Integrating $\sec^2(2x)$: A Puzzler

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrating
In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of $\frac{\sec^2(2x)}{2+\tan(2x)}$ using a substitution method. The original suggestion of $u = \tan(2x)$ did not work, so the substitution $u = 2 + \tan(2x)$ was used instead. The final result is $\frac{1}{2}\ln\left(\frac{3}{2}\right)$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
I_{7}&=\int_{0}^{\pi/8}\frac{\sec^2(2x)}{2+\tan\left({2x}\right)} \\
&=
\end{align*}
not sure of the u substitution here... if $u=tan(2x)$ then $du=2sec^2(2x)$ but stuck with 2 in the denominator after subst

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the derivative of 2?

So maybe the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = 2 + \tan{(2\,x)} \end{align*}$ might be more appropriate...

$u=2+\tan(2x) \therefore du = 2 \sec^2(2x) \, dx$
so then
$\displaystyle I= 2\int_{2}^{3} \frac{1}{u}\,du=
\frac{1}{2}\left[ln(u)\right]_2^3$
so then
$I=\frac{1}{2}\ln\left({\frac{3}{2}}\right)$
hopefully

Last edited:
$$I=\color{red}\frac12\color{black}\int_2^3\frac1u\,\text{ d}u=\left[\frac12\log(u)\right]_2^3$$

Otherwise ok.

Related to Integrating $\sec^2(2x)$: A Puzzler

1. What is the equation for $\sec^2(2x)$?

The equation for $\sec^2(2x)$ is $\frac{1}{\cos^2(2x)}$.

2. What is the domain and range of $\sec^2(2x)$?

The domain of $\sec^2(2x)$ is all real numbers, except for values where the cosine function is equal to 0, since division by 0 is undefined. The range of $\sec^2(2x)$ is all positive real numbers, since the inverse of cosine squared will always result in a positive value.

3. How do you integrate $\sec^2(2x)$?

To integrate $\sec^2(2x)$, you can use the substitution method or the integration by parts method. Using the substitution method, let $u=2x$ and $du=2dx$. This will result in the integral becoming $\frac{1}{2}\int\sec^2(u)du$, which can then be solved using the power rule. Using the integration by parts method, let $u=\sec^2(2x)$ and $dv=dx$. This will result in the integral becoming $\int u\,dv$, which can then be solved using the product rule.

4. What is the derivative of $\sec^2(2x)$?

The derivative of $\sec^2(2x)$ is $4\sec(2x)\tan(2x)$.

5. What is the graph of $\sec^2(2x)$?

The graph of $\sec^2(2x)$ is a periodic function that oscillates between 1 and infinity. It has vertical asymptotes at the zeros of the cosine function, and the graph is symmetric about the y-axis.