Integral power rule explanation

In summary, the power rule explains how to calculate the area under a curve, by dividing the coefficient by the exponent and adding the exponent by 1.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author
I am new to the world of calculus and the first thing that I learned is how to calculate the area under the range of a polynomial function, like:

$$\int_1^3 x^2 \,dx$$

when I take the intergal of ##x^2##, I get ##\frac{x^3}{3}##due to the power rule,
but it doesn’t make sense to me,why would you need to divide the coefficient by the exponent and add the exponent by 1?Is there a simple explanation to why such rules exist?

ps:I may use some wrong terms,sorry for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of integration as the opposite of derivation.

Likes jedishrfu
Svein said:
Think of integration as the opposite of derivation.
Sorry,as I mentioned above,I am new to calculus and this is the first thing that I learned.
While I know what derivatives are,I don’t know how to calculate them. So if the power rule’s explanation has something to do with derivatives,I may have to come back to this problem later on my journey on calculus.

You can also think of an easier example. You mentioned the area, which is not 100% correct, since it is the oriented area, i.e. areas above and below the x-axis have different orientations and thus different signs, but it serves the goal here. So if we have ##f(x)=x## then this area will be a triangle. Therefore you cannot calculate width ##(x)## times height ##(f(x)=x)##, as this would be a rectangle. Triangles have half this area, so we must divide by two.

Same here for ##f(x)=x^2##. A multiplication, i.e. area calculation width ##(x)## times height ##(f(x)=x^2)## would result in a rectangle. However, we don't have this entire area, not even half of it, since our curve is still below the halving diagonal. It's now merely a third of the area of the rectangle.

Likes YoungPhysicist
Young physicist said:
when I take the intergal
There's nothing "inter" about it. The word is integral, and is related to the word integer.

Young physicist said:
Sorry,as I mentioned above,I am new to calculus and this is the first thing that I learned.
While I know what derivatives are,I don’t know how to calculate them. So if the power rule’s explanation has something to do with derivatives,I may have to come back to this problem later on my journey on calculus.
Yes, you should postpone this study until you learn how to calculate derivatives.

Likes YoungPhysicist

Related to Integral power rule explanation

What is the integral power rule?

The integral power rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the antiderivative (or the original function) of a power function. It is also known as the power rule of integration.

How does the integral power rule work?

The integral power rule states that the antiderivative of xn is (1/(n+1))xn+1 + C, where C is a constant. This means that to find the antiderivative of a power function, we simply increase the power by 1 and divide the coefficient by the new power.

Why is the integral power rule important?

The integral power rule is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of integrals involving power functions. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is used in various applications, such as finding areas under curves and calculating work done in physics.

What are the limitations of the integral power rule?

The integral power rule can only be applied to power functions, where the variable is raised to a constant power. It cannot be used for other types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions. Additionally, the rule only applies to indefinite integrals and not definite integrals.

How can I practice using the integral power rule?

The best way to practice using the integral power rule is to solve a variety of integrals involving power functions. You can also try using the rule to find the antiderivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler power functions. Additionally, there are many online resources and practice problems available for further practice.