Who does artwork, and in what media?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary: I also like Escher, who does more abstract work. And I am a big fan of the artist named "F.L.U.D.D." - his paintings are really cool!F.L.U.D.D. is a great artist!Originally posted by Moni F.L.U.D.D. is a great artist! What is your favorite artist?My favorite artist is definitely van Gogh. I also really like F.L.U.D.D. and Escher.Originally posted by rick1138
zoobyshoe
Who does artwork, and in what media?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! I do a little! Not professional just do it as I like Arts!

I do all with Pencil that's what I think ancient one and gorgeous :)

Originally posted by Moni I do all with Pencil that's what I think ancient one and gorgeous :)
Yes, I do pencil drawings myself.
It is a gorgeous medium.

You do people, landscapes, abstract?

That's excellent, Moni! (I didn't happen to check that thread.)

I also prefer to draw people, rather than landscapes or still lifes. For abstract stuff my favorite medium is colored pencil.

Thanks! zoobyshoe!

It's very hard to find Science people (mainly students) interested in Arts! They just love arts, enjoy movies but not make many!

It's good that you're not only interested but also do them...fine :smile:

From the thread "Playing Music" I find out a lot of people who post here play musical instruments. I'm betting there are a lot of amateur artists at PF as well.

I've been drawing and painting since I was about 7. My preferred medium has always been charcoal though. I've made a few bucks from some of my work but I don't think I will do it all my life since I'm still young.

Originally posted by einsteinian77
I've been drawing and painting since I was about 7. My preferred medium has always been charcoal though. I've made a few bucks from some of my work but I don't think I will do it all my life since I'm still young.
What kind of subject matter do you prefer?

I don't get the impression charcoal is an easy medium to handle.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
What kind of subject matter do you prefer?

I don't get the impression charcoal is an easy medium to handle.

Yes! einsteinian77!
What's your subject matter?

Do anyone of you know computer arts...I mean: photoshop, Corel, Illustrator or even 3DStudio Max or Maya ?

My favorite subject matter has always been faces. I've done hundreds of faces and just about all of them I've done in charcoal, ink, and pencil. I really only use oils for landscapes.

I don't know any photoarts really.

who are your favorite artists? Mine are van gogh, Escher, and someone you probably haven't heard of

100 faces! Awsome! don't you upload your works? We just want to see your work and enjoy your arts!

But I can only use pencils, no ink or any other media :( Actually I'm self taught :)

My fav. may be not so famous one but I think you should see his works...Exellent isn't it !

Here is his fantastic gallery:

http://www.brownblackandwhite.com/gallery.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very hard to find Science people (mainly students) interested in Arts!

I am actually more of an arts person interested in the sciences - I work in most physical painting and drawing mediums, and in computer mediums as well,except I have only played with 3d programs similar to Maya. I'm also interested in a-life, though a lot of people don't consider that to be art.

It seems fine too!

I think Greg now can open a secion in PF Lounge for the creative works of the PF members! That may be any good poem, poetry or any other art works! For art works img link will be better than uploading...

It's true there are sepatete sections in many good sites for those particular subjects. But those are for professionals...here members are mainly science orientied so their works may not be at that level. But still they can share their works with these familier faces :)

Then ...

I don't know how to upload, but maybe you can tell me how? I liked the gallery you showed me very much he seems like a very talented sketcher. I'd really like to show you my work so if you could tell me how to I would be grateful, thanks.

Originally posted by rick1138
I am actually more of an arts person interested in the sciences
This describes me as well. I've always found both art and science intriguing, but the bulk of the weight has been on the art side.
I work in most physical painting and drawing mediums, and in computer mediums as well,except I have only played with 3d programs similar to Maya. I'm also interested in a-life, though a lot of people don't consider that to be art.
What kind of subject matter do you do in your painting and drawing?

What is a-life?

Originally posted by einsteinian77 who are your favorite artists? Mine are van gogh, Escher, and someone you probably haven't heard of
Yes, I think van Gogh was the greatest. Personally, I can't paint and I can't do landscapes, so I am mezmerized by his abilities with those two things.

