Integrating factor, initial value problem

In summary, the conversation involves solving a differential equation using the Bernoulli method and an integrating factor. The appropriate substitution is suggested by the professor and the equation is made linear in order to use the integrating factor method.
jasonmcc
$
kxy \frac{dy}{dx} = y^2 - x^2 \quad , \quad
y(1) = 0
$

My professor suggests substituting P in for y^2, such that:

$
P = y^2
dP = 2y dy
$

I am proceeding with an integrating factor method, but unable to use it to separate the variables, may be coming up with the wrong integrating factor ( x )

Physics news on Phys.org
It's Bernoulli. I would do
\begin{align*}
kxy \frac{dy}{dx}&=y^{2}-x^{2} \\
\frac{dy}{dx}&= \frac{y}{kx}- \frac{x}{ky} \\
\frac{dy}{dx}- \frac{y}{kx}&=- \frac{x}{ky}.
\end{align*}
Then you can see that the appropriate substitution is what your professor suggested, which is $v=y^{1-(-1)}=y^{2}$. Then $dv/dx = 2y dy/dx$. Multiplying the equation by $2y$ yields
\begin{align*}
2y \frac{dy}{dx}- \frac{2 y^{2}}{kx}&=- \frac{2 x}{k} \\
\frac{dv}{dx}- \frac{2 v}{kx}&=- \frac{2x}{k}.
\end{align*}
This is first-order linear in $v$, so you can use the integrating factor method here.

Related to Integrating factor, initial value problem

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function that is used to solve a specific type of differential equation, known as a linear first-order differential equation. It helps to make the equation easier to solve by multiplying both sides of the equation by the integrating factor, which transforms the equation into one that can be solved more easily.

2. How do I find the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

To find the integrating factor, you need to first determine the type of differential equation you are dealing with. If it is a linear first-order differential equation, you can use the formula e^(integral of p(x)dx), where p(x) is the coefficient of the y' term. If it is not a linear first-order equation, there may be other methods or techniques required to find the integrating factor.

3. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves solving for a function and its derivative at a specific point or set of points. The initial values given are used to determine the unique solution to the equation. This type of problem is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world situations.

4. How do I solve an initial value problem using an integrating factor?

To solve an initial value problem using an integrating factor, you first need to find the integrating factor for the given differential equation. Then, you can use the integrating factor to transform the equation into one that can be solved more easily. Finally, you can use the initial values given to find the unique solution to the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using an integrating factor to solve a differential equation?

While an integrating factor is a useful tool for solving certain types of differential equations, it may not work for all equations. In some cases, the integrating factor may not exist or may be difficult to find. Additionally, this method may not be the most efficient or accurate way to solve a differential equation, so it is important to consider other techniques as well.