Integrating a Gaussian Pulse for Kinetic Energy Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in evaluating a specific integral involving a Gaussian pulse traveling in an infinite string under tension. The kinetic energy is derived from the integral of the partial, but further simplification proves challenging. The use of u-substitution and integration by parts is attempted, but the error function may be useful in solving the integral. Eventually, the conversation comes to the realization that partial integration can be used to solve the integral easily.
atqamar
I'm having a hard time evaluating this integral.

A Gaussian pulse [tex]\psi (y,t) = Ae^{-( \frac{y-ct}{a} )^2}[/tex] is traveling in an infinite string of linear mass density [tex]\rho[/tex], under tension [tex]T[/tex].

I know the Kinetic Energy is the integral of the partial: [tex]\frac{\rho}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t})^2 dy[/tex]. I evaluate the partial, and this simplifies to [tex]\frac{\rho}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (\frac{2c(y-ct)}{a^2} \psi)^2 dy[/tex].

I don't know where to proceed from here. I tried u-substitution, and integration by parts, with no success. I think the error function is useful in this, but we haven't covered this in the physics course yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integral is of the form [itex]\int x^2 e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] notice that this is the same as [itex] \int x (x e^{-x^2})dx[/itex] where the term between brackets is easy to integrate. Now use partial integration.

Oh stupid me. That wasn't tough at all. Thanks!

Related to Integrating a Gaussian Pulse for Kinetic Energy Calculation

What is Tough Wave Energy Integral?

Tough Wave Energy Integral is a measure of the amount of energy that can be extracted from ocean waves. It takes into account the wave height, period, and direction to calculate the total energy available.

How is Tough Wave Energy Integral calculated?

The Tough Wave Energy Integral is calculated by integrating the wave energy spectrum over all frequencies and wave directions. This results in a comprehensive measure of the total energy available in the waves.

Why is Tough Wave Energy Integral important?

Tough Wave Energy Integral is important because it helps to determine the potential for wave energy conversion. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of different wave energy devices and their placement in the ocean.

How does Tough Wave Energy Integral differ from other measures of wave energy?

Tough Wave Energy Integral differs from other measures of wave energy, such as wave power or wave height, because it takes into account both the frequency and direction of the waves. This provides a more comprehensive and accurate measure of the total energy available.

What factors affect the Tough Wave Energy Integral?

The Tough Wave Energy Integral is affected by a variety of factors, including wind speed, water depth, and wave steepness. It is also influenced by the characteristics of the wave energy device being used to extract the energy.