Aliens/Intelligant Life forms, do they exist?

In summary: Originally posted by Viper In summary, there is likely alien life out there, but it is very hard to make.
Viper
Do you think that they will ever contact us or vice versa?
I can`t believe that with all the Trillions of planets there are there is not one planet with remotely the same conditions or atmosphere of earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Some would say that, with an infinite universe, you're mathematically guaranteed to have another planet like this one.

I agree

Dig what? In visible universe only we have at least 1021 stars (and many more moons). Can you imagine that they ALL are lifeless? I can't.

So, there is tons of various lives out there and billions if not trillions of civilized forms. But because they are quite far from each other, chances to communicate (not to say travel) are very slim.

Viper - I simple concept. A beautiful concept. Good post man. Let me give you my thoughts on all facets, as alien life to me is a very beautiful thing.

Statistically, as Alex said, it's incredibally likely. In fact, it's so likely, even I (an anal-retentive logicopath some of you might say) would say it MUST true.

Will "they" ever contact "us"? Well, I wonder what a statistician would say about this. What's the likelihood (which would require a lot of known variables) that "they" would contact "us" in the next 1000 years? 500 years? 10,000 years?

It's the egocentricity of human nature that makes people absolutely believe that an event that they have emotional investment in MUST happen in their life time.

Every generation thinks jesus is coming back "in their lifetime". Every generation thinks an atom bomb will go off "in their lifetime" Every generation thinks _____ is the new antichrist. And every generation (for the most part) thinks aliens will come "in their lifetime".

Recently I've watched man in depth shows on special science channels I get about OUR SOLAR SYSTEM.

Perhaps, an even better question is to ask:

Given the evidence that MARS may have water in it, and given the fact that EUROPA (A moon if jupiter) does indeed have an ocean underneath a layer of ice, the ocean and ice of which spread across the entire sphere of the planet - is their multi-cellular life in OUR SOLAR SYSTEM, or HAS THEIR BEEN such life.

To me, I'd say there must have been single cellular life in our solar system. But that's certianly open for debate.

Getting to multi-cellular ogranisms is a bit more difficult, shoot it can take a few billion years sometimes!

Also, What do we think about life coming to Earth via an intercepting object? Anything from a meteor to some long past alien group landing here for a vacation on an intersolar cruise?

I enjoy talking about space because even with the evidence we have on certain things, it's open to happy debate, and it's all good.!

2 cents

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist
...and given the fact that EUROPA (A moon if jupiter) does indeed have an ocean underneath a layer of ice, the ocean and ice of which spread across the entire sphere of the planet...

That is not a fact. It is a possibility.
The facts are: Europa's surface is mostly covered with frozen water. There is a non-water core in Europa. There are sources of energy that could melt some of the ice. We do not know how thick the water-ice is nor if any is melted underneath.

Keep the change.

J-Man, you're incorrect.

Wave beams have determined that Europa, from the outside towards the center consists of

1. Ice surface

2. Ocean in middle

3. Solid core

This is new news, that the waves have determined this, so you might not yet be aware.

But it has been proven

Still, life as we know it is pretty hard to make. First, you need the right conditions to make the right amino acids, which in turn need to form the right proteins, which need to go in the correct sequence to form DNA to make cells. And the chances that all this could happen are very small.

Originally posted by Psyber freek
Still, life as we know it is pretty hard to make. First, you need the right conditions to make the right amino acids, which in turn need to form the right proteins, which need to go in the correct sequence to form DNA to make cells. And the chances that all this could happen are very small.

There are no "right" amino acids.
There are no "right" proteins.
There is no "correct" DNA sequence to make cells.

Furthermore, "life as we know it" doesn't require these things at all. Most yes, but not all.

Originally posted by Psyber freek
Still, life as we know it is pretty hard to make.

Hard to conclude that since we just have one example of a success. We don't have any good success-vs-failure data to run any statistics. We don't even know if our closest neighbors (Mars, Venus) have had life or not. And we've only just cleared 100 in the number of discovered planets in the universe (of course, there are more...we just have not found them yet).

Greetings !

For anyone interested in crazy ideas I
once imagined that Europan complex
life forms could exist. They would
enitialy form as organic molecules
would stick relativly close together
along the magnetic field lines of Jupiter
and draw energy from the interactions
of the field and the ocean. You would
get very long magneticly oriented snakes.
Another more "conventional" possibility
is life close to the bottom of the ocean
near the hot and gravitationaly excited
core of the moon where the resulting
geothermal energy could possibly nurture a
limmited eco-system capable of supporting small
and yet complex marine life forms.

Live long and prosper.

"The surest sign of alien life outside of our planet, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us" - Bill Watterson

Last edited:
J-Man, you're incorrect.

Wave beams have determined that Europa, from the outside towards the center consists of

1. Ice surface

2. Ocean in middle

3. Solid core

This is new news, that the waves have determined this, so you might not yet be aware.

