Integral problem with natural log ($5 to whoever gets it)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of dx/2x(lnx)^1/2 from 16 to 2 and the person offering to pay $5 for help. The conversation also includes some advice on using the physicsforums website and a discussion on different ways to solve the integral.
formula107
Here's the problem:

find the integral of

dx/2x(lnx)^1/2

In other words, dx over 2x times the square root of lnx.

It has to be evaluated from 16 and 2. I don't know how to say it, but the integral sign with 16 at the top, and 2 at the bottom.

If you can find the answerm and show me the work, preferably two different ways, I will paypal you $5.

The sooner the better.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums, formula107.

First, a bit about our rules:

1) Homework help posts should go into the appropriate homework help forums.
2) You should show us the work you've attempted so far when asking for help.
3) You should never offer money in return for our help.

I assume you mean this integral?

[tex]\int_2^{16} \frac{dx}{2 x (\ln x)^{1/2}}[/tex]

- Warren

chroot said:
Welcome to physicsforums, formula107.

First, a bit about our rules:

1) Homework help posts should go into the appropriate homework help forums.
2) You should show us the work you've attempted so far when asking for help.
3) You should never offer money in return for our help.

I assume you mean this integral?

[tex]\int_2^{16} \frac{dx}{2 x (\ln x)^{1/2}}[/tex]

- Warren

Thanks for the advice. Yep, that was the integral I was trying to describe.

I have attempted it, but I still get confused on what to do with dx on the top.

One more question:
Can I use the same text you are by using the [tex] code?

Thanks

formula107 said:
I have attempted it, but I still get confused on what to do with dx on the top.
Can you please show us the paths you have already attempted to follow to find this integral? We do not generally just give away answers.
One more question:
Can I use the same text you are by using the [tex] code?
Most certainly. You can click on any mathematical image to see the code that generated it. You can then copy and paste the code into your own posts, editing the code if you want. You can also quote a post to use or modify the code for the equations in that post.

- Warren

I tried bringing the bottom part to the top, so it makes

[tex]\int_2^{16} \dx (2 x (\ln x)^{1/2})^{-1}[/tex]

With dx on the end, but I can't get that to show.

Then from there I just get completely lost. Is that a good first step?

Last edited:
come on, this is darn easy, donate that $5 to charity.

(Hint: Let [tex]y = \ln x[/tex])

kakarukeys said:
come on, this is darn easy, donate that $5 to charity.

(Hint: Let [tex]y = \ln x[/tex])

Yep, I finally got it. I end up with u^1/2, and with the numbers plugged in, I got (ln(2))^(1/2).

Seems right to me!

Just one more question: Is there any way to solve this problem without solving for dx before integrating. I came up with dx=xdu, since du=1/x, but we haven't done this in class yet. Is there a way to solve this using only u and du?

Thanks

formula107 said:
Yep, I finally got it. I end up with u^1/2, and with the numbers plugged in, I got (ln(2))^(1/2).

Seems right to me!

Just one more question: Is there any way to solve this problem without solving for dx before integrating. I came up with dx=xdu, since du=1/x, but we haven't done this in class yet. Is there a way to solve this using only u and du?

Thanks

If you do a u-sub, and let u be (lnx)^1/2 it turns into just the intergral of U*DU.

So who ended up with the 5 dollars?

Related to Integral problem with natural log ($5 to whoever gets it)

What is an integral problem with natural log?

An integral problem with natural log involves solving an integral that includes the natural logarithm function as one of its components. This means the solution will include the use of the natural log function to evaluate the integral.

How do you solve an integral problem with natural log?

To solve an integral problem with natural log, you will need to use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts, depending on the form of the integral. Then, you can use the properties of natural log to simplify the integral and evaluate it.

What are the properties of natural log that are used in solving integral problems?

The two main properties of natural log that are used in solving integral problems are the product rule and the chain rule. The product rule states that ln(ab) = ln(a) + ln(b), while the chain rule states that ln(f(x)) = f'(x)/f(x). These properties are useful in simplifying integrals and making them easier to solve.

Why is it important to solve integral problems with natural log?

Integrals with natural log are commonly encountered in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. Being able to solve these integrals is crucial in order to accurately model and understand real-world phenomena, as well as to solve more complex mathematical problems.

What are some tips for solving integral problems with natural log?

Some tips for solving integral problems with natural log include identifying and applying the appropriate integration technique, using algebraic manipulation to simplify the integral, and ensuring that the final answer is in its simplest form by applying any necessary logarithmic properties.