How can I determine the acceleration due to gravity using simple measurements?

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in proving a statement related to acceleration. They provide the equation for gravitational force and Newton's law, and request help in obtaining an expression for acceleration due to gravity. They also mention conducting an experiment to determine this value and ask for guidance in presenting their findings.
mattmate
I need to prove the folowing statement. Can someone please help me as i am having trouble working out the formula needed to determine a value for acceleration. (This has to be proved as simply as possible, using things easily measured, ie Mass, time etc...

Please help as soon as possible,
Thanx
matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational force is given by

[tex]F= \frac {GM_em} {r^2} [/tex]

Where
[tex]M_e=[/tex] the mass of the earth
[tex]m=[/tex] the mass of some object
[tex]r=[/tex] radius of the earth
[tex]G=[/tex] The Gravitational constant.

Newtons law

[tex]F= ma[/tex]

Use these two relationships to get an expression for the acceleration due to gravity.

I am guessing that this is what you are asking for. Your question statement leaves a lot to be desired. It simply is not clear what you are asking.

Last edited:
in Reply

The question i need to answer is:
"Gather infomation using a wide variety of sources and carry out a simple first hand investigation to determine a value for acceleration due to gravity. Present this by:
1)Including labeled diagram
2)Showing a sample of simple calculations used
3)Identifying Independant, Dependant and constant variables"

The experiment i chose to perform is to drop a small ball froma height of 2meters. I time this, and then i was hoping to be able to answer the above question via this experiment

Thanx
Matt

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth. It is a constant value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) near the Earth's surface.

2. How is acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a = g, where "a" represents acceleration and "g" represents the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where "F" is the force of gravity and "m" is the mass of the object.

3. Does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity is dependent on the mass of the planet and the distance from its center. Therefore, it will vary on different planets. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is about one-sixth of that on Earth.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration due to gravity?

Air resistance can have an impact on the acceleration due to gravity, as it can decrease the rate at which an object falls. This is because air resistance creates an upward force that counteracts the force of gravity, slowing down the object's acceleration.

5. Can acceleration due to gravity be negative?

Yes, acceleration due to gravity can be negative. This occurs when an object is moving upwards, against the force of gravity. In this case, the acceleration due to gravity would be a negative value. However, the acceleration due to gravity is typically considered to be a positive value when an object is falling towards the Earth.