Integral of Dirac times Heaviside

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral \int_{-\infty}^\infty H(x) \delta(x) dx, where H(x) is a unit step and δ(x) is a standard Dirac delta. The value of this integral is determined to be 1/2, but the question then arises of how to prove this intuitively. One suggestion is to use the extension of Dirac delta to include discontinuous functions, while another suggests using the property that d/dx of H(x) is δ(x). However, it is pointed out that Dirac delta is a distribution and not a real function, so integration by substitution does not apply.
wil3
I am trying to solve the integral

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty H(x) \delta(x) dx[/itex]

Where H(x) is a unit step and d(x) is a standard Dirac delta. Mathematica chokes on this, but I'm pretty sure that the value is

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty H(x) \delta(x) dx = \dfrac12 \left(H(0^+) + H(0^-) \right) = 1/2[/itex]

However, I am having trouble proving that my intuition is correct. Is this claim correct, and, if so, how can I show it?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The intuitive way would be...in order for ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x) \delta(x) \, dx## to be well defined, ##f(x)## needs to have the domain to be all of the reals. That means ##H(0)## needs to be defined. A lot of books choose ##H(0) = 1/2## as a convention, but it is just a convention. You could theoretically choose any real number, and indeed the notation ##H_c (x)## is the Heaviside step function with ##H(0) = c##.

Anyway, ##\int_{-\infty}^\infty H(x) \delta(x) dx = H(0)##, so the question is what have you chosen ##H(0)## to be?

Disclaimer: it's worth pointing out that in the strict definition of Dirac delta, H(x) is not a valid test function. Mathematica "chokes" because that is the correct response. What you are asking for is an extension of Dirac to include discontinuous functions. There is no "correct" way to do this. You can use what you wrote as a new definition of Dirac, and then demonstrate that it is consistent with the standard definition. I personally wouldn't do it that way because the value is now dependent on the neighborhood of 0, rather than 0 itself.

Likes 1 person
One standard way that the Dirac delta function is extended is to define
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x) h(x) dx = \lim_{a\to 0} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi} a} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/(2a)} h(x) dx [/tex]
for h(x) any distribution. This satisfies the definition for [itex] \delta(x)[/itex] when h(x) is continuous and integrable (the Gaussian function defined has a peak at 0 that goes to infinity as a goes to zero, so this is not too hard to prove). and for h(x) the Heaviside function you will in fact get 1/2.

Likes 1 person
These were both great answers, I agree that using this trick is sketchy in a proof but it seems to work for my application. Thank you!

Another method

Doesn't this integrate directly to 1/2 H^2(x) between -∞ and ∞, which equals 1/2?

This observation seems to have no dependence on how H(0) is defined, other than what is implied from the statement that d/dx of H(x) is δ(x).

davidmoore63@y said:
Doesn't this integrate directly to 1/2 H^2(x) between -∞ and ∞, which equals 1/2?

No, because Dirac delta is not a real function but a distribution. That integral that is written is not actually an integral. We just write the evaluation in that notation.

This observation seems to have no dependence on how H(0) is defined, other than what is implied from the statement that d/dx of H(x) is δ(x).

Dirac delta is the distributional derivative of Heaviside. Integration by substitution requires continuous differentiability, which Heaviside does not have.

interesting thanks

Related to Integral of Dirac times Heaviside

What is the "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside"?

The "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside" is a mathematical concept that combines the Dirac delta function and the Heaviside step function. It represents the area under the product of these two functions over a given interval.

What is the significance of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical representation of an impulse or spike at a specific point. It is used to describe phenomena that occur instantaneously, such as the moment of impact in a collision.

What is the meaning of the Heaviside step function?

The Heaviside step function, also known as the unit step function, is a piecewise-defined function that is zero for negative input and one for positive input. It is often used to model situations where a system is switched on at a specific time.

How is the "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside" calculated?

The "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside" can be calculated by first breaking down the interval into smaller sub-intervals and then using the properties of the Dirac delta function and the Heaviside step function to simplify the integral. The final result is the sum of the products of the magnitudes of the delta function and the step function at each sub-interval.

What are the applications of the "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside"?

The "Integral of Dirac times Heaviside" has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in modeling and analyzing systems with sudden changes or impulses. It is also used in signal processing and control systems to study the response of a system to an input signal.