Integrating Difficult Gaussian Integrals for Multivariate Normal Distributions

In summary, the conversation discussed methods for evaluating an expectation value involving multivariate normal distributions and a function of the form cosh(xi). One approach involved transforming the random vector x into a vector y consisting of independent random variables, while another approach involved expanding cosh(xi) into a product of cosh(yj)'s. Both methods have their challenges, but may be feasible for solving the problem.
unchained1978
I'm dealing with multivariate normal distributions, and I've run up against an integral I really don't know how to do.

Given a random vector [itex]\vec x[/itex], and a covariance matrix [itex]\Sigma[/itex], how would you go about evaluating an expectation value of the form
[itex]G=\int d^{n} x \left(\prod_{i=1}^{n} f_{i}(x_{i})\right) e^{-\frac{1}{2} \vec x \cdot \Sigma^{-1}\cdot \vec x}[/itex]
I've tried expanding the [itex]f_{i}'s[/itex] into a power series, and then using the moment generating function to obtain the powers of [itex]x_{i}[/itex], but this really doesn't simplify the problem much. The function I'm currently considering is [itex]f_{i}(x_{i})=\cosh(x_{i})[/itex].
I would extremely appreciate anyone's input on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Transform the random vector x into a random vector y consisting of independent random variables. Each xi is a linear combination of yj's. cosh(xi) will then expand into a product of cosh(yj)'s and the integrals can then be evaluated.

As you see it may be quite messy, bur doable.

I thought about that, but the argument of the cosh becomes a sum, which really doesn't simplify things at all. Thanks though. I've thought about using Isserlis's theorem, (also known as Wick's theorem) but I can't find a good summary/statement of the theorem that's more precise than Wikipedia's.

unchained1978 said:
I'm dealing with multivariate normal distributions, and I've run up against an integral I really don't know how to do.

Given a random vector [itex]\vec x[/itex], and a covariance matrix [itex]\Sigma[/itex], how would you go about evaluating an expectation value of the form
[itex]G=\int d^{n} x \left(\prod_{i=1}^{n} f_{i}(x_{i})\right) e^{-\frac{1}{2} \vec x \cdot \Sigma^{-1}\cdot \vec x}[/itex]
I've tried expanding the [itex]f_{i}'s[/itex] into a power series, and then using the moment generating function to obtain the powers of [itex]x_{i}[/itex], but this really doesn't simplify the problem much. The function I'm currently considering is [itex]f_{i}(x_{i})=\cosh(x_{i})[/itex].
I would extremely appreciate anyone's input on this problem.

mathman said:
Transform the random vector x into a random vector y consisting of independent random variables. Each xi is a linear combination of yj's. cosh(xi) will then expand into a product of cosh(yj)'s and the integrals can then be evaluated.

As you see it may be quite messy, bur doable.

Another option would be to write ##\cosh(x_i) = (e^{x_i}+e^{-x_i})/2##; expanding out the products, the overall integral will look something like

$$G \propto \sum_{\sigma}\int d^{n} x \exp\left[-\frac{1}{2} \vec x \cdot \Sigma^{-1}\cdot \vec x + \vec J_\sigma \cdot \vec x\right],$$
where the ##J_\sigma## is a vector with entrees of ##\pm 1##, where ##\sigma## denotes all of the permutations of the ##\pm 1## signs. You can now complete the square and evaluate each of the integrals in the sum. I don't know if you will be able to write the overall result in a nice, closed form, though.

Mute's point is well taken. Once you write cosh(xi) = (exp(xi) + exp(-xi))/2, either approach works.

Related to Integrating Difficult Gaussian Integrals for Multivariate Normal Distributions

1. What is a difficult Gaussian integral?

A difficult Gaussian integral is a type of mathematical function that involves the integration of a Gaussian distribution, which is a bell-shaped probability curve. It is considered difficult because there is no known closed-form solution, meaning that it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

2. Why are Gaussian integrals important?

Gaussian integrals are important in many areas of science, particularly in statistics and physics. They are used to calculate probabilities and to describe the behavior of physical systems, such as the distribution of particles in a gas. They are also used in signal processing and image analysis.

3. What makes Gaussian integrals difficult to solve?

Gaussian integrals are difficult to solve because they involve an infinite number of terms, making them impossible to solve using traditional integration techniques. Additionally, the integrand (the function being integrated) contains both exponential and polynomial terms, which makes it challenging to find a closed-form solution.

4. Are there any techniques for solving difficult Gaussian integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to approximate or solve difficult Gaussian integrals. These include numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, as well as specialized techniques such as contour integration and the method of steepest descents.

5. How are difficult Gaussian integrals used in real-world applications?

Difficult Gaussian integrals are used in a variety of real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they are used in statistical analyses to calculate probabilities and to model the behavior of complex systems. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of particles and waves, and in finance, they are used to model stock prices and other financial data.