Integral to show selection rules

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the selection rules for 2p to 1s transitions, with the three results in (1152)-(1154) and the use of spherical harmonics in the image. The speaker is having trouble determining which R and angular parts correspond to the three 2p waves and is requesting assistance in integrating the radial part of the integral. They also mention difficulty getting rid of the $$\pm$$ when solving for the y-component. The relevant quantum numbers are not specified.
georg gill

Homework Statement

sel rule int.png

I am trying to calculate the selection rules from 2p to 1s. Above are the three results in (1152)-.(1154). And In the image one also finds the spherical harmonics factors. I can not determine which R and angular parts that give the three 2p waves. Can you show which ones that will create one of the 2p waves and integrate the radial (radius part) part of that integral?

Homework Equations

The image is taken from this site:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node122.html

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
georg gill said:
I can not determine which R and angular parts that give the three 2p waves.
What are the relevant quantum numbers?

spher coord sel rules 2p to 1s for y.png
georg gill said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 97566

I am trying to calculate the selection rules from 2p to 1s. Above are the three results in (1152)-.(1154). And In the image one also finds the spherical harmonics factors. I can not determine which R and angular parts that give the three 2p waves. Can you show which ones that will create one of the 2p waves and integrate the radial (radius part) part of that integral?

Homework Equations

The image is taken from this site:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/Quantum/node122.html

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/97773

I get the right answer for the y comp except that I cn not get rid of the $$\pm$$. the answer for the y-comp is given in (1153).

Last edited:

Related to Integral to show selection rules

1. What does "integral to show selection rules" mean?

"Integral to show selection rules" refers to the mathematical concept of integrals, which are used to determine the allowed transitions between energy levels in a system. In the context of show selection, it means that the integral values play a crucial role in determining which shows will be selected.

2. How are integrals used to determine show selection rules?

Integrals are used in the calculation of the transition dipole moment between two energy levels. This dipole moment is a key factor in determining whether a transition between the two levels is allowed or prohibited. If the dipole moment is non-zero, the transition is allowed and the show can be selected.

3. What are some common selection rules for shows based on integrals?

Some common selection rules for shows based on integrals include the conservation of angular momentum, parity selection rules, and selection rules based on the symmetry of the system. These rules help to narrow down the possible transitions and determine which shows are allowed.

4. Can integrals be used to predict all possible transitions between energy levels?

No, integrals can only be used to predict the allowed transitions between energy levels. There may be other factors at play, such as selection rules based on spin or other quantum numbers, that also determine the allowed transitions.

5. How do selection rules based on integrals impact the overall structure of a show?

Selection rules based on integrals can greatly impact the overall structure of a show by limiting the transitions that can occur between energy levels. This can affect the colors, intensity, and other properties of the light emitted during the show. However, these rules also help to ensure that the show is visually appealing and follows the principles of quantum mechanics.