Of course I like many, many artists, but he is my favorite.

I don't have a scanner, myself, but maybe I could do it on a friend's computer. It would be fun to show my stuff.

I didn't have much time to answer the question yesterday. So here is the rest of my post.

I'm a lot like you zooby and rick. An artist interested in physics.

I've done works in oil, acrylic, watercolor, pen and ink, pencil, color pencil, charcoal, etc. even clay sculpture (I made several thousand dollars sculpting clay Bas Relief works with western themes that were turned into molds and copied with a carving machine into wooden panels for executive desks), and computer art, using Corel Draw and Paint Shop Pro.

My favorite medium is acrylic paint. I started painting in oils when I was about 9 years old and switched to acrylic when I heard they dry faster.

Of my recent painting projects I have two favorites, one is a series of imaginary nudes in outdoor settings in the moonlight and torchlight. The other is a series of planet paintings.

Originally posted by Artman I've done works in oil, acrylic, watercolor, pen and ink, pencil, color pencil, charcoal, etc. even clay sculpture
Hence, the name, no doubt.
(I made several thousand dollars sculpting clay Bas Relief works with western themes that were turned into molds and copied with a carving machine into wooden panels for executive desks), and computer art, using Corel Draw and Paint Shop Pro.
Way to go! It's difficult to get hooked up with the right people to get paid appropriately for your work.

Portraits of Native Americans are one of my own favorite subjects.

Hence, the name, no doubt.

Yup.

Way to go! It's difficult to get hooked up with the right people to get paid appropriately for your work.

Yup again. That was a great time for me as an artist. I was also going to the shore every couple of weeks to paint, as I would stand there working, someone would come along and buy the painting or commission another work. I live too far away from the shore to do that now.

Portraits of Native Americans are one of my own favorite subjects.

I like the works of Remington and Charles Russell.

Photographs of Native Americans are interesting also.

zooby...i hope you are not just referring to art as drawing and painting...my fiance calls me an artisan because i create many different "useful" things that have my own artistic flair such as beadwork, cooking and my newest interest of quilting...quilting can be just like a painting with using vibrant olors of fabric that create an overall picture...to me, art is the human spirit at it's finest, and this is expressed in many different ways...

Originally posted by Kerrie
zooby...i hope you are not just referring to art as drawing and painting...my fiance calls me an artisan because i create many different "useful" things that have my own artistic flair such as beadwork, cooking and my newest interest of quilting...quilting can be just like a painting with using vibrant olors of fabric that create an overall picture...to me, art is the human spirit at it's finest, and this is expressed in many different ways...
Don't worry. In my mind art is anything that is done artistically.

I also have made quilts and have tons of books on quilting. I have seen quilts which, in my mind, should be hung in museums next to van Goghs and Monets.

For some people it is necessary to create a big distinction between things that are made solely to be beautiful and things that also have a utilitarian purpose. I have never had much interest in that distinction.

Music, noise, drawing, video, dance, sculptures, acting, spoken word, writting fiction, and radio are my most common.
some of it gets reccorded some not.

I've drawn ever since I was a kid, although I never had any formal training. My media has always been a number 2 pencil on a drawing pad (or pen in notebook paper :smile:). I wanted to take a painting course in college, but the scheduling was always bad (something like 9-12, or 12-3... always interfered with other classes I needed to take).

I have some drawings up on my website if anyone is interested. Here are some of my favorites:

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/divinity.gif
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/gravity.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/lonely.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/misery.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/evolution.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/madness.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/lifa.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/devolution.html
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/bm56/art/zero.html

As you can probably tell, the muse tends to be with me in the not-so-good times. :smile: I have found it incredibly cathartic at times to draw as an outlet for my emotions. But I tend to be very on again, off again with my art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypnagogue,

Your drawings show a great sense of composition, which I envy because I don't have that. You also can do a good line, by which I mean that the contours and form of some of the lines is an aesthetically pleasing event in and of itself. I also can't do that.

Thanks, zooby, for your comments. I have a general idea of what you mean by composition but I'm not sure if it's some special term for artwork.

