##\int \frac{dz}{z} ## along a line on the complex plane

In summary, the discussion centers around the integration of the function ##\int \frac{dz}{z} ## along a line on the complex plane and the confusion surrounding the use of the principal branch ##(-\pi,\pi)## of the multivalued function ##Ln(z)##. It is clarified that the preference for this branch is due to its ability to avoid crossing the negative real axis and the fact that the integral is single-valued for any path that can be smoothly deformed to the original path. However, in cases where the path crosses the negative real axis, a different branch must be chosen. The conversation also touches on the theory behind this methodology and provides an example to illustrate how different branches can lead to different results.
davidbenari
Some time ago I stumbled upon the integration ##\int \frac{dz}{z} ## along a line on the complex plane. I was confused because ##Ln(z)## is a multivalued function but apparently the way you do it is by only considering the principal branch from ##[-\pi,\pi]##.

But I don't understand this at all. I can't find the theory behind this methodology anywhere and was hoping someone could clarify it for me or at least point me towards a source.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it means that you always restrict the imaginary part of the log to the range ##[-\pi,+\pi]##.

There's a formula for the principal value in the wikipedia article on Complex Logarithm.

Yeah it does mean that. But why choose that branch?

Suppose that the path we're supposed to take the integral over starts at the point ##w_0## and ends at ##w##. Obviously the path should not pass through the origin. We can take ##w_0 = r_0 e^{\theta_0}##, with ##\theta_0 \in (-\pi,\pi)##. Similarly, we will have ##w= r e^{\theta}##, with ##\theta \in (-\pi,\pi)##.

We are going to deform the original path in the following way. First we take a circular arc ##L_1## from ##w_0## to the positive real axis at ##r_0##. Then we take a real interval ##L_2## from ##r_0## to ##r##. Finally, we have another circular arc ##L_3## from the positive real axis at ##r## to the point ##w##. The arcs ##L_{1,3}## have to chosen in such a way that the deformation of the original path doesn't cross the origin (a little sketching will make this clear).

The contribution to the integral from ##L_2## is ##\pm \ln r/r_0##. The contribution from ##L_1## and ##L_3## include a term ##i\arg w_0## and ##i\arg w## respectively, but may also include some contributions ##\pm i \pi## representing the branch of the log that we had to choose depending on the relation between the original path, the origin and the part of the real axis we used for ##L_2##.

I can't upload a sketch right now, but hopefully you can follow along and make your own to see how this works.

I've sketched what you said but I don't see where the "contributions ##\pm i\pi ## " come from.

Doing the integral ##\int_{L_1} \frac{dz}{z} ## yields ##\ln(r_o)-\ln(r_o)-i\arg w_o ##.

What am I seeing wrong? Also I don't understand how this resolves the preference towards the branch ##(-\pi,\pi)##.

davidbenari said:
I've sketched what you said but I don't see where the "contributions ##\pm i\pi ## " come from.

Doing the integral ##\int_{L_1} \frac{dz}{z} ## yields ##\ln(r_o)-\ln(r_o)-i\arg w_o ##.

What am I seeing wrong? Also I don't understand how this resolves the preference towards the branch ##(-\pi,\pi)##.

Let me choose a specific example to illustrate how we can have different contributions to the integral depending on the original path and the location of the origin.

Let ##w_0 = e^{-i3\pi/4}## and ##w = 2 e^{i\pi/4}##. So we integrate from the 3rd quadrant to the 1st quadrant and let's say we use a path on the right side of the origin. Then ##L_1## involves the counterclockwise arc ## z = e^{it}## where ## -3\pi/4 \leq t \leq 0##, so we get
$$\int_{L_1} \frac{dz}{z} = i \int_{-3\pi/4}^0 dt = 3i\pi/4. $$
##L_2## gives us ##\ln 2##, while ##L_3## gives ##i\pi/4##. So
$$I = \ln 2 + i \pi.$$

However, if the path was on the left side of the origin, we need to take ##L'_1## to be the clockwise arc from ## -3\pi/4## to ##0##. So now we get
$$\int_{L'_1} \frac{dz}{z} = i \int_{-3\pi/4}^{-\pi} dt + i \int_\pi^0 dt = -5i\pi/4. $$
The other integrals are the same, so we get
$$I = \ln 2 - i \pi.$$
So this is a different branch of the log. It's apparently not ##\pm i \pi##, but ##\pm 2i\pi##.

Note that the reason for the different answers is that the 2nd path crosses the negative real axis, so we have to choose a different branch of the log. If we put the branch cut on the negative real axis, then we have the ##(-\pi,\pi)## branch and we don't allow any integration paths to cross the negative real axis. As long as we keep to this rule, then we will only get a single value for the integration. I think this is what you wanted to see.

Likes davidbenari
But I thought that the branch ##(-\pi,\pi)## was the "true" one. Are all branches valid then and its just a matter of convention to choose ##(-\pi,\pi)##?

I mean the integral as a sort of Riemann sum should strictly be single valued shouldn't it?

Given a specified path, the integral is single-valued for any path that can be smoothly deformed to the original path. In the example, the second path cannot be smoothly deformed to the first path because we're not allowed to move the path through the origin. The first path doesn't cross the negative real axis, so the ##(-\pi,\pi)## branch is a valid choice. The second path does cross the negative real axis, so the integral that I did selects a different branch.

Whether or not you can use the principal branch will depend on the nature of the problem. If you can specify the problem so as to avoid the branch cut on the negative real axis, then you can probably use the principal branch. However, it may be that you can't avoid the negative real axis, like when the second path is specified in the example.

Likes davidbenari
Okay okay I think I get it now. I was told the branch ##(-\pi,\pi)## avoided all these problems but I don't see why, since not all paths can be smoothly deformed such that ##(-\pi,\pi)## is a valid branch. I.e. Maybe you're forced to cross the negative real axis... Right?

davidbenari said:
Okay okay I think I get it now. I was told the branch ##(-\pi,\pi)## avoided all these problems but I don't see why, since not all paths can be smoothly deformed such that ##(-\pi,\pi)## is a valid branch. I.e. Maybe you're forced to cross the negative real axis... Right?

Yes, that is what I meant. Here's an example of a problem where it is easiest to put the branch cut of the logarithm on the positive real axis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_contour_integration#Example_.28IV.29_.E2.80.93_branch_cuts

Likes davidbenari

Related to ##\int \frac{dz}{z} ## along a line on the complex plane

1. What is the significance of the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## along a line on the complex plane?

The integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## along a line on the complex plane is known as a contour integral. It represents the sum of infinitely many infinitesimal values of ##\frac{dz}{z}## along the specified line. This type of integral is important in complex analysis and has many applications in physics and engineering.

2. How is the contour for the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## chosen?

The contour for the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## is usually chosen to be a closed loop in the complex plane. This allows for the application of Cauchy's integral theorem, which states that the integral around a closed loop of a function that is analytic in the interior of the loop is equal to zero.

3. What is the relationship between the value of the integral and the singularities of the function?

The value of the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## is affected by the presence of singularities of the function within the chosen contour. If the function has a singularity within the contour, the integral may not exist or may have a non-zero value. If the function is analytic within the contour, the integral will be equal to zero.

4. How is the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## evaluated?

The integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## is evaluated using the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the value of the integral is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its singularities within the contour. The residue at a singularity is found by taking the limit of the function as the singularity is approached.

5. What are some applications of the integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## along a line on the complex plane?

The integral ##\int \frac{dz}{z}## has many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. In addition, this type of integral is important in the field of complex analysis for understanding the behavior of analytic functions.