But it has been proven

When did you hear this and where? Do you have a link? I've been waiting for this quetion to be put to rest, and would love to read about the final proof.

This article was published at Space.com just five days ago (May 15th), and the question was still open.

I concede the possibility that I don't have the latest information, but I too would like to know where this "new news" came from. Who did it? What instruments produced these "wave beams"? How conclusive is the data? (Many properties of liquid-water and ice-water are similar.) When did it happen?

Please prove me wrong, I'd love to know, but I can't just take your word for it. (I'm from Missouri, you got to show me.)

Wrong. There two forms of amino acids, left handed and right handed. Only left handed amino acids are found in life. When scientists make amino acids, only half are left handed.

There are no "right" proteins.

yes there are. DNA is incredibly complex. You can't just through proteins together to make it. There is a correct sequence. How do you think genetic defects happen?

Furthermore, "life as we know it" doesn't require these things at all. Most yes, but not all.

Actually, life does require amino acids, proteins, and DNA. ALL living things have them, even viruses.

Originally posted by Psyber freek Actually, life does require amino acids, proteins, and DNA. ALL living things have them, even viruses. [/B]
All living things that we know of anyway. You can't assume that alien life looks ANYTHING like "life as we know it."

Originally posted by LogicalAtheist:

Originally posted by Psyber freek:
Wrong. There two forms of amino acids, left handed and right handed. Only left handed amino acids are found in life. When scientists make amino acids, only half are left handed.

No offense man, but being that I am fully educated in biology, medicine, and neuroscience, I'm not a good person to question the basis of biology with. Furthermore you missed my point completely. My point goes beyond Biology. There are two forms of amino acids out of the now 22 (or 23) discovered. Any amino acid could be inside life, not just the ones here on Earth. It's a fundamental question, you're looking to narrow. We're talking about ALIENS HERE NOT EARTHLINGS!

There are no "right" proteins

yes there are. DNA is incredibly complex. You can't just through proteins together to make it. There is a correct sequence. How do you think genetic defects happen?

See above. We're talking about aliens, and you're being Earth narrow here! Life doesn't need DNA at all. And there are no correct anything for life. Way to narrow!

No offense man, but being that I am fully educated in biology, medicine, and neuroscience, I'm not a good person to question the basis of biology with. Furthermore you missed my point completely. My point goes beyond Biology. There are two forms of amino acids out of the now 22 (or 23) discovered. Any amino acid could be inside life, not just the ones here on Earth. It's a fundamental question, you're looking to narrow. We're talking about ALIENS HERE NOT EARTHLINGS!

There are no "right" proteins

See above. We're talking about aliens, and you're being Earth narrow here! Life doesn't need DNA at all. And there are no correct anything for life. Way to narrow!

For starters, sir, you did say that life as we know it doesn't depend on protein, amino acids, or DNA. (paraphrasing). So when you make a statement like that we're going to question your biology, whether or not you're "fully educated in biology, medicine, and neuroscience.)

Secondly, if you are indeed fully educated in biology, medicine, and neuroscience than you can appreciate how complex biochemical machinery is and that it would require quite specific conditions to evolve. You seem quite sure that life doesn't need nucleic acid, but can you come up with a plausible explanation of how life could evolve without similar chemistry?

You seem quite sure that life doesn't need nucleic acid, but can you come up with a plausible explanation of how life could evolve without similar chemistry?
Can you make a plausible explanation ruling out the existence of life-like things without similar chemistry? Because you must show that there is absolutely no possibility of an alternative life system, not challenge show that there is such a possibility, which is the default option.

Originally posted by russ_watters
All living things that we know of anyway. You can't assume that alien life looks ANYTHING like "life as we know it."
Exactly. This is what many people don't think about.

Silicon beasts...

Originally posted by Alex
"The surest sign of alien life outside of our planet, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us" - Bill Watterson

Oh please... and we tried to contact every alien in this universe isn't it?

Originally posted by drag
Silicon beasts...

We have those on Earth now. Oh wait, you said "beasts". Never mind.

Guybrush Threepwood - 'Twas just a joke by a cartoonist, not a mathematical/scientific statement of proof.

Originally posted by Phobos
We have those on Earth now. Oh wait, you said "beasts". Never mind.

LOL! Very funny Phobos.

Anyway, a couple of points on this topic:

1) Carbon life may not be the only kind of life. Thus amino acids may be entirely unnecesarry to extraterrestrial lifeforms.

2) While it is very likely that there are other lifeforms on other planets (inevitable if the Universe is infinite in size), it is not necessarily intelligent life.

3) The question that Viper asked was, will they ever try to contact us. IMO, it'd be like us finding an ant-hill and stooping down to their level, to teach them the concepts of string theory and space travel (actually, I borrowed this from Michio Kaku). Basically, we are not even yet a Type 1 civilization yet, and so intelligent aliens (capable of interstellar travel) would probably have no interest in us at all.

