J Robert Oppenheimer: Writing About Him and Finding a Place for Review

• Thread starter barcat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of J Robert Oppenheimer and the poster's assignment to write an essay about him. They expressed gratitude for the helpful responses they received on the thread, which motivated them to complete the essay on time. The poster also inquired about a platform for submitting writing for review, and another user suggested the website WritingForums.com. They also recommended using a college handbook and dictionary for research and guidance.
barcat
The other day, I posted an inquiry about J Robert Oppenheimer.
I was given an assignment to write a 500-700-word essay about him.
The thread produced enough postings that it gave me the
kick-start I needed to get started on the essay. For that, I am
most appreciative. I was able to complete it and turn it in on time.

I have another question though. Paralleling my attempt to better
myself in the field of science is an attempt to do the same in the
field of literature. Is there a place in cyber space that one can go
to, to submit a writing for review (mostly for grammatical and
structural purposes)? [?]

Physics news on Phys.org
Barcat:

You might try this site:

WritingForums.com :: Index
Address:http://www.writingforums.com/

I have never posted there, myself, so I'm not sure what quality of grammatical and structural guidance you might get, but it seems like the kind of place you should be able to find people willing to tackle that kind of thing.

Also: get yourself a "College Handbook" and a decent dictionary
(I like the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary).

To the extent you can find anyone willing to question anything you've done, you can research it in the handbook and get the official story.

-Zooby

First of all, congratulations on completing your essay on J Robert Oppenheimer and turning it in on time! It's great to hear that our responses on the thread were able to provide you with the necessary motivation to get started on your assignment.

Regarding your question about finding a place for review of your writing, there are definitely many options available online. One popular platform is called "Critique Circle," where writers can submit their work for review and receive feedback from other writers. Another option is to join writing groups or communities on social media, such as Facebook or Goodreads, where writers often offer to exchange feedback on each other's work.

Additionally, many universities and colleges have writing centers or tutoring services that offer free or low-cost assistance with writing and editing. If you are a student, it may be worth checking if your school has such resources available.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of peer review. Asking a friend or classmate to read over your writing can also be helpful in catching any grammatical or structural errors.

Overall, there are plenty of options available for getting your writing reviewed, so don't hesitate to seek out the help and feedback you need to improve your skills in both science and literature. Best of luck on your academic journey!

1. Who is J Robert Oppenheimer?

J Robert Oppenheimer was an American theoretical physicist and professor who is widely known for his role as the scientific director of the Manhattan Project during World War II, which led to the development of the first atomic bomb. He made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and is considered one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century.

2. Why is it important to write about J Robert Oppenheimer?

Oppenheimer's life and work have had a profound impact on science, politics, and society. His involvement in the development of the atomic bomb and his role in the Cold War era have sparked debates and controversies. Writing about him allows for a deeper understanding of his contributions, his complex personality, and the ethical implications of his work.

3. What are some key events in Oppenheimer's life?

Oppenheimer was born in 1904 in New York City and grew up in a wealthy Jewish family. He studied at Harvard University and received his PhD in physics from the University of Göttingen in Germany. During World War II, he worked on the Manhattan Project and became the director of the Los Alamos Laboratory. After the war, he became the chairman of the influential General Advisory Committee of the Atomic Energy Commission. In 1954, he faced accusations of being a security risk and was stripped of his security clearance. He continued to teach and conduct research until his death in 1967.

4. How can one find a place for review when writing about Oppenheimer?

There are various academic journals and publications that specialize in the history of science, atomic history, and Cold War history, which would be suitable for submitting a review about Oppenheimer. Some examples include "Isis: A Journal of the History of Science Society," "Journal of Cold War Studies," and "The Atomic Age." Additionally, there are also online platforms such as H-Net and H-Sci-Med-Tech that offer opportunities for reviews and discussions on topics related to science and history.

5. How has Oppenheimer's legacy been remembered and honored?

Oppenheimer's legacy has been remembered and honored in various ways. In 1963, he was awarded the Enrico Fermi Award, one of the highest honors in the field of science. Numerous books, documentaries, and films have been made about his life and work. In 1965, the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton established the J Robert Oppenheimer Memorial Prize in his honor. In 2008, he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States.