Integrate data plot, combine errors including correlation

In summary, the person wants to add errors to two correlated data points and use the co-variance matrix to find the variance.
venus_in_furs
Hello

I have a set of data points, with errors (X1 , Y1 +- deltaY1) , (X2 , Y2 +-deltaY2) etc
I have the covariance matrix for these bins

I want to integrate this set of data points: SUM_i ( Y_i * X_binWidth_i )

How do I combine the errors, taking into consideretation the covariance matrix?
So I end up with a single value and a single error?

If anyone can explain or point me in the direction of some text about this that would be very helpful thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So for two numbers that are correlated, if I wanted to add them I would do
y1 with error delta1, y2 with error delta2

B = y1 + y2

And the thing i want is detalB = (delta1)^2 + (delta2)^2 + 2 cov[ y1, y2 ]

But what do I do when I am trying to add more than two numbers that are all correlated.. i.e. integrate a set of correlated data points.

venus_in_furs said:
So for two numbers that are correlated, if I wanted to add them I would do
y1 with error delta1, y2 with error delta2

B = y1 + y2

And the thing i want is detalB = (delta1)^2 + (delta2)^2 + 2 cov[ y1, y2 ]

But what do I do when I am trying to add more than two numbers that are all correlated.. i.e. integrate a set of correlated data points.
Basically the same thing: sum of all squares and twice the sum of all covariances gives the variance of the sum.

Hey venus_in_furs.

General co-variance formulas can be done using matrix techniques with the co-variance term.

There is a vCv^t formulation where C is the co-variance matrix and v represents the scalar component of the random variable.

It mimics the variance results that are proven with the normal Var[] operator but it allows it to be done with matrices and vectors in an arbitrary fashion.

A multi-variate statistics textbook should have it (or any other similar resource).

Related to Integrate data plot, combine errors including correlation

1. What is the purpose of integrating data plot and combining errors including correlation?

Integrating data plot and combining errors including correlation is a statistical method used to analyze the relationship between two or more variables. It allows us to visualize and quantify the degree of correlation between the variables, as well as the uncertainty associated with the data.

2. How is correlation calculated and what does it represent?

Correlation is calculated using a statistical measure called the correlation coefficient, which ranges from -1 to 1. A positive correlation coefficient indicates a positive relationship between the variables, while a negative coefficient indicates a negative relationship. A coefficient of 0 means there is no correlation between the variables.

3. Can you explain how to interpret the results of an integrated data plot?

An integrated data plot typically consists of a scatter plot with a line of best fit. The slope of the line represents the degree of correlation between the variables, with a steeper slope indicating a stronger correlation. The spread of the data points around the line of best fit gives an indication of the amount of error or uncertainty in the data.

4. What are the potential sources of error in integrated data plots?

There are several sources of error in integrated data plots, including measurement error, random variation, and bias. Measurement error refers to errors in the data collection process, while random variation is the natural variability in the data. Bias can occur when there are systematic errors in the data collection or analysis process.

5. How can integrated data plots with combined errors be used in scientific research?

Integrated data plots with combined errors can be used to identify and quantify relationships between variables in scientific research. They can also help to determine the statistical significance of these relationships and provide insights into potential sources of error or uncertainty in the data. These plots can aid in making informed conclusions and decisions based on the data.