Integrating a Complex Math Problem - Need Help!

In summary, the conversation discussed how to integrate a general expression with multiple nested sine functions. The suggestion was to start with simpler cases and build up to the general expression. The Mathematica was used to find the values for specific cases, but a logical expression to describe the general expression is still being worked on. A recursive formula was also suggested as a potential solution.
pirce
Hello

I have problem with integrate

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\phi_1...\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}d\phi_{n-2}sin^{2(n-1)}\phi_1...sin^{2(n-k)}\phi_k ...sin^4\phi_{n-2}
[/tex]

Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, you got to start small with these things then build it back up. So how about starting with n=2:

[tex]\int_0^a\int_0^a \sin^2(\phi_1)\sin^4(\phi_2) d\phi_1 d\phi_2[/tex]

Alright, get that one straight, then add another one, then another one. Do maybe 3,4 or five that way and you'll (hopefully) see a trend that you can then use deduction to deduce the value for the general expression.

Using the Mathematica I found that
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^2xdx=\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex][tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^4xdx=\frac{3\pi}{16}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^6xdx=\frac{5\pi}{32}[/tex][tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^8xdx=\frac{35\pi}{256}[/tex]
[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^{10}xdx=\frac{63\pi}{512}[/tex]

so I can write

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}Sin^{2n}xdx=\frac{a_{2n} \pi }{2^{2n}}[/tex]

but I can't find any logical expression which describes an

Keep in mind the variables are separated so won't the answer be some kind of product like:

[tex]\displaystyle\prod_{n=1}^N (I_n)[/tex]

I think so anyway. So the [itex]a_n[/itex] term may be a problem. Ok, what happens when you just solve for the antiderivative when n=2, n=3, n=4, n=5. Can you see some kind of trend there?.

I think I may have led you astray on this and now suggest we focus on the recursive formula:

[tex]\int \sin^n(x)dx=-\frac{1}{n} \cos(x)\sin^{n-1}(x)+\frac{n-1}{n}\int \sin^{n-2}(x)dx[/tex]

Haven't worked it out yet but it looks encouraging.

Related to Integrating a Complex Math Problem - Need Help!

1. What is a complex math problem?

A complex math problem is a mathematical equation or concept that involves multiple steps, variables, or operations. It often requires a deep understanding of mathematical principles and techniques to solve.

2. How do I approach solving a complex math problem?

The best approach to solving a complex math problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the key variables and operations involved, and use mathematical principles and techniques to solve each part before combining them to find the final solution.

3. What are some common techniques for solving complex math problems?

Some common techniques for solving complex math problems include using algebraic equations, applying geometric principles, using trigonometric identities, and using calculus methods such as derivatives and integrals. It is important to have a strong foundation in these mathematical concepts in order to effectively apply them to complex problems.

4. How can I check my work when solving a complex math problem?

One way to check your work when solving a complex math problem is to plug your final solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies all the conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to visualize the problem and check for any errors in your calculations.

5. What resources are available to help me with complex math problems?

There are many resources available to help with complex math problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, math forums, and tutoring services. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek guidance from a teacher or mentor when needed.