Integrating the time-indepdent Schrodinger equation

In summary, integrating the delta function between -\epsilon and \epsilon gives you a jump in the eigenfunction at x=0.2\alpha.
wrldt

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is confined to move in a one-dimensional and Diract delta-function attractive potential [itex]V(x)=-\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\alpha\delta(x)[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is positive.

Integrate eh time-independent Schrodinger equation between [itex]-\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Let [itex]\epsilon\to 0[/itex], show that the derivative of the eigenfunction [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] is discontinuous at x=0, and determine its jump at the point.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}-V(x)\psi=E\psi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I want to determine if I am approaching the problem correctly.
First we have:
[itex]\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}+\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\alpha\delta(x)\psi=\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}E\psi[/itex].
Then this simplifies to
[itex]\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\frac{\hbar^2}{m}\alpha\delta\psi=\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}[/itex]
Further simplifying
[itex]2\alpha\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\delta(x)\psi(x)=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\bigg|_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}[/itex]

The last equation shows that as $\epsilon \to 0$, the right hand side will tend to zero but the left hand side will explode. I'm wondering if my work sufficiently shows this.

The part I am stuck on is showing what its jump is at x=0.

Physics news on Phys.org
wrldt said:
[itex]2\alpha\int\limits_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}\delta(x)\psi(x)=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\bigg|_{-\epsilon}^{\epsilon}[/itex]

Your work up to here looks very good.

The last equation shows that as ##\epsilon \to 0##, the right hand side will tend to zero but the left hand side will explode. I'm wondering if my work sufficiently shows this.

Here's where you need to think some more about what you're getting. The left hand side does not explode. What does integrating over the delta function give you for any finite ##\epsilon##? Then let ##\epsilon## → 0. Similarly for the right hand side.

Last edited:

This simplies to something like [itex]2\alpha\psi(0)=\Delta\left(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x}\right)[/itex].

After some work I believe this simplies down to [itex]k=\alpha[/itex]

So now our [itex]E=-\frac{\hbar^2\alpha^2}{2m}[/itex].

I'm basically following the process that is going on on p. 71-72 of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

Last edited:

Related to Integrating the time-indepdent Schrodinger equation

1. What is the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location and time.

2. Why is it important to integrate the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

Integrating the time-independent Schrodinger equation allows us to solve for the wave function of a quantum system, which is essential for understanding its behavior. This equation is also the basis for many quantum mechanical calculations and predictions.

3. How is the time-independent Schrodinger equation solved?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and variational methods. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving for the wave function in each part.

4. What are the limitations of the time-independent Schrodinger equation?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is a non-relativistic equation, meaning it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. It also assumes that the potential energy of the system is time-independent, which may not be the case in certain scenarios.

5. How is the time-independent Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The time-independent Schrodinger equation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of electrons in solid-state materials, and understanding the behavior of quantum systems in general. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.