Integration application: solids of revolution

In summary: DThe radius is the horizontal distance from $x=-2$ to the vertical line, which is $x+2$. The height is the function $y=e^{2x}$. So the volume of the element is:dV=2\pi (x+2)e^{2x}\,dxAnd the limits of integration are from $x=-1$ to $x=2$, since those are the limits of the region to be revolved. Does that make sense?The radius is the horizontal distance from $x=-2$ to the vertical line, which is $x+2$. The height is the function $y=e^{2x}$. So the volume of the
paulmdrdo1
need some help here.

1. find the volume (by washer method) of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by $y=3+x^2$ and the line $y=4$ about the x-axis.

2. write the integral that will give the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by $y=e^{2x}$, $x=-1$ and $x=2$ about x=-2. (by cylindrical shell method).

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Integration application.

paulmdrdo said:
need some help here.

1. find the volume (by washer method) of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by $y=3+x^2$ and the line $y=4$ about the x-axis.

2. write the integral that will give the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region by $y=e^{2x}$, $x=1$ and $x=2$. (by cylindrical shell method).

thanks!
Hello,
1.Do you got any progress? Do you know how to solve the integral region ( the a and b in \(\displaystyle \int_a^b\)

solve \(\displaystyle 3+x^2=4\)

Re: Integration application.

I recommend you do a search here on the word "revolution" and you will find many topics that demonstrate how to find the volumes of solids of revolution.

I generally recommend that the region to be rotated and the axis of rotation first be sketched. This will help you greatly in the next step...

Then determine the volume of an element of the solid, whether it be a disk, washer or shell.

Finally, use integration to sum all of the elements to get the total volume. As Petrus points out, you will need to determine the limits of integration.

After looking at some of our other topics here in your search, and then attempting the steps I outlined above, show us what you find, and we can then help you from there if you get stuck.

By the way, you did not state the axis of rotation for the second problem. I would assume it is a vertical axis.

the limits of integration in 1 is x=1 and x=-1.

$\displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 \pi(7-6x-x^4)dx$

my answer is $\displaystyle \frac{68\pi}{5}cu.\,units$

help me in number 2 please

2. write the integral that will give the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by $y=e^{2x}$, $x=-1$ and $x=2$ about x=-2. (by cylindrical shell method).

Last edited:
The first one is incorrect. You want:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^1 4^2-\left(3+x^2 \right)^2\,dx\)

I am using the even function rule to make evaluating the definite integral easier.

Your simplification (expansion and collection of like terms in the integrand) is almost correct, and I suspect it was simply a careless mistake rather than a mistake in actual technique.

For the second one, have you drawn a diagram and determined the volume of an arbitrary shell?

MarkFL said:
The first one is incorrect. You want:

\(\displaystyle V=2\pi\int_0^1 4^2-\left(3+x^2 \right)^2\,dx\)

I am using the even function rule to make evaluating the definite integral easier.

Your simplification (expansion and collection of like terms in the integrand) is almost correct, and I suspect it was simply a careless mistake rather than a mistake in actual technique.

For the second one, have you drawn a diagram and determined the volume of an arbitrary shell?

what's my mistake there? i solved it again and the result is the same.

paulmdrdo said:
what's my mistake there? i solved it again and the result is the same.

\(\displaystyle 4^2-\left(3+x^2 \right)^2=16-\left(9+6x^2+x^4 \right)=7-6x^2-x^4\)

You see, you left off the exponent of the squared term.

oh yes. the answer should be 48pi/5.

the last problem could you show me how to set up the integral. i have no idea how to to that.

paulmdrdo said:

the last problem could you show me how to set up the integral. i have no idea how to to that.

Start by doing a sketch...

paulmdrdo said:

Yes, correct for the first one. Now for the second, consider the following diagram:

View attachment 1446

The region to be revolved is shaded in yellow, for an arbitrary shell, the radius $r$ is the horizontal line in green and the height $h$ is the vertical line in red. The thickness of the shell is $dx$. And so the volume of this element is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

If $x$ is the $x$-coordinate of the vertical line, then what is the radius when revolved about $x=-2$, i.e., what is the length of $r$? What is the length of $h$?

edit: I misread the lower limit, it should be -1 instead of 1, but the method is the same. :D

Attachments

• paulmdrdo2.jpg
    paulmdrdo2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 49
MarkFL said:
Yes, correct for the first one. Now for the second, consider the following diagram:

View attachment 1446

The region to be revolved is shaded in yellow, for an arbitrary shell, the radius $r$ is the horizontal line in green and the height $h$ is the vertical line in red. The thickness of the shell is $dx$. And so the volume of this element is:

\(\displaystyle dV=2\pi rh\,dx\)

If $x$ is the $x$-coordinate of the vertical line, then what is the radius when revolved about $x=-2$, i.e., what is the length of $r$? What is the length of $h$?

edit: I misread the lower limit, it should be -1 instead of 1, but the method is the same. :D

the radius is r=x+2 am i correct?

paulmdrdo said:
the radius is r=x+2 am i correct?

Yes, that is correct:

\(\displaystyle r=|x-(-2)|=|x+2|\)

For $x\in[-1,2]$, we have $x+2>0$ so:

\(\displaystyle r=x+2\)

What is $h$?

h is $e^{2x}$

then the integral should be $\displaystyle 2\pi\int_{-1}^2 (x+2)e^{2x}dx$

is this correct?

paulmdrdo said:
h is $e^{2x}$

then the integral should be $\displaystyle 2\pi\int_{-1}^2 (x+2)e^{2x}dx$

is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. (Sun)

Related to Integration application: solids of revolution

1. What is an integration application for solids of revolution?

An integration application for solids of revolution is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. This technique is commonly used in calculus and is important in many fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution is calculated by using the formula V = π ∫ f(x)^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that describes the cross-section of the solid and the integral is taken over the bounds of the shape's rotation. This formula can be modified for different shapes and rotation axes.

3. What are some common examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples of solids of revolution include spheres, cylinders, cones, and tori. These shapes can be created by rotating a circle, rectangle, triangle, or other two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis.

4. What are the applications of integration for solids of revolution?

The applications of integration for solids of revolution are vast and can be found in many scientific and engineering fields. For example, it can be used to find the volume of a blood vessel or organ in biology, the volume of a container in chemistry, or the volume of a turbine blade in engineering.

5. What are some challenges in using integration for solids of revolution?

One challenge in using integration for solids of revolution is determining the correct bounds of integration. This requires a thorough understanding of the shape and its rotation. Another challenge is finding the antiderivative of the function describing the cross-section, which may require advanced calculus techniques. Additionally, the integration process can be time-consuming and prone to error.