Instrument Error or Standard Deviation

If you have a very large or very small value then you may want to use a different method. In summary, both methods are reasonable estimates and using the larger one is a common approach. However, calculating error directly from the data set using ##α## is recommended and allows for further analysis.
no_face
I had a question about how to properly perform error analysis on a series of distance measurements. I need to find the relative error in the distance. I was wondering, should I use the instrument uncertainty divided by the measurement (in this case, it would be 0.005m / (mean measurement)). Or, should I be using the formula that relates absolute error to standard deviation: σx=sx/(N1/2), then use this value to find relative error. Or, should I use whichever one is larger to account for the largest possible error?

Physics news on Phys.org
no_face said:
I had a question about how to properly perform error analysis on a series of distance measurements. I need to find the relative error in the distance. I was wondering, should I use the instrument uncertainty divided by the measurement (in this case, it would be 0.005m / (mean measurement)). Or, should I be using the formula that relates absolute error to standard deviation: σx=sx/(N1/2), then use this value to find relative error. Or, should I use whichever one is larger to account for the largest possible error?

Both are reasonable ball park estimates, and using the larger one is a common approach. There are subtleties regarding random and systematic errors which prevent either from being rigorous.

no_face said:

If you have a data set I always recommend calculating error from it directly. You should find ##\alpha = \frac{σ_{n-1}}{{n^{1/2}}}##, remember to calculate the standard deviation as n-1, you lose a degree of freedom when working from the set. You can then analyze the data, apply Chauvenet's criterion, relative error, etc.

Related to Instrument Error or Standard Deviation

What is instrument error?

Instrument error refers to the difference between the actual value and the measured value of a quantity due to imperfections or limitations in the instrument being used.

What causes instrument error?

Instrument error can be caused by a variety of factors, such as inaccurate calibration, environmental conditions, and human error. It can also be inherent in the design or manufacturing of the instrument.

How is instrument error calculated?

Instrument error is typically calculated by taking the difference between the measured value and the actual value and expressing it as a percentage or absolute value.

What is standard deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data is from the mean. It is calculated by taking the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared differences from the mean.

How is standard deviation used in science?

Standard deviation is used in science to determine the variability or precision of a set of data. It can also be used to compare the results of different experiments or to