Murder and the Constitution: A Closer Look at the Right to Life

• News
  • Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the U.S. Constitution and its relevance in modern society. The original intent of the constitution was to limit the powers of the federal government and delegate criminal law enforcement to the states. However, over the years, state courts have become increasingly federalized. The conversation also touched on specific amendments, such as the first amendment and fifth amendment, and how they have been interpreted by the Supreme Court. The discussion also addressed the right to remain silent and the fourteenth amendment's role in allowing the Supreme Court to dictate certain laws to the states. The conversation ended with a debate about the Constitution's applicability in today's society, with some believing it is outdated and others valuing it as one of
Zero
...say anything about murder?

Physics news on Phys.org
As originally framed, the constitution was a vehicle to limit the powers of the federal government. Criminal law enforcement was delegated to the states via the first amendment. Over the years the state courts have become increasingly federalized.

Originally posted by GENIERE
As originally framed, the constitution was a vehicle to limit the powers of the federal government. Criminal law enforcement was delegated to the states via the first amendment. Over the years the state courts have become increasingly federalized.
That doesn't answer my question.

Well, no, but the fifth amendment specifically mentions capital crimes, if that's not too vague. Go to: http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there anything about speeding tickets?

Originally posted by Zero
Is there anything about speeding tickets?
No. I'm curious about where you are going with this...

Originally posted by russ_watters
No. I'm curious about where you are going with this...
I'n just asking questions...like, is the right to remain silent(and the rest of Miranda) in the Constitution?

I'n just asking questions...like, is the right to remain silent(and the rest of Miranda) in the Constitution?

Article III of the constitution sets up the judiciary, topped off by the Supreme Court. Since judges by definition interpret the law, the Supreme Court decided it had the duty to interpret what the constitution means (Marbury vs. Madison). Like it or lump it that is the present state of the constitutional law.

And the Bill of Rights does state that the citizens are to be free of arbitrary search and seizure, and that they are not to be required to testify against themselves (Fifth Amendment). So the S.C. years ago decided that that meant that people who were arrested were to be told of their right to remain silent, so as not to incriminate themselves and of their right to an attorney. The reason the S.C. could dictate to the states this way, in spite of the tenth amendment that makes the states the final arbiters of their own laws, is the fourteenth amendment, which says the states are to supply "republican government" (not meaning the party of course but the form of gevernment). In fact, since that was now in the constituion, the S.C. was empowered to interpret it: hence Miranda.

I'n just asking questions...
Uh huh... questions with obvious answers. C'mon, out with it.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Uh huh... questions with obvious answers. C'mon, out with it.
No, you just answer my questions, or not, as you see fit.

Is there, for instance, anything in the Constitution that involves how to go about getting married or divorced?

I gave you the link to a nice site, look for yourself.

The Constitution, as seen in the eyes of Americans, is an outdated man-made piece of paper that does not really apply today. Both the elites and average think the Constitution should change as society changes. I somewhat agree to that, but not completely. I do fully support the first amendment, I think we need some restrictions on the second amendment (individuals should not own own nukes, bio/chem weapons), and I don't know about the rest.

Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez
The Constitution, as seen in the eyes of Americans, is an outdated man-made piece of paper that does not really apply today.

Please, try not to paint with such a broad brush. Some of us Americans consider the Constitution of the United States and the Declaration of Independence to be among the most important documents ever to be penned by mankind.

1. What is the Constitution?

The Constitution is the supreme law of the United States. It outlines the framework and principles of the government and guarantees certain rights and freedoms for citizens.

2. When was the Constitution written and who wrote it?

The Constitution was written in 1787 by a group of delegates known as the Founding Fathers at the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.

3. What is the purpose of the Constitution?

The Constitution serves as the foundation for the US government and creates a system of checks and balances to ensure no one branch of government becomes too powerful. It also protects individual rights and defines the powers of the federal government.

4. How is the Constitution amended?

The Constitution can be amended through a process outlined in Article V, which requires a proposal by either two-thirds of both houses of Congress or a national convention called by two-thirds of state legislatures. The proposed amendment must then be ratified by three-fourths of state legislatures or special ratifying conventions in three-fourths of states.

5. Can the Constitution be changed?

The Constitution can be changed through the amendment process, but it is a difficult and deliberate process designed to ensure the Constitution remains a stable and consistent governing document. The Supreme Court can also interpret the Constitution and make changes through its decisions, but these changes are subject to the amendment process.