Integer Arithmetic for Precise Calculation of Irrational Numbers

In summary, the conversation revolved around the author's passion for documenting 40 years of computer software development, with a particular interest in mathematics. They shared a 5-page PDF of their work on the computation of PI and requested feedback on its usefulness and potential for further development. The expert suggests that the material can be useful, depending on the target audience and purpose of publication, and recommends reaching out to other experts for collaboration and potential next steps. Overall, they applaud the author's dedication and encourage them to continue seeking feedback and pushing the boundaries in their field.
spydrcom
I have authored documents of 40 years of computer software development with a mind to collect them into a publication at some point. They have been built around several software topics but mathemetics is a favorite of mine. I find a point of inspiration and write a piece of software around it and document that process.

The attached 5 page PDF is one such effort inspired by a book on the history of PI. The software has been coded and shows methods of computation of PI. I hit a bit of brick wall forming conclusions at the end of the piece.

The questions are:

1) Is this material useful or is it simplistic and redundant being better addressed in other forms of documentation?

2) It seems there should be a good direction to go with the sub-expressions being maintained as prime factorizations, does this resonate with someone who would like to discuss this further and perhaps help find a next level?

Any and all feedback welcome

Attachments

• IntegerArithmeticAlgorithms.pdf
    72.9 KB · Views: 60
Technology news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work and seeking feedback from fellow scientists. I can appreciate your passion for mathematics and software development. Here are my thoughts on your questions:

1) I believe your material can be useful, especially for those interested in the history of PI and its methods of computation. The fact that you have coded the software and documented the process adds value to your work. However, it would be helpful to know your target audience and the purpose of your publication. If it is meant for a general audience, it may be beneficial to simplify some technical terms and provide more context for those not familiar with the subject. If it is for a more specialized audience, your material may be better addressed in a more technical form.

2) Your idea of maintaining sub-expressions as prime factorizations is intriguing and could potentially lead to further exploration and development. I would suggest reaching out to other mathematicians or software developers who have expertise in this area to discuss and collaborate on potential next steps. Networking and exchanging ideas with others in your field can often lead to new insights and advancements.

Overall, I commend your dedication and hard work in this project and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Keep pushing the boundaries and seeking feedback from others in your field to continue improving and expanding your work. Good luck!

Related to Integer Arithmetic for Precise Calculation of Irrational Numbers

1. What is integer arithmetic?

Integer arithmetic is a mathematical operation that involves using only whole numbers or integers. It includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of integers.

2. What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. They are non-repeating, non-terminating decimals, such as pi and the square root of 2.

3. Why is integer arithmetic important for precise calculation of irrational numbers?

Integer arithmetic allows for more accurate and precise calculations of irrational numbers because it eliminates the rounding errors that can occur with using decimal numbers.

4. How does integer arithmetic help in the calculation of irrational numbers?

Integer arithmetic involves using exact, whole numbers in calculations, which can help avoid errors that can occur when using decimal numbers. This is especially important when dealing with irrational numbers, which cannot be represented as exact decimal numbers.

5. Can integer arithmetic be used for all calculations involving irrational numbers?

No, integer arithmetic is not suitable for all calculations involving irrational numbers. It is most useful for basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. For more complex operations, other methods may be needed.