Is 48x recording speed acceptable for burning a 650MB CD?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the decision to upgrade a CDRW drive and the price difference between a 48x and 52x drive in Malaysia. The general consensus is that the write speed between the two is not significantly different and a 48x drive is sufficient. Some users even suggest going for a cheaper, lower speed drive. The Sony 48x24x48 CDRW burner is mentioned as a good option and it can burn a 650MB CD in 3 minutes and 15 seconds. There is also a mention of an article in Maximum PC about the same topic and the difference in speed between the two drives is only a matter of seconds.
Saint
i decided to upgrade my cdrw,
48x vs 52x price difference is 10USD in malaysia.
from articles of pc magazine i read, the write speed is not much different.
i think 48x is enough.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I recall reading the same thing, although I don't recall where I read it. 48x will burn your CD's plenty fast...save the 10 bucks and go to lunch after you buy it

48x and 52x are blazing and you won't see too much of a difference. I have a 40x and can write a complete cd in about 3-4 minutes.

Heh, I never saw the need to above 24 or even 12... just get the cheap one. :)

I bought the Sony 48x24x48 cdrw burner, just 46 us dollar here.
Good!

To burn 650MB CD by cd-spying on the fly, it takes 3min 15sec if i set 48x recording speed, is this acceptable ?[?]

I read an article in Maximum PC about this same deal. You may want to search for it at http://www.maximumpc.com The actual difference is only by seconds!

Originally posted by Saint
To burn 650MB CD by cd-spying on the fly, it takes 3min 15sec if i set 48x recording speed, is this acceptable ?[?]

I think this is up to you...:wink:
Currently I do it in about 15 min (I use an older Teac...) so you are way ahead...

1. What do the numbers 48x24x48 and 52x24x52 mean on a CDRW?

The first number (48 or 52) represents the maximum writing speed of the CDRW drive in terms of multiples of the original CD writing speed. So in this case, 48x means that the drive can write to a CDRW disc at 48 times the speed of a standard CD writer. The second number (24) indicates the maximum rewriting speed, and the third number (48 or 52) represents the maximum reading speed.

2. Is there a significant difference between 48x24x48 and 52x24x52 CDRW drives?

In terms of writing and rewriting speeds, the difference between 48x and 52x is minimal and may not be noticeable in everyday use. However, the 52x drive may have a slightly faster reading speed, resulting in quicker access to data on the disc.

3. Can I use a 52x24x52 CDRW disc in a 48x24x48 drive?

Yes, you can use a 52x24x52 CDRW disc in a 48x24x48 drive. The drive will simply write to the disc at its maximum writing speed of 48x instead of 52x.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between 48x24x48 and 52x24x52 CDRW drives?

Yes, other factors such as the brand and quality of the drive, as well as the type of CDRW disc being used, can also affect the overall performance. It's important to research and read reviews before making a decision.

5. Can I upgrade my 48x24x48 CDRW drive to a 52x24x52 drive?

It depends on your specific CDRW drive model and its compatibility with newer drives. Some drives may have firmware updates available that can increase the writing speed, but it's best to check with the manufacturer for compatibility and upgrade options.