Any gas volume vs field interaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of gases reacting to applied E/M field changes, particularly in regards to producing audible sound with direct interaction with air. The mechanism for this reaction is mentioned as possibly electrostatic repulsion, and potential methods for achieving this are mentioned, such as electrostatic speakers or clapping hands.
wimms
I wonder if there are any gases that react to applied E/M field changes by changing their volume? Apart thermal stuff of course. I assume that piezo electrics apply to solids, but how about gases?

Engineering news on Phys.org
O2 in a magnetic field (probably some others); any gas in an electric field (remember the experiment in which dielectrics are "pulled" into the field?). Anything in particular you're hunting?

hmm, weird. I have checked this thread, but saw no answer to it. Now I see it was answered next day. weird..

Thanks for your hint. I'm thinking about how would it be possible to produce audible sound with as direct interaction with air as possible.
What is the mechanism with O2? Electrostatic repulsion? or something else?

Last edited:
You might browse "electrostatic speakers" for particulars on a nearly direct interaction with air. Driving air itself with E/M fields is going to take field strengths that might be beyond handling.

How about clapping your hands ? Isn't that direct interaction with the air.

1. What is the relationship between gas volume and field interaction?

The gas volume and field interaction can be described by the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure. When a gas is exposed to an electric or magnetic field, the field interacts with the charged particles in the gas, causing changes in the gas volume.

2. How does the type of gas affect its interaction with a field?

The type of gas will determine how it interacts with a field. Some gases, such as noble gases, have stable electron configurations and do not interact with electric or magnetic fields. Other gases, such as ionized gases or plasmas, have free electrons that can be affected by fields and cause changes in the gas volume.

3. Can a gas volume change without any external field interaction?

Yes, a gas volume can change without any external field interaction. This can occur due to changes in temperature, pressure, or the addition or removal of gas molecules. However, external field interactions can also cause changes in gas volume, depending on the type and strength of the field.

4. How do scientists measure the effects of gas volume vs field interaction?

Scientists can measure the effects of gas volume vs field interaction using various techniques such as gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, and spectroscopy. These methods allow for the analysis of gas properties and changes in volume under different field conditions.

5. What application does understanding gas volume vs field interaction have?

Understanding gas volume vs field interaction has many applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is essential to study these interactions to understand the behavior of gases in different environments and to develop technologies such as gas sensors, gas turbines, and plasma-based devices.