Integral vs differential curl theorem implicit condition

In summary, Faraday's law has both an integral and a differential version. When using the differential version, a constant of integration may appear that is not present in the integral version. This is due to the assumption that the B field is continuous at all points, including r=0. Applying this same assumption to the differential version, the constant B disappears.
superg33k
Faraday's law has an integral and a differential version:

[tex]curl \mathbf{E} = - \frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \mbox{ and } \oint_{C} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l}=- \frac{d}{dt} \int_{S} \mathbf{B} \cdot d \mathbf{S}[/tex]

When I use the differential version I always have a constant of integration that doesn't appear in the integral version. Where does it come from? Am I making an implicit assumption using the integral version or am I making an explicit assumption that I have not noticed?

For example given:
[tex]\mathbf{B}=At \mathbf{ \hat{e}_z} \mbox{ and } \mathbf{E}=E(r) \mathbf{ \hat{e}_{\phi}} [/tex]
I solve this as:
[tex]curl \mathbf{E} = - \frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r E(r)) = - \frac{\partial }{\partial t} At = -A \Rightarrow \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r E(r)) = -Ar \Rightarrow rE(r) = \int -Ar \partial r = -\frac{Ar^2}{2} +B, r \gt 0[/tex]
[tex]E(r) = -\frac{Ar}{2} +\frac{B}{r}, r \gt 0[/tex]

Now the integral version, the line/surface integral is a circle round the z axis.
[tex]C: r=R, 0 \lt \phi \leq 2\pi, z=0, d \mathbf{l} = R \mathbf{\hat{e}_{\phi}}\partial\phi \mbox{ and } S: 0 \lt r \leq R, 0 \lt \phi \leq 2\pi, z=0, d \mathbf{S}= r \mathbf{\hat{e}_z}\partial \phi \partial r [/tex]
[tex]\oint_{C} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l}=- \frac{d}{dt} \int_{S} \mathbf{B} \cdot d \mathbf{S} \Rightarrow \oint_{0}^{2\pi}(E(R) \mathbf{ \hat{e}_{\phi}}) \cdot (R \mathbf{\hat{e}_{\phi}})\partial\phi = 2\pi R E(R) = - \frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{R} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} At \mathbf{ \hat{e}_z} \cdot r \mathbf{\hat{e}_z}\partial \phi \partial r=-\pi AR^2 \Rightarrow E(R)=-\frac{AR}{2}[/tex]
since true for all R>0
[tex]E(r)=-\frac{Ar}{2}, r \gt 0[/tex]

Where have I made any assumption that makes B dissappear? (Sorry for any mistakes in my latex)

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your surface S is encloses the origin, so your integral over S assumes that the B field is contiuious everywhere inside it, including r=0. Therefore you have assumed that B and hence E isn't infinite at r=0. Apply this same assumption to your differential version and your constant B dissappears.

Last edited by a moderator:
superg33k said:
Your surface S is encloses the origin, so your integral over S assumes that the B field is contiuious everywhere inside it, including r=0. Therefore you have assumed that B and hence E isn't infinite at r=0. Apply this same assumption to your differential version and your constant B dissappears.

Just to let you know, we don't allow insults here, not even directed at yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Integral vs differential curl theorem implicit condition

1. What is the difference between integral and differential curl theorem?

The integral curl theorem and the differential curl theorem are two different versions of the same fundamental theorem in vector calculus. The integral curl theorem relates the circulation of a vector field around a closed curve to the flux of the curl of that vector field through the surface bounded by the curve. On the other hand, the differential curl theorem relates the curl of a vector field to the line integral of that vector field along a closed curve.

2. What is the implicit condition in the integral and differential curl theorem?

The implicit condition in both the integral and differential curl theorem is that the vector field must be defined and continuously differentiable in the region bounded by the curve. This means that the vector field must be defined and have continuous partial derivatives at every point within the region.

3. How are the implicit conditions different in the integral and differential curl theorem?

In the integral curl theorem, the implicit condition only applies to the region bounded by the curve, whereas in the differential curl theorem, the implicit condition must be satisfied at every point within the region.

4. What happens if the implicit condition is not satisfied in the integral and differential curl theorem?

If the implicit condition is not satisfied, then the theorems cannot be applied. This means that the relationships between circulation, flux, and curl may not hold true for the given vector field.

5. Can the integral and differential curl theorem be applied to all vector fields?

No, the theorems can only be applied to continuously differentiable vector fields. If a vector field is not continuously differentiable, then the implicit condition is not satisfied, and the theorems cannot be applied.