Integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the Schroedinger equation for a free particle, represented by \Psi(x,t) and \Psi_{p}(x,t). The solution is obtained using the integral of C(p), with a specific case where C(p) = e^{-(p-p_{0})^{2}/\sigma}. The problem at hand is to compute the wavefunction at time t=0, using the given equation \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-αp^{2}+βp}, with α as a positive real constant and β possibly complex. The individual is struggling with isolating the p^{2} term and using the relevant equation/hint. A suggestion is made to
seasponges

Homework Statement

[itex]\Psi(x,t) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} C(p)\Psi_{p}(x,t) dp[/itex]

is a solution to the Schroedinger equation for a free particle, where

[itex]\Psi_{p}(x,t) = Ae^{i(px-Ept)/\hbar}[/itex].

For the case [itex]C(p) = e^{-(p-p_{0})^{2}/\sigma}[/itex]

where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a real constant, compute the wavefunction at time t=0.

Homework Equations

[itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} e^{-αp^{2}+βp} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{α}}e^{\frac{β^{2}}{4\alpha}}[/itex]

where α is a positive real constant and β may be complex.

2. The attempt at a solution

This is the first part of one questions on a set of QM problems I've been given. I've made no progress with this part, because I don't know how to integrate the product of an exponential to a real number and an exponential to an imaginary number.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's keeping you from plugging everything in and using the relevant equation/hint?

I can't isolate the [itex]p^{2}[/itex] term.

When I take the treat the integrand as an exponential to a complex power, I wind up with

[itex]e^{-\frac{(p^{2}-2pp_{0}+p_{0}^{2})}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}p}[/itex]

I guess I'm still kind of confused about where you're getting stuck. This is just basic algebra.
$$-\frac{p^2 - 2pp_0 + p_0^2}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}p = -\frac{1}{\sigma}p^2 + \left(\frac{2p_0}{\sigma}+\frac{ix}{\hbar}\right) p - p_0^2.$$ You may, however, find it easier to change variables in the integral first using the substitution ##p' = p-p_0##, and then deal with the exponentials.

Ahh sweet, that's cleared things up a little - many thanks!

Related to Integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential

What is the formula for integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential?

The formula for integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential is ∫(e^ax)(e^bx)dx = (e^ax)/(a-b) + C, where a and b are real numbers and C is a constant of integration.

What is the purpose of integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential?

The purpose of integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential is to find the area under the curve formed by the product of the two functions. This can be useful in solving various problems in mathematics and physics.

Can the product of a real and a complex exponential be integrated using the substitution method?

Yes, the product of a real and a complex exponential can be integrated using the substitution method. This involves substituting a new variable for the exponent and then using the chain rule to simplify the integration.

What is the difference between integrating a real exponential and a complex exponential?

The main difference between integrating a real exponential and a complex exponential is that the integral of a complex exponential will result in a complex number, while the integral of a real exponential will result in a real number.

What are the common applications of integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential?

Integrating the product of a real and a complex exponential has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. Some common applications include solving differential equations, calculating probabilities in quantum mechanics, and finding the Fourier transform of a signal.