Integral with polar coordinates

In summary, we discussed the use of polar coordinates to solve integrals, specifically in the first octant where the angle $\theta$ is between 0 and $\frac \pi 4$. We established that the maximum radius $r$ in this region can be found using the formula $r=\dfrac 1 {\cos \theta}$ and is not necessarily equal to $\sqrt{2}$. The radius $r$ is bounded by 0 and the maximum radius that depends on $\theta$.
Chipset3600
Hellow MHB, I'm trying to understand how can i pass this integral View attachment 751 to polar coordinates. My biggest doubt is about the "radius".

Attachments

• mhb.png
    mhb.png
    656 bytes · Views: 71
Physics news on Phys.org
Chipset3600 said:
Hellow MHB, I'm trying to understand how can i pass this integral View attachment 751 to polar coordinates. My biggest doubt is about the "radius".

Hey Chipset3600! :)

Let's start with the first octant, where the angle $\theta$ is between 0 and $\frac \pi 4$.
It means we have a triangle with angle $\theta$ and a horizontal side of length 1.
What is the length of the hypotenuse?

That would be the upper bound for the "radius" (in this octant).

I like Serena said:
Hey Chipset3600! :)

Let's start with the first octant, where the angle $\theta$ is between 0 and $\frac \pi 4$.
It means we have a triangle with angle $\theta$ and a horizontal side of length 1.
What is the length of the hypotenuse?

That would be the upper bound for the "radius" (in this octant).
[TEX]is \sqrt{2} [/TEX]

Chipset3600 said:
[TEX]is \sqrt{2} [/TEX]

It will only be $\sqrt{2}$ if the angle $\theta=\frac \pi 4$.
What if it is less?

I like Serena said:
It will only be $\sqrt{2}$ if the angle $\theta=\frac \pi 4$.
What if it is less?

if the angle be zero the hypotenuse tends to infinity

Chipset3600 said:
if the angle be zero the hypotenuse tends to infinity

If the angle is zero, the hypotenuse is just as long as the horizontal side, which has length 1.

Note that the cosine of the angle is the length of the horizontal side divided by the hypotenuse.
$$\cos \theta = \frac{\text{horizontal side}}{\text{hypotenuse}} = \frac 1 r$$
How does this maximum radius $r$ depend on $\theta$?

I like Serena said:
If the angle is zero, the hypotenuse is just as long as the horizontal side, which has length 1.

Note that the cosine of the angle is the length of the horizontal side divided by the hypotenuse.
$$\cos \theta = \frac{\text{horizontal side}}{\text{hypotenuse}} = \frac 1 r$$
How does this maximum radius $r$ depend on $\theta$?

Sorry i don't understood what you mean :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Chipset3600 said:
Sorry i don't understood what u mean :/

In polar coordinates, you have a radius $r$ and an angle $\theta$.
The angle $\theta$ is bounded by $0$ and $2\pi$.
The radius $r$ is bounded by $0$ and an upper bound that depends on $\theta$.

The formula I just gave, can be rewritten as $r=\dfrac 1 {\cos\theta}$ if the angle is between $0$ and $\frac \pi 4$ (the first octant).

- - - Updated - - -

Chipset3600 said:
Sorry i don't understood what u mean :/

Can you perhaps be a bit more specific about what you do and do not understand?

I like Serena said:
In polar coordinates, you have a radius $r$ and an angle $\theta$.
The angle $\theta$ is bounded by $0$ and $2\pi$.
The radius $r$ is bounded by $0$ and an upper bound that depends on $\theta$.

The formula I just gave, can be rewritten as $r=\dfrac 1 {\cos\theta}$ if the angle is between $0$ and $\frac \pi 4$ (the first octant).

- - - Updated - - -
Can you perhaps be a bit more specific about what you do and do not understand?
So in the 1st octant the maximum radius is 1/cos (theta), why can't i say that will be sqrt(2) ?

Hello,
if I understand correct think like this (I have not yet done polar cordinate but I will give it a try)
if you divide by something smal you will get bigger result so with other words the smaler denominator you got the bigger result you get. but think backwords. if your \(\displaystyle \theta\) is lower then your r is bigger. As I like Serena said \(\displaystyle \cos\theta=\frac{1}{r}\) and you want to max your r that means you want your \(\displaystyle \theta\) be as low as possible.
I would like that you wait for someone else confirm I am correct cause I have not started yet with polar and this is what I understand.

Regards,

Chipset3600 said:
So in the 1st octant the maximum radius is 1/cos (theta), why can't i say that will be sqrt(2) ?

You are integrating over the unit square, like in the following picture.

View attachment 752

In your original integral x varies from 0 to 1 and y also varies from 0 to 1.
In polar coordinates your $\theta$ will vary from $0$ to $\dfrac \pi 2$ as you can see in the picture.
And your r will vary from $0$ to $\dfrac 1 {\cos \theta}$ in the first octant (for a given $\theta$).

You can also see that for a given $\theta$ in the first octant the maximum r is not $\sqrt 2$.

Attachments

• polar_on_unit_square.png
    polar_on_unit_square.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 35

Related to Integral with polar coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they different from Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a system of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference ray. This is different from Cartesian coordinates, which use horizontal and vertical distances from the origin. Polar coordinates are often used when dealing with circular or curved shapes.

2. How is an integral calculated using polar coordinates?

An integral with polar coordinates involves converting the function into a polar form and then integrating with respect to the angle and radius. This typically involves changing the limits of integration and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

3. What are some common applications of integrals with polar coordinates?

Integrals with polar coordinates are frequently used in physics and engineering, especially when dealing with circular or rotational motion. They can also be used to find areas and volumes of irregular shapes, such as a flower petal or a spiral staircase.

4. Can any integral be converted to polar coordinates?

Not all integrals can be easily converted to polar coordinates. Some functions may have more complicated forms when expressed in polar coordinates, making the integration process more difficult. It is important to consider the function and the shape it represents before deciding to convert to polar coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in an integral?

One limitation of using polar coordinates is that they are not well-suited for dealing with vertical or horizontal lines. Additionally, polar coordinates may not be the most efficient method for integrating over certain shapes, such as rectangles or triangles. In these cases, it may be better to stick with Cartesian coordinates.