Is knowledge without wisdom a dangerous thing?

• Thread starter Iacchus32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, knowledge and wisdom are inseperable, life exists within a context, and people are particularly good at deception.
Yeah, FZ, that's about what it breaks down to. Even absolute and relative can be conceived of as relative terms. The real question then may not be whether wisdom is relative or absolute, but whether it is accepting. Reality is whatever it is, whatever That may be, so wisdom may well depend upon how we accept the situation as it presents itself and act accordingly. When we insist reality is a certain way, we reject all other possibilities and limit ourselves.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by FZ+
Interjection: Wuli is referring that he is against the absolutist idea of right or wrong. That something is always wrong, independent of who is judging. So while being destructive is wrong to him, he does not claim that it is simply inherently a wrong act. At least, that's how I read it.

But, if he/she thinks that something is wrong, how can he/she not claim that it is "simply inherently a wrong act"?

Hmm... so maybe wisdom itself is relative to who is judging it? You may find someone unwise, but someone else may disagree?

Well, not according to my previous definition of wisdom (in which all applied knowledge/understanding is "wisdom", at least at some level). But yours is a good idea. Wisdom could be relative, in a slightly different conception of what it is - than mine.

But, if he/she thinks that something is wrong, how can he/she not claim that it is "simply inherently a wrong act"?
No. He/she/it thinks that something is wrong to THEM. But the same something is not always wrong, and is not wrong for everyone. To the person doing it, it is undoubtly "right". That's why he did it.

Yeah, its called relative ethics and avoids a great deal of the problems with absolute ethics. For example, I would normally consider murder wrong, but if I had a chance to murder Adolf Hitler before he attempted genocide I wouldn't think it wrong. Relative ethics also can have some the strongest philosophical foundations possible while most absolute ethics trace their foundations to some sort of religious decree by a God.