Integral x^n *f(x) dx =0 ; f for all n, f in C[0,1], then f(x)=0

In summary, the Weirstrass approximation gives us that for any ##\epsilon >0## there is a function ##P_n(x)## with : a_0+a_1x +..+x^n ## with : Sup_{x in [0,1]} | P_n(x)-f(x)| < \epsilon ##.We then substitute in (&&) to get, for ##i=0,1,..,n ##. :0=\int_0^1 a_i x^i =>\int_0^1 P_n(x)f(x)dx =0
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to show that for f in C[0,1] , and ##n=0,1,2,... ## we have:

## \int_0^1 x^n f(x)dx =0 ## (&&) , then

##f(x)==0 ## .

I am using Weirstrass approximation, so that , for any ## \epsilon >0 ## , there is ## P_n(x) =

a_0+a_1x +..+x^n ## with : ##Sup_{x in [0,1]} | P_n(x)-f(x)| < \epsilon ##.

We then sub-in in (&&) to get, for ## i=0,1,..,n ##. :

##0= \int _0^1 a_i x^i => \int_0^1 P_n(x)f(x)dx =0 ## , so :

## \int_0^1 [f(x) \pm \epsilon] f(x)dx = \int_0^1 f(x)^2 + (\epsilon) f(x) =0 ##

We let ## \epsilon →0 ## , and then ##\int_0^1 f(x)^2 =0 → f(x)=0 ##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have substituted ##f(x) = P_n(x) \pm \varepsilon## in the integral. I don't see how this could be correct. The only thing you know is that

[tex]f(x)-\varepsilon < P_n(x) < f(x)+\varepsilon[/tex]

So you should do something with this to get an inequality of integrals.

But what I would do is make use of the fact that ##P_n\rightarrow f## uniformly and that uniform limits allow us to interchange limit and integral.

Yes, I was a bit fuzzy there, but I think this can be "rigorized" by using an inequality. I will show a cleaned-up version soon; just trying to see if the argument is "spiritually correct" as my prof. says.

I would do the following

[tex]\left|\int_0^1 P_n(x)f(x)dx - \int_0^1 f(x)^2 dx\right|\leq \int_0^1 |P_n(x) - f(x)| |f(x)|dx\leq \textrm{sup}_{x\in [0,1]} |P_n(x) - f(x)| \int_0^1 |f(x)|dx[/tex]

This if ##n\rightarrow +\infty##, then

[tex]\int_0^1 P_n(x)f(x) dx \rightarrow \int_0^1 f(x)^2dx[/tex]

And since each term of the sequence is ##0##, we get ##\int_0^1 f(x)^2dx = 0## and thus ##f = 0##.

Yes, this follows from the layout pretty straightforward.

Related to Integral x^n *f(x) dx =0 ; f for all n, f in C[0,1], then f(x)=0

1. What does the notation "Integral x^n *f(x) dx" mean?

The notation "Integral x^n *f(x) dx" represents the integral of the function x^n multiplied by the function f(x), with respect to the variable x.

2. What is the meaning of "C[0,1]" in the statement?

The notation "C[0,1]" refers to the space of continuous functions defined on the interval [0,1]. This means that the function f(x) is continuous on the interval [0,1].

3. Why is the condition "f for all n" necessary in the statement?

The condition "f for all n" is necessary because it ensures that the statement holds true for all powers of x (n). This means that the function f(x) must satisfy the statement for all possible values of n, not just a specific value.

4. How can we prove that f(x) must equal zero based on this statement?

To prove that f(x) must equal zero, we can use proof by contradiction. Assume that f(x) is not equal to zero, then we can find a value of n for which the statement is not true. This contradicts our initial assumption that the statement holds true for all n. Therefore, f(x) must equal zero.

5. Can this statement be generalized for other intervals besides [0,1]?

Yes, this statement can be generalized for any interval [a,b], where a and b are any real numbers. The key is that the function f(x) must be continuous on the interval [a,b] for the statement to hold true.