Integrating for area under a curve.

In summary, the common area between the 2 curves can be found by using the method outlined in the marking scheme, but it does not account for the area below the x-axis.
Darth Frodo
So, as you can see in the attached pictures, I needed to find the common area bound by the 2 curves.

Is the method I have outlined correct because according to the marking scheme it just says

[itex]\int g(x)[/itex] - [itex]\int f(x)[/itex] (The limits are the same, -3/2 to 1)

The way I see it, this does not account for the little bit below the x axis. Am I wrong because I always thought with these area questions you had to the 2 sides of an axis separately.

Attachments

• Photo0076[1].jpg
    Photo0076[1].jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 412
  • Photo0077[1].jpg
    Photo0077[1].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Darth Frodo. The marking scheme is correct because using that method will find the signed area between f(x) and g(x) regardless of whether it is above or below y=0. You can think of a normal integration as being ∫g(x)dx-∫0dx, this will find the area bound by 0 and g(x), obviously ∫0dx is just 0. For this case we replace 0 with f(x) because we want the area between f(x) and g(x) not 0 and g(x).

Ok so I found another problem with area above and below the axis,

Is this correct. The graph will trap the area between the limits regardless of the side of the axis its on right?

Attachments

• Photo0078[1].jpg
    Photo0078[1].jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Photo0079[1].jpg
    Photo0079[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Photo0080[1].jpg
    Photo0080[1].jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 392
Darth Frodo said:
So, as you can see in the attached pictures, I needed to find the common area bound by the 2 curves.

Is the method I have outlined correct because according to the marking scheme it just says

[itex]\int g(x)[/itex] - [itex]\int f(x)[/itex] (The limits are the same, -3/2 to 1)

The way I see it, this does not account for the little bit below the x axis. Am I wrong because I always thought with these area questions you had to the 2 sides of an axis separately.

for integral g(x) dx, dx is width of elementary strip and g(x) is its y coordinate or height above x axis. Integrating this will give you only area b/w g(x) and x axis.

Doing same for f(x)dx first integral, we can divide it into 3 parts, -1.5 to -1, -1 to 0, 0 to 1
The -1.5 to -1 and 0 to 1 parts wil remove extra area that was calculated by g(x) integral ( the area which we didnt need)
Now for -1 to 0 part, f(x) is negative, so integral will solve out to be negative. But you have a - outside too. So this wil result in positive area after all. Also, this is the area of f(x) and x-axis below x axis.

Now third integral is also this is the area of f(x) and x-axis below x axis.
But this time it will be negative, as there is + outside integration.
So this will remove the required area that was added by second integral. So by removing third integral, you will get correct answer.

But the second problem I did, with the single curve, was that correct? Because that was actually an example in the book and it said to split it up into 2 areas. But when I tried it with the limits 1 to 5 it was wrong...

I'm totally confused now.

cupid.callin said:
Doing same for f(x)dx first integral, we can divide it into 3 parts, -1.5 to -1, -1 to 0, 0 to 1
The -1.5 to -1 and 0 to 1 parts wil remove extra area that was calculated by g(x) integral ( the area which we didnt need)
Now for -1 to 0 part, f(x) is negative, so integral will solve out to be negative. But you have a - outside too. So this wil result in positive area after all. Also, this is the area of f(x) and x-axis below x axis.

So does that mean that ∫ f(x) between -1.5 and 1 captures the area shown in the pic below?

Attachments

• Photo0081[1].jpg
    Photo0081[1].jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 440
Darth Frodo said:
So does that mean that ∫ f(x) between -1.5 and 1 captures the area shown in the pic below?
attachment.php?attachmentid=47879&d=1338491870.jpg

No. That integral will give the area of the green region that's above the x-axis minus the area of the green region that's below the x-axis.

Ok cool, thank you all for your help! This has been a little ill-defined in my head until now! Thanks to everyone!

It's always ∫(top curve)-(bottom curve) for this sort of problem. Just when the y=0 axis is the top/bottom, that integral disappears. This is what I meant by signed area. If you do ∫f(x)dx-∫g(x)dx where g is above f, then this will give you a negative area.

Darth Frodo said:

Yes it will give the area above x-axis as positive and below one as negative. This is because for limit -1 to 0, f(x) is negative

EDIT: Just like sammys said ... :-p

Related to Integrating for area under a curve.

1. What is the purpose of integrating for area under a curve?

Integrating for area under a curve is used to find the total area enclosed by a curve and the x-axis within a given interval. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to determine quantities such as displacement, work, and profit.

2. How is integration used to find area under a curve?

To find the area under a curve, we use a mathematical process called integration. This involves breaking the curve into small sections, approximating each section as a rectangle, and then summing up the areas of these rectangles to get an approximation of the total area under the curve. As we make the rectangles smaller and smaller, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the exact value of the area under the curve.

3. What are the different methods of integration for finding area under a curve?

There are several methods of integration, including the basic method of Riemann sums, the trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods differ in the shape of the rectangles used to approximate the curve and the level of accuracy they provide. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the curve and the desired level of precision.

4. Can integration be used for curves that are not continuous?

No, integration can only be used for continuous curves. This means that the curve has no breaks or gaps in its graph. If a curve is not continuous, we cannot use the methods of integration to find the area under it. In such cases, we need to use other techniques, such as the method of partitions, to estimate the area under the curve.

5. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. This means that the process of integration can be reversed by differentiation and vice versa. Integration is used to find the area under a curve, while differentiation is used to find the slope of a curve at a given point. These concepts are closely related and often used together in various applications in science and engineering.