Integral calculus: stellar stereography

In summary, astronomers use a technique called stellar stereography to determine the density of stars in a star cluster from the observed (two-dimensional) density that can be analysed from a photograph.
Ciaran
Hi there, I have a question I'm stuck on. It is:

Astronomers use a technique called stellar stereography to determine the density of stars in a star cluster
from the observed (two-dimensional) density that can be analysed from a photograph. Suppose that in
a spherical cluster of radius R the density of stars depends on ly on the distance r from the centre of
the cluster. If the perceived star density is given by y(s), where s is the observed planar distance from
the centre of the cluster, and x(r) is the actual density, it can be shown that

y(s) = integral from s to R of (2r x(r) dr)/ (r^2-s^2)^1/2 where x(r)=(1/2) ((R-r)^2)

I tried using the trig substitution r= s sec theta but haven't got far. I also am confused about how this substitution changes the limits. Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, we are given:

\(\displaystyle y(s)=\int_s^R \frac{r(R-r)^2}{\sqrt{r^2-s^2}}\,dr\)

The first thing I see is that we have an improper integral, and so I would write:

\(\displaystyle y(s)=\lim_{s\to r}\left[\int_r^R \frac{w(R-w)^2}{\sqrt{w^2-s^2}}\,dw\right]\)

For the integral itself, I would try integration by parts, where:

\(\displaystyle u=(R-w)^2\,\therefore\,du=2(w-R)\,dw\)

\(\displaystyle dv=\frac{w}{\sqrt{w^2-s^2}}\,dw\,\therefore\,v=\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\)

Can you proceed?

So by integration by parts, we get

(R-w)^2 (w^2-s^2)^0.5- 2 \ int(w-R)*(w^2-s^2)^0.5 dw

Last edited:
Since it is a definite integral, we would get:

\(\displaystyle \left[(R-w)^2\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\right]_r^R-2\int_r^R(w-R)\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\,dw\)

And this reduces to:

\(\displaystyle (r-R)\sqrt{r^2-s^2}+2R\int_r^R\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\,dw-\int_r^R2w\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\,dw\)

For the first integral, I would suggest the substitution:

\(\displaystyle w=s\coth(u)\)

And for the second, I would try:

\(\displaystyle u=w^2-s^2\)

So for the first integral, it would be

integral from r to R of (s^2 (sqrt(coth^2u -1))(1-coth^2u) du?

And for the second I get

integral from r to R of 2 sqrt u du

Let's look first at the integral:

\(\displaystyle \int_r^R\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\)

If we let:

\(\displaystyle w=s\coth(u)\)

Then we find:

\(\displaystyle dw=-s\csch^2(u)\,du\)

And so the integral become:

\(\displaystyle s^2\int_{\arcoth\left(\frac{R}{s}\right)}^{\arcoth\left(\frac{r}{s}\right)}\csch^3(u)\,du\)

I would try playing with identities here to get a form you can integrate directly.

For the second integral, we would get:

\(\displaystyle \int_r^R2w\sqrt{w^2-s^2}\,dw\)

Let:

\(\displaystyle u=w^2-s^2\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle du=2w\,dw\)

And we have:

\(\displaystyle \int_{r^2-s^2}^{R^2-s^2}u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

How are you going about changing the limits? I also have never dealt with identities involving hyperbolic cubic functions

Ciaran said:
Hi there, I have a question I'm stuck on. It is:

$\vdots$

y(s) = integral from s to R of (2r x(r) dr)/ (r^2-s^2)^1/2 where x(r)=(1/2) ((R-r)^2)

I tried using the trig substitution r= s sec theta but haven't got far. I also am confused about how this substitution changes the limits. Can anyone please help?
I like your idea of substituting $r = s\sec\theta$. If you do that, you get $$\begin{aligned} y(s)=\int_s^R \frac{r(R-r)^2}{\sqrt{r^2-s^2}}\,dr &= \int_0^\Theta \frac{s\sec\theta(R - s\sec\theta)^2}{s\tan\theta}\cdot s\sec\theta\tan\theta\,d\theta \\ &= \int_0^\Theta \bigl( sR^2\sec^2\theta -2Rs^2\sec^3\theta + s^3\sec^4\theta\bigr)d\theta, \end{aligned}$$ where $\Theta = \arcsec\frac Rs$ (so that $\tan\Theta = \frac{\sqrt{R^2-s^2}}s$).

If you use the standard integrals \(\displaystyle \int\sec^2\theta\,d\theta = \tan\theta,\) \(\displaystyle \int\sec^3\theta\,d\theta = \tfrac12\sec\theta\tan\theta + \tfrac12\ln \bigl|\,\sec\theta + \tan\theta\,\bigr|\) and \(\displaystyle \int\sec^4\theta\,d\theta = \tfrac13\tan^3\theta + \tan\theta,\) then you should be able to complete the calculation. I make the answer \(\displaystyle y(s) = \tfrac13\sqrt{R^2-s^2}\bigl(R^2 + 2s^2\bigr) - Rs^2\ln\biggl(\dfrac{R + \sqrt{R^2-s^2}}s\biggr).\)

[Mark is absolutely correct that the integral is improper and should really be evaluated as a limit. But in fact the integral converges, and by the time you have made the substitution $r = s\sec\theta$ the singularity has disappeared, because of the way that the $\tan\theta$ in the denominator of the integral cancels with the $\tan\theta$ coming from "$dr = s\sec\theta\tan\theta\,ds$".]

Last edited:
Hi there,

How come you changed the case of r to R in your expression for theta and the rest of the question but left it in the expression for tan of theta?

Should it not be lowercase throughout as r= s sec theta implies theta= arcsec (r/s)?

I get exactly the same except I don't get +2s^2; I get two s^2 terms but one is negative and they end up cancelling.

Ciaran said:
Should it not be lowercase throughout as r= s sec theta implies theta= arcsec (r/s)?
It is lowercase when it is a variable, as in $r = s\sec\theta$, and it is upper case when it refers to the upper limit of the integral, $R = s\sec\Theta $.

Ciaran said:
I get exactly the same except I don't get +2s^2; I get two s^2 terms but one is negative and they end up cancelling.
I had $-\frac13s^2 + s^2 = \frac23s^2$. But I haven't been back to re-check it, so I may be wrong.

Related to Integral calculus: stellar stereography

What is the concept of "integral calculus" in relation to stellar stereography?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the calculation of areas under curves or surfaces. In the context of stellar stereography, it is used to calculate the volume of a star and its surrounding space, as well as the density and distribution of matter within the star.

How is integral calculus applied in the study of stellar stereography?

Integral calculus is used to solve complex equations and models that describe the structure and behavior of stars. It allows scientists to calculate important parameters such as the mass, luminosity, and temperature of a star, which are crucial in understanding its evolution and dynamics.

What is the significance of stellar stereography in astrophysics?

Stellar stereography is essential in understanding the formation, evolution, and death of stars. By using integral calculus to analyze the properties of stars, scientists can gain insight into the processes that shape the universe and the role of stars in it.

What challenges arise when applying integral calculus to the study of stellar stereography?

One major challenge is the complexity of the models and equations used to describe stars. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and computational power to solve. Additionally, the vast distances and extreme conditions of stars make it difficult to gather accurate data for calculations.

What are some potential applications of integral calculus in stellar stereography?

Integral calculus can be used to study various types of stars, including main sequence stars, white dwarfs, and neutron stars. It can also aid in the search for exoplanets and in understanding the behavior of stars in binary systems. Furthermore, the techniques used in integral calculus can be applied to other areas of astrophysics, such as cosmology and galactic dynamics.