Integrating factors for 1st OLDE

In summary, integrating factors are functions that can simplify the integration process for solving first order linear differential equations. They were discovered through trial and error and can be applied by multiplying the left side of the equation to make it a single derivative. This technique is not limited to linear equations, but a simple formula exists for them. As for the history of integrating factors, they are likely part of the techniques developed by mathematicians such as Newton and Leibniz.
Square1
So I just learned about these integrating factors and their utility in solving first order linear differential equations today. My mind is just kind of blown how it ends up simplifying the integration so much. Thats really pretty much the main thing I wanted to say... lol.

But also, how the hell are these kind of techniques discovered? Really (thats second question). Are they fluke coincidences that people just notice, "oh look multiply by e^integral of this P(x) through the expression and finding an answer to the equation is way easier!" Or is it more conscious implementation of some strategy, or noticing algebraic patterns. Anyone know about the history here? Is this all part ol Newtons package that he came up with? Sorry if the newbishness here is making some of you cringe lol. But i am just really amazed by this stuff.

Cheers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Such things are discovered in much the way many things are discovered- try this, try that, until one works! (Then publish it not telling anyone about all the mis-steps so you look really smart.)

Any First order linear differential equation can be written in the form y'+ a(x)y= f(x). An "integrating factor" is a function, [itex]\mu(x)[/itex] such that multiplying the left side of the equation makes left side a single derivative, [itex](\mu(x)y)'[/itex].

Apply the product rule to that: [itex](\mu(x)y)'= \mu y'+ \mu' y[/itex]. Of course, the point is to have that equal to [itex]\mu(y'+ a(x)y)= \mu y'+ \mu a(x)y[/itex]. Set them equal. [itex]\mu y'+ \mu' y= \mu y+ \mu a(x)y[/itex] so the [itex]\mu y'[/itex] terms cancel leaving [itex]\mu' y= \mu a(x)y[/itex] which gives the separable equation for [itex]\mu[/itex], [itex]\mu'= a(x)\mu[/itex] that is easy to solve.

Actually, any first order differential equation, linear or not, has an "integrating factor"- but it is only with linear equations that we can get a simple formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I see I see. And what about the discovery of these integration factors? I always wonder how much of what I learn in class is the stuff that Newton or leibniz (and even some others I believe) had to work with?

Related to Integrating factors for 1st OLDE

1. What is an integrating factor for 1st order linear differential equations (OLDE)?

An integrating factor is a function used to simplify the process of solving first order linear differential equations (OLDE). It is multiplied to both sides of the equation to transform the equation into a form that can be easily solved using standard integration techniques.

2. How do you find the integrating factor for a 1st order OLDE?

To find the integrating factor for a 1st order OLDE, you can use the formula e∫P(x)dx, where P(x) is the coefficient of the dependent variable in the differential equation. This formula can be directly applied if the equation is in the standard form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x).

3. Why do we need to use integrating factors for 1st order OLDEs?

Integrating factors are used to solve 1st order OLDEs because they help to simplify the process of solving the equations. They also help to solve equations that may not be solvable using standard integration techniques. Furthermore, integrating factors can help to solve more complex differential equations that involve higher order derivatives.

4. Are there any limitations to using integrating factors for 1st order OLDEs?

While integrating factors can greatly simplify the process of solving 1st order OLDEs, there are some limitations to their use. For example, the differential equation must be in a specific form (dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)) in order for the formula to be directly applicable. In some cases, finding the integrating factor may also be a complex process.

5. Can integrating factors be used for higher order differential equations?

Yes, integrating factors can also be used for higher order differential equations. However, the process of finding the integrating factor may become more complex depending on the order of the equation. In some cases, it may be necessary to use other techniques in addition to integrating factors to solve higher order differential equations.