Finding Turning Points on a Curve with Implicit Differentiation

• Thread starter DavioSenBoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Implicit
In summary, x^2 = y^2. However, the numerator (y) cannot be zero, so we must find all pairs of (x,y) such that y is not zero and x^2 = y^2. Once we have these points, we can solve for x^2.
DavioSenBoo
find the turning points on the curve with equation

y^3 + 3xy^2 - x^3 = 3

I'm confused bout the 3xy^2 mostly, i kno that xy goes to (y+x dy/dx) but not sure what 2 do bout the power...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use chain and power rules.

d(f(x)g(x))/dx
= f(x)g'(x) + g(x)f'(x)

Also, remember, dz/dx = (dz/dy)(dy/dx)

This is all you need to know, you should be able to figure it out yourself.

We have:

[tex]y^3+3xy^2-x^3=3[/tex]

To perform an implicit differentiation here, we will apply the operator d/dx to each term on both sides of the equation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y^3)+\frac{d}{dx}(3xy^2)-\frac{d}{dx}(x^3)=
\frac{d}{dx}(3)[/tex]

The important thing to remember is that:

[tex]y=y(x)[/tex]

That's why this is called implicit differentiation, because it's implied that y is a function of x. If y were not a function of x, then it could be treated as a constant when differentiating.

On to the first term. You must use the extended chain rule here. The rule is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(u^n)=nu^{n-1}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

So you have:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(y^3)=3y^2\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

This is just like taking the derivative of something like (x^2 + 3)^2 . First you would do the power rule on the whole quantity (x^2 + 3), then you would multiply by the derivative of the "inside" to get 2(x^2 + 3)(2x) . Here (y) is the whole quantity, and the derivative of the "inside" is dy/dx .

It's important to note that you leave the dy/dx part alone after you've differentiated this part. You can't reduce it any further, since you don't know the functional relationship between y and x. Just treat it as another variable to carry along. At the end of the problem, sometimes you will want to solve for dy/dx = f(x,y) .

The second term is done like the above, in combination with the product rule. The power rule is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(fg) = f\frac{dg}{dx} + g\frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

Here, let 3x be f and y^3 be g:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[(3x)(y^2)]=
3x\frac{d}{dx}(y^2) + y^2\frac{d}{dx}(3x)[/tex]

With this you should have enough information to finish the derivative.

Thanx a lot! Think I got it sorted now then, I'm off 2 try it out

Hmm...k well...I tried usin ur advice n I got... dy/dx = (3x^2 - 3y^2) / (3y^2 + 6xy) for the whole thing...is that right? cos if so I'm not 2 sure bout how to find exact turning points, i kno it has to equal 0 but if u multiply through by the denominator, ur left with 0 = 3x^2 - 3y^2 ...so then 3x^2 = 3y^2...which is a lotta points? ...*doesn't have a clue* lol

DavioSenBoo said:
Hmm...k well...I tried usin ur advice n I got... dy/dx = (3x^2 - 3y^2) / (3y^2 + 6xy) for the whole thing...is that right? cos if so I'm not 2 sure bout how to find exact turning points, i kno it has to equal 0 but if u multiply through by the denominator, ur left with 0 = 3x^2 - 3y^2 ...so then 3x^2 = 3y^2...which is a lotta points? ...*doesn't have a clue* lol
Is it? Basically, x^2 = y^2. However, notice that the denominator of the derivative cannot be zero (an undefined derivative is not a turning point, correct?). 3y^2 + 6xy <> 0 must also be satisfied. By inspection, y cannot be zero. Now, we can see that y + 2x <> 0 (divided by 3 and by "y", which is okay because we know y can't be zero). y <> -2x. When would y ever be -2x? If y^2 = x^2, then y could never be -2x anyways (except if y = 0, which is already thrown out) so we simply need to find all pairs, (x,y) such that y is not zero, x^2 = y^2 and the original equation is satisfied. So, plug in y^2 = x^2 into the original equation and solve, and throw out any answer where y = 0.

DavioSenBoo, I think you have the right answer. I also get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{3x^2-3y^2}{3y^2+6xy}[/tex]

I also agree with AKG's reasoning about the number of points given by the zero derivative condition. Looking at the numerator by itself and ignoring the denominator for the moment, we have:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
y^2&=x^2\\
y&=\pm x\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Let's substitute +x in for y in the original equation to see what points we come up with:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
y^3+3xy^2-x^3&=3\\
x^3+3x^3-x^3&=3\\
x&=1
\end{align*}
[/tex]

From the first zero slope condition result, y = x, we see that when x is 1, y is 1, so we have our first important point, (1,1) . Now I will substitue -x in for y:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
y^3+3xy^2-x^3&=3\\
-x^3+3x^3-x^3&=3\\
x&=3^{1/3}\approx 1.44
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Since we used y = -x here, we have a second point, (1.44,-1.44) . These are the critical points, and it seems neither of them is dangerous with respect to the denominator of the derivative expression.

I have made an implicit contour plot of the original equation in MATLAB with these two points labeled. With it, you can see the behavior quite well:

http://omega.uta.edu/~tal0701/pf1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. It is used when the function is given in the form of an equation, where both the dependent and independent variables are present.

2. How does implicit differentiation differ from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is explicitly written in terms of the independent variable. This means that the dependent variable is isolated on one side of the equation. On the other hand, implicit differentiation is used for functions where the dependent variable is not isolated, and both the dependent and independent variables are present in the equation.

3. What is the process for performing implicit differentiation?

The process for implicit differentiation involves taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. The chain rule is used when differentiating functions with multiple variables. The goal is to isolate the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation.

4. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the given function cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. This often occurs when the function is given in the form of an equation and contains multiple variables. It is also used when finding the derivative of implicit functions, such as circles or ellipses.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the rate of change of a quantity in a system, such as the velocity of an object in motion or the rate of change in a chemical reaction. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.