Integral definition of factorial

In summary, Micromass says that the notation of writing ##dx## first for some reason is just a notational issue. The thing above is wrong because the second form should be \left(\int dx\right)x= x^2.
Runei
I'm watching V. Balakrishnan's video lectures on Classical Physics, and right now he's going through statistical mechanics.

In that regards he's talking about Stirlings formula, and at one point, he wrote an integral definition of the factorial like the following

[itex]n! = \int_{0}^{\infty}dx\hspace{0.1cm}e^{-x}\hspace{0.1cm}x^n\hspace{0.1cm},\hspace{2cm} \text{where}\hspace{1cm} n={1,2,3 ...}[/itex]

Why is he writing the integral in that way? With the dx first and the exponentials afterwards?

I thought the definition was

[itex]n! = \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-x}x^ndx[/itex]

Can anybody explain this?

Many thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same thing. But physicists tend to use the notation of writing ##dx## first for some reason. It's just a notational issue. For all intents and purposes, we have

[tex]\int f(x)dx = \int dx f(x)[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Ah, I was wondering that that might be the case :)

Many thanks Micromass!

We can't really expect physicists to write mathematics correctly, can we?:devil:

Multiplication is associative! :P

1MileCrash said:
Multiplication is associative! :P

But it's commutative we want! :-p

If you think of ##\displaystyle\int_0^\infty \cdots \,dx## as an operator, writing ##\displaystyle\int_0^\infty\!\! dx\,f(x)## is just as sensible as something like ##\displaystyle\frac{d^n}{dx^n}f(x)## - or even ##\displaystyle\left(\frac 1 r \frac{d}{dr}\right)^nf(r)##.

Does anyone have any historical perspective on why some people prefer ##\int f(x)dx## and some people prefer ##\int dxf(x)##?

While I perfectly understand the idea of the notation, i think its confusing in the way where the following two ways are different:

[itex]\int(dx x) = \int x dx = 1/2 x^2[/itex]

And

[itex]\int(dx) x = x^2[/itex]

(Mind the constants not shows)

Runei said:

OK, but this is bad notation. The ##x## in the ##dx## is the dummy variable. The other ##x## is an actual variable. You shouldn't use the same name for them.
And indefinite integrals are tricky things so I'm not sure if the thing above is well-defined. See https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4566

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
But it's commutative we want! :-p

I fail

Runei said:
While I perfectly understand the idea of the notation, i think its confusing in the way where the following two ways are different:

[itex]\int(dx x) = \int x dx = 1/2 x^2[/itex]

And

(Mind the constants not shows)
No this is wrong. The second form should be [itex]\left(\int dx\right)x= x^2[/itex].

micromass said:
It's the same thing. But physicists tend to use the notation of writing ##dx## first for some reason. It's just a notational issue. For all intents and purposes, we have

[tex]\int f(x)dx = \int dx f(x)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
We can't really expect physicists to write mathematics correctly, can we?:devil:

It's worth pointing out that mathematicians do this as well, specifically in papers dealing with n-fold integration. Cauchy's formula for repeated integration is very often written
##\int_{a}^{x} dt_n \int_{a}^{t_n} dt_{n-1} \ldots \int_{a}^{t_2} f(t_1) \, dt_1 = \frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1}\,f(t)\,dt##
Observe this uses both notations mixed!

Related to Integral definition of factorial

1. What is the integral definition of factorial?

The integral definition of factorial is a mathematical formula that expresses the factorial of a non-negative integer as an integral. It is represented as ∫x^t e^-x dx, where t is the integer for which the factorial is being calculated.

2. How is the integral definition of factorial different from the traditional definition?

The traditional definition of factorial is represented as n! and calculates the product of all positive integers up to n. The integral definition, on the other hand, involves integration and is used to calculate the factorial of non-negative integers.

3. What is the significance of the integral definition of factorial?

The integral definition of factorial allows for the calculation of factorials for non-integer values, such as fractions or negative numbers. It also has applications in areas such as probability, statistics, and physics.

4. How is the integral definition of factorial derived?

The integral definition of factorial is derived using the properties of the gamma function, which is a generalization of the factorial function for non-integer values. The gamma function is then expressed as an integral, resulting in the integral definition of factorial.

5. Can the integral definition of factorial be used for all non-negative integers?

Yes, the integral definition of factorial can be used for all non-negative integers. However, it may not always be the most efficient method for calculating factorials of large integers, as the integral may become complex and difficult to compute.