodic doesn't necessarily imply that both functions have the same period.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The integral on the left could be rewritten as ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} \frac {dx} x##.

Alright cheers. any hints please?

binbagsss said:
Alright cheers. any hints please?
Hints about what? I explained why the integral on the left (i.e., ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} \frac {dx} x##) is zero. As I already said ##x(t_0) = x(t_0 + T)##, assuming that x(t) is periodic with period T, Then ##\frac {x(t_0 + T)}{x(t_0)} = 1##, so ln of this fraction is zero.
If both x(t) and y(t) have the same period, then ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} ydt## would also be zero, and I leave it as an exercise for you to explain why ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} (1 - Ky)dt## is also zero.

Mark44 said:
Hints about what? I explained why the integral on the left (i.e., ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} \frac {dx} x##) is zero. As I already said ##x(t_0) = x(t_0 + T)##, assuming that x(t) is periodic with period T, Then ##\frac {x(t_0 + T)}{x(t_0)} = 1##, so ln of this fraction is zero.
If both x(t) and y(t) have the same period, then ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} ydt## would also be zero, and I leave it as an exercise for you to explain why ##\int_{x(t_0)}^{x(t_0 + T)} (1 - Ky)dt## is also zero.

My initial question.
I know why the integral evaluates to 0.
and this wasn't my question
it says 'asked to show the intermediatary step, I could not'

binbagsss said:
My initial question.
I know why the integral evaluates to 0.
and this wasn't my question
it says 'asked to show the intermediatary step, I could not'
What do you mean by the intermediate step? ("intermediatary" is not a word...)

Mark44 said:
What do you mean by the intermediate step? ("intermediatary" is not a word...)
why are you bothering to reply if your not addressing the question? you're sharing your general knowledge on other parts of the question...

binbagsss said:
why are you bothering to reply if your not addressing the question? you're sharing your general knowledge on other parts of the question...
I'm "bothering to reply" because I don't understand what you mean by intermediate step...

Related to Integration - chain rule / functional

1. What is the chain rule and how does it apply to integration?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. In integration, the chain rule is used to simplify and solve more complex integrals by breaking them down into smaller parts.

2. What is a functional and how is it used in integration?

A functional is a mathematical term used to describe a function that takes in another function as an input. In integration, functionals are used to calculate the area under a curve or to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. How do you use the chain rule to integrate a composite function?

To integrate a composite function using the chain rule, you must first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, you can use the chain rule formula, which states that the integral of a composite function is equal to the integral of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. Can the chain rule be applied to all integration problems?

No, the chain rule can only be applied to integration problems that involve composite functions. For other types of integrals, different integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts may be used.

5. How can the chain rule be used to solve real-world problems?

The chain rule is often used in physics and engineering to solve real-world problems such as calculating the velocity of an object or the rate of change of a system. By breaking down a complex function into smaller parts, the chain rule makes it easier to solve these types of problems.