I'm sure you can do many things in drawing that I just can't either. For instance, I always frustrate myself when I try to draw something specifically, either by planning an image beforehand or trying to copy something realistically. Since most drawing technique books I have looked at seem to rely on the skill of being able to draw precisely and put images to paper reliably, I have been discouraged from trying out more formal attempts at drawing. I find I draw best when I just go for it without thinking. A lot of my drawings start by drawing random squiggles and developing the picture from there as I go.

I suggest you give your friend a visit, because I would love to see your artwork.

Composition in art is a matter of how all the elements are positioned relative to each other on the page. The word "balance" is often brought into discussions of composition, but in my mind it has more to do with harmony and dissonance, if you can think of those words in visual terms.

Composition in a straightforward portrait, which I do a lot of, is a no-brainer. But in my colored pencil drawings which I do the same way you described - starting out doodling - I frequently loose sight of how one thing fits in with, and relates to everything else. The result is that the overall composition isn't particularly pleasing.

As far as realistic drawing goes, just get yourself a copy of "Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain". Should be in any library. The author, Betty Edwards, specializes in revolutionizing peoples basic ability to draw realistically in a short time. She has a solution for every frustration the self taught artist experiences. Once you get the hang of drawing realistically from life or photographs you can incorporate the skill into the works that come completely out of your immagination.

I'll see what I can do about getting access to a scanner.

hypnagogue,

Nice drawings.

You would probably be interested in something called the Voynich manuscipt. It's a mysterious document written in the middle ages in a language that has never been translated. It is full of drawings of unreal plants, astronomical and microscopic images, tiny naked figures, odd plumbing fixtures, etc. The illustrations in it are similar in style to your work.

Check this out: http://www.voynich.nu/

Originally posted by Artman
Beautiful drawing Moni.

Thanks! Artman thank you very much :smile: :smile: :smile:

Originally posted by einsteinian77
I don't know how to upload, but maybe you can tell me how? I liked the gallery you showed me very much he seems like a very talented sketcher. I'd really like to show you my work so if you could tell me how to I would be grateful, thanks.

Thanks! You may become member and submit here:

http://www.gfxartist.com

And of course give the link here to share :)

Originally posted by Artman
hypnagogue,

Nice drawings.

You would probably be interested in something called the Voynich manuscipt. It's a mysterious document written in the middle ages in a language that has never been translated. It is full of drawings of unreal plants, astronomical and microscopic images, tiny naked figures, odd plumbing fixtures, etc. The illustrations in it are similar in style to your work.

Check this out: http://www.voynich.nu/

Interesting, Artman. Thanks for the comments and the link. I've never heard of this work before. Just from the herbal/pharmaceutical pictures in conjunction with the astronomical/astrological pictures, it seems to me that the manuscript may be shamanic in nature.

Just out of curiousity, what in my art reminded you of these illustrations?

Originally posted by hypnagogue
Interesting, Artman. Thanks for the comments and the link. I've never heard of this work before. Just from the herbal/pharmaceutical pictures in conjunction with the astronomical/astrological pictures, it seems to me that the manuscript may be shamanic in nature.

Just out of curiousity, what in my art reminded you of these illustrations?

The surreal biological feel of many of the drawings that you linked, such as your drawing titled "Evolution." Also, the undulating line and composition and the linear treatment of the nude in "Divinity."

You do nice work. Very creative, obviously drawn from your imagination.

I have always been a portrait artist, and when I lived in Chicago, I did accept commisions. My preferred medium is pencil, but about 14 years ago I branched out into charcoal & pastel.

My problem is that I have zero creativity, so I never considered myself an artist as much as a human xerox machine. My drawings look like photographs. I have always been able to draw exact duplicates of anything I see, but I can't invision things.

It's odd, but after I would do a drawing, I could not believe that I did it. Does anyone else feel that way?

Shortly after I moved into this house, all of my artwork had been temporarily stored in the basement & it flooded, destroying all but a few pieces. That part of me died that day. I haven't returned to drawing since. Maybe some day.

Moni, I remember you mentioning drawing & that's how I stumbled on this thread. I'd like to see more of your work.