What Causes the Weakening of Magnetic Strength When Two Magnets are Joined?

• Thread starter scott_sieger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, the conversation is about a diagram design of two joined rings with magnets. The design is symmetric and the outer ring is not attracted to the exterior magnet due to its symmetry. However, the bottom of the rings is attracted more strongly to the exterior magnet, allowing for rotation. The mistake is assuming that the combined strength of the magnets when joined is greater than when apart.
scott_sieger
Hi guys,
Attached is a diagram design in principle i drew some time ago

It's pretty self explanitory

I was wondering if some one can tell my why it is invalid and doesn't work.

Attachments

• eventhorizonmagnets1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I need some explanation after all. Your picture looks completely symmetric. I can so no reason why either ring should turn. The inner ring is already resting on a point below its center of gravity, so there is no net gravitational force.
The outer ring is symmetric about the inner so there is no net magnetic force.
On your picture you have a section that is NOT symmetric labeled "Horizon of greatest attraction". Why is that region not symmetric about the two rings?

'Tis indeed a perpetual riddle, 'cos I'll be damned if I can figure out what you're trying to say Scott

The rimgs are in fact cylinders that are poled magbets as shown.

The join of the two rings offers a greater attraction than the top of the rings there fore the bottom of the rings is attracted more strongly to the large attractor (magnet) to the right thus rotation is possible.

Originally posted by scott_sieger
The rimgs are in fact cylinders that are poled magbets as shown.

The join of the two rings offers a greater attraction than the top of the rings there fore the bottom of the rings is attracted more strongly to the large attractor (magnet) to the right thus rotation is possible.

The problem is the the bottom of the rings aren't attracted more strongly to the exterior magnet. Your assumption that they are is where you are making your mistake.

so when two magnets are joined the combined strength is not more than when apart?

Originally posted by scott_sieger
so when two magnets are joined the combined strength is not more than when apart?
No.

1. What is the meaning of "A perpetual riddle for sure"?

"A perpetual riddle for sure" is a phrase that suggests something is an ongoing mystery or puzzle that is difficult to solve.

2. Where does the phrase "A perpetual riddle for sure" come from?

The origin of the phrase is unclear, but it is often used in literature and popular culture to describe something that remains a mystery or puzzle.

3. Is "A perpetual riddle for sure" a common phrase?

It is not a commonly used phrase in everyday language, but it is often used in art, literature, and media to convey the idea of an unsolvable mystery or puzzle.

4. Can "A perpetual riddle for sure" have multiple interpretations?

Yes, the phrase can have different interpretations depending on the context in which it is used. It can refer to a physical object or situation, or it can be used as a metaphor for a complex problem or idea.

5. How is "A perpetual riddle for sure" relevant to science?

In science, there are many ongoing mysteries and puzzles that are constantly being explored and studied. Therefore, the phrase "A perpetual riddle for sure" can be relevant in describing the ever-evolving nature of scientific knowledge and the quest to uncover the unknown.