What silly songs do you secretly love?

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
Jane Fonda...and the villian in it was Duran Duran. Thats where they got their name. In summary, a group of friends discuss songs they enjoy listening to but are too embarrassed to admit. They share stories about singing along to cheesy songs, liking children's music, and listening to music they wouldn't normally enjoy because of their parents. They also confess to liking songs by artists like Haddaway, Neil Diamond, and Sarah McLachlan, and even admit to enjoying songs by Weird Al and Duran Duran.
Originally posted by Artman
The amazing thing about Barry Manilow is that his songs (with very few exceptions) have no beat. Try and tap your foot to any of his ballads; you can't do it!
Yeah, I think you have struck on something here. I'll have to pay attention to that next time. I've never been able to make up mind if the man is handsome or freaky looking either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you promise not to tell,

Unchained Melody by the Rightous Brothers

American Pie - Bob Mclean

The Ledgend of Hurricane - Bob Dylan

Yanni - The Rain Must Fall & Within Attraction

Under my Thumb - The Rolling Stones

Piano Man - Billy Joel

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel

I didn't mention this before because I don't like admitting to it. The truth is, I used to hate it before I got a new sister (well, step-sister, actually - my mom got married last February). Now I just love Country Music. I don't get it. I used to be one of the people who took the lead in ridiculing "redneck music", but now it's one of my favorite things.

You know that mysterious messages are hidden in rock music that you can hear when you play the record backwards, right?

You know what you get when you play country music backwards?

You get back your wife, your house, your dog, your truck...

You know what you get when you play New age music backwards?

New age music. :smile:

New age music is another one of my guilty pleasures.

Originally posted by Artman
You know that mysterious messages are hidden in rock music that you can hear when you play the record backwards, right?
Yes, things like; He will give you 666, They sing because they live for Satan, etc.
You know what you get when you play country music backwards?

You get back your wife, your house, your dog, your truck...
I'd be happy just to have my pack of smokes back.

You know what you get when you play New age music backwards?

New age music. :smile:
Do you listen to that 'Yawnni' fellow?

Originally posted by amp

Yo! The Stones and Dylan rock!

Whatchoo ashamed of here?

Do you listen to that 'Yawnni' fellow?

Yep. I listen to him on internet radio at work. Actually he has a couple that I rather like.

Originally posted by amp...
Unchained Melody by the Rightous Brothers

American Pie - Bob Mclean

Yanni - The Rain Must Fall & Within Attraction

Piano Man - Billy Joel

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel

Oh my gosh, I like most of these (I don't care for Bob Dillon, but I respect his contribution to music).

Tom, I grew up at the beginning

of the Hip Hop era. Cutting and scratching records like Bongo Rock(Apache), Ride Sally Ride, Nautilus (Bob James), Give it up turn it loose (James Brown-remix), Dance to the Drummers Beat I liked those records and I would have been ostricized if my friends knew.

<imagines Sting driving his pickup out to the country, getting smashed, and blasting Metallica while shooting guns into the air>

Seriously, that's what my friends from down South said people did for fun in high school.

That's not funny :wink:. Actually, I drive a pickup but mostly I have Led Zeppelin, RATM, The Beatles or Pink Floyd coming from the truck.

But it looks odd for an Indian to be driving around in a pickup shooting guns in the air (although I've had Metallica's "Leper Messiah" and "Blitzkrieg" blaring out the window at one time and that was just to piss off the baseball team at the high school).

I agree. Their use of modal keys gives their music a myterious feel and someone in that group knows how to write a decent melody line. I think they are good musicians.

They are great musicians, I'll admit. I was listening to the Master of Puppets album recently and I was just amazed at the solemn tone of "Sanitarium", the aggression of "Leper Messiah" and the speed of "Master of Puppets".

Then I thought "man, this was the stuff that got me to pick up a guitar and start playing."

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Metallica is classic.

I don't know why, but I have this aversion openly admitting that I actually listen to Metallica (perhaps it's that jerk in my Linear Algebra class).

[quoteHell, someday 7th grade choirs will be singing watered-down, elevator-esque versions of "Master of Puppets" at their school assemblies.
][/quote]

Heh, that reminds me of the time I was at school assembly and I had my guitar plugged in. I was supposed to play the alma mater but I broke out with that Master of Puppets intro. It was fun to see the shock on the faces of parents and teachers.

Originally posted by Sting...
Heh, that reminds me of the time I was at school assembly and I had my guitar plugged in. I was supposed to play the alma mater but I broke out with that Master of Puppets intro. It was fun to see the shock on the faces of parents and teachers.

Cool.

LOL.
Im with ya.

John Denver. Anything he sang (almost).

The guy was some kind of freakin celestial angel given his mortal geeky frame (as usual). I mean, some of it is so sublime, so unearthly, you have to wonder how many shrooms that fool swallowed in order to so totally comprehend the very nature of the everlasting stones themselves.

Oh, another one...

and considering what I post in the religion threads <best popeye imatation> thisk is embarrassking ...

REM - Losing my Religion

<the sounds of gasps and indrawn breaths>