Originally posted by Mentat
LOL! Very funny Phobos.
Hey ! I'm the one who wrote the joke ! :wink:

Anyway, your second point is also funny Mentat...:wink:

Bwahaha! Stolen another one!

True. Alright, you officially have credit for making me crack up .

Anyway, your second point is also funny Mentat...:wink:

Why do I sense a wuliheronish debate on infinity coming up here?

but of course they exist, check your statistics

Originally posted by Phobos
Bwahaha! Stolen another one!
Oh yeah ?!
Well, here's how small you are:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9578
Check out the close-up ! That's a fish face at the lower left...
Originally posted by demoremda
but of course they exist, check your statistics
Yep Mentat, demoremda just gave you the sum-up. :wink:
No need to get dense here.

Last edited:
Oh yeah ?!
Well, here's how small you are:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=9578

*LOL*
I'm not small, I'm just "way out there".
But hey, I'm bigger than the rock that killed the dinos!
Don't make me alter my trajectory!

Ah... didn't really think about this one. Unless we take the most drastic interpretations of evolutionary convergence, it is far less likely that two populations were separately evolve to a similarity that would allow a reasonable form of communication.
But you never know...

what FZ+ said, but that's not to mention the difficulty created by the vastness of space, and the light-speed restriction on all information.

i'll do as mentat did and insert my opinions on the matter:

1)i agree that life may be possible on other planets, though a very slim chance.

2)i agree that this life may take a very alien form. (i.e. not like life on Earth in any respects.)

3)i think the chances of this life being "intelligent" (in our use of the word) is next to nil. our human intelligence is a result of a series of completely random genetic mutations which would practically never take place again in the universe.

4)i think this life might be so alien, we might not classify it as life. we need a wider definition of it.

5) the alien life form will definatly not be anything like ET or Star Wars or any other sci-fi characters that have two arms, two legs, two eyes, and green skin.

6) i wonder, would an alien life form still follow the evolutionary process, or not? initially, i'd say not, but that might be becuase we can't understand what other process it could take.

Greetings !

Good one Phobos !
Originally posted by FZ+
Ah... didn't really think about this one. Unless we take the most drastic interpretations of evolutionary convergence, it is far less likely that two populations were separately evolve to a similarity that would allow a reasonable form of communication.
But you never know...
I do not think that is entirely correct. If they are
intellegent than they will have to have a pretty evolved
perspective on the world, however, that perspective will be
the result of the world - guided and shaped by its apparent
principles. Hence, some simularities and common points
of reference will have to exist.

Live long and prosper.

First of all, 'life' needs to be defined. Because the chance that there are human-like beings somewhere else is pretty slim, but the chance of silicon-based life being somewhere out there might be more possible. So, what is life?

Another thing is, the universe being 'infinite' (in some dimensions), or containing an infinite amount of stars and planets (unlikely, or do it seems...) doesn't mean life MUST exist somewhere else besides here. Like, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... ... n is infinite, but no two numbers are alike.

<h2>1. Are there any confirmed sightings of aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>As a scientist, I cannot confirm or deny the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been numerous reported sightings and encounters, none have been scientifically proven.</p><h2>2. What evidence do we have for the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>Currently, there is no concrete evidence that definitively proves the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. However, there are ongoing scientific efforts, such as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program, to search for signs of intelligent life in the universe.</p><h2>3. How likely is it that there is other intelligent life in the universe?</h2><p>Based on the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets, it is highly probable that there is other intelligent life in the universe. However, the exact likelihood is still unknown and subject to ongoing scientific research and speculation.</p><h2>4. Have we ever made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>There is no scientific evidence to suggest that we have made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been reported encounters and alleged communication, none have been scientifically verified.</p><h2>5. What are the potential implications of discovering aliens or intelligent life forms?</h2><p>The discovery of aliens or intelligent life forms would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have social, cultural, and technological impacts, as well as raise ethical and philosophical questions. However, until such a discovery is made, the potential implications remain purely speculative.</p>

1. Are there any confirmed sightings of aliens or intelligent life forms?

As a scientist, I cannot confirm or deny the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been numerous reported sightings and encounters, none have been scientifically proven.

2. What evidence do we have for the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that definitively proves the existence of aliens or intelligent life forms. However, there are ongoing scientific efforts, such as the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program, to search for signs of intelligent life in the universe.

3. How likely is it that there is other intelligent life in the universe?

Based on the vastness of the universe and the number of potentially habitable planets, it is highly probable that there is other intelligent life in the universe. However, the exact likelihood is still unknown and subject to ongoing scientific research and speculation.

4. Have we ever made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that we have made contact with aliens or intelligent life forms. While there have been reported encounters and alleged communication, none have been scientifically verified.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering aliens or intelligent life forms?

The discovery of aliens or intelligent life forms would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place in it. It could also have social, cultural, and technological impacts, as well as raise ethical and philosophical questions. However, until such a discovery is made, the potential implications remain purely speculative.