Inteference of incoherent light waves

In summary, interference between light waves can occur even if the waves are not coherent, but the resulting pattern will constantly shift and appear as a uniform illumination. This is due to the phase-independent nature of interference. Our eyes are unable to detect the rapid changes in intensity, resulting in a constant "bright region" being observed.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

i know that for intefernece of light waves to occur , the light waves must be coherent. How if two light waves are incoherent?
according to my notes, inteference can still occur if waves are not coherent, but the position of pattern will shift constantly with time to give a uniform illumination.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my opinion , the constructive intefrence and destructive inteference occur too fast , namely countless times in a second . So our eyes can't detect it. Thus , only 'bright region' will be obersved all the time. please correct me if i am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, actually interference is a phase independent phenomena. If you have read YDSE, then you must know of the equation:-
Intensity(central maxima)=4Icos^2(δ/2)
where, δ and I are phase difference b/w the slits and intensity of the slit respectively.

Now, for incoherent sources, δ varies constantly,
So we have to take the average intensity, the average value of cos^2 function is (1/2)
Hence resultant intensity is constant=2I

Your conclusion is correct that our eyes can't detect that rapid change.

Likes 1 person

Related to Inteference of incoherent light waves

What is interference of incoherent light waves?

The interference of incoherent light waves refers to the phenomenon where two or more light waves with different frequencies or phases overlap and interact with each other, resulting in either constructive or destructive interference.

What causes interference of incoherent light waves?

Interference of incoherent light waves is caused by the superposition of multiple light waves with different frequencies or phases. This can occur when light passes through different mediums or when reflected or diffracted by objects.

What are the applications of interference of incoherent light waves?

The interference of incoherent light waves has various applications in science and technology. It is used in interferometers to measure small displacements, in holography to create 3D images, and in many optical devices such as anti-glare coatings and optical filters.

How does interference of incoherent light waves differ from coherent light waves?

The main difference between interference of incoherent light waves and coherent light waves is the source of the light. Incoherent light waves come from multiple sources with different phases and frequencies, while coherent light waves come from a single source with a constant phase and frequency.

What is the role of interference of incoherent light waves in color perception?

Interference of incoherent light waves plays a significant role in color perception. When different colors of light overlap, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in the perception of different colors. This is the basis of additive color mixing, as seen in computer and TV screens.