Insulation Resistance Testing - Issue with Hi-Pot Tester

In summary, the speaker is discussing using a HiPot tester to test for leakage between a string-pot and housing case. The minimum capable voltage of the tester is 100VDC, while the requirement for the test is 45VDC. To achieve this voltage, the speaker plans to use two power resistors to divide the voltage down to 50V. They are concerned about the wattage rating for the resistors, as leakage could result in high resistances and potentially cause the resistors to burn up. The speaker is not an EE by trade and is seeking advice for the best way to design the resistors for this test. The conversation also mentions that it may not matter if the test is done at 100 volts instead
elmos
So, I have a HiPot tester with a minimum capable voltage of 100VDC.

I'm testing for any leakage between a string-pot and the housing case for the unit it goes into, with the requirement being 45VDC applied to it. With the HiPot tester incapable of supplying a voltage that low, I am thinking of using two power resistors to divide the voltage down to 50V, and then supplying that voltage to the EUT. I'm using power resistors to prevent the resistors from burning up in the event that I have leakage.

My question is: "what rated wattage should I choose for the resistors?" Is it a simple P=V^2/I problem? I'm guessing that leakage could result from fairly high resistances (kOhm range), but then it's entirely possible to have it down to 1 ohm or less if the wiring is bad.

I'm not a EE by trade (Aerospace), and I've been thrown into putting together this test for a qualification effort, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you put resistors across your tester, the tester will read the value of the resistors.

Would it matter if you tested at 100 volts? If it was OK at 100 volts, it would be OK at 50, surely?

To answer your question, you work out the worst case and design your resistors accordingly.
Is it a simple P=V^2/I problem?
Yes, it is.

Assume the lower resistor is going to get shorted out. The top one then has 100 volts across it. If it was 1000 ohms, it would have to be rated for better than 10 watts. E^2/ R = 10 watts.
Normally, it would have 50 volts across it so it would be dissipating 2.5 watts.

As a scientist, it is important to follow proper testing procedures and ensure accurate results. In this case, it seems that the HiPot tester is not capable of supplying the required voltage for the insulation resistance test. While using power resistors to divide the voltage may seem like a solution, it is important to consider the potential risks and limitations.

First, it is important to know the exact voltage and current requirements for the insulation resistance test. This will determine the appropriate wattage for the power resistors. It is not a simple P=V^2/I problem because the resistance of the EUT (Equipment Under Test) is also a factor that needs to be considered.

Additionally, using power resistors to divide the voltage may not accurately simulate the actual conditions of the EUT in its intended use. The EUT may have different resistance levels and the power resistors may not accurately replicate that. This could affect the accuracy and reliability of the test results.

Furthermore, using power resistors may not be the safest option. They can generate heat and may not be able to withstand the voltage and current requirements for a prolonged period of time. This could lead to potential safety hazards and damage to the equipment.

As a scientist, it is important to consult with a qualified electrical engineer or technician to determine the best course of action for this test. They can provide guidance on selecting the appropriate equipment and procedures to ensure accurate and safe testing. It may also be necessary to invest in a different HiPot tester that is capable of supplying the required voltage for the test.

Related to Insulation Resistance Testing - Issue with Hi-Pot Tester

1. What is insulation resistance testing?

Insulation resistance testing is a method used to measure the electrical resistance of a material or component to determine its ability to resist the flow of electrical current. This is an important test for identifying any potential issues with the insulation of electrical components and ensuring their safety and functionality.

2. What is a Hi-Pot tester and why is there an issue with it?

A Hi-Pot tester, also known as a high potential or hipot tester, is a specialized piece of equipment used to perform insulation resistance testing. The issue with Hi-Pot testers can vary, but common problems include inaccurate readings, malfunctioning equipment, or improper usage resulting in potential safety hazards.

3. How is insulation resistance testing performed?

Insulation resistance testing is typically performed by applying a high voltage to the material or component being tested and measuring the resulting current flow. The resistance value is then calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I). This process is repeated multiple times to ensure accurate and consistent results.

4. What are the benefits of insulation resistance testing?

Insulation resistance testing is an important quality control measure that helps to ensure the safety and reliability of electrical components. It can identify any potential issues with insulation before they become major problems, preventing costly repairs or accidents. It also helps to ensure that electrical systems are functioning properly and within their specified tolerances.

5. How often should insulation resistance testing be performed?

The frequency of insulation resistance testing depends on the specific industry and regulations. In general, it is recommended to perform this test during initial equipment installation, after any repairs or modifications, and periodically as part of routine maintenance. It is also important to perform insulation resistance testing whenever there are any signs of potential issues, such as abnormal readings or safety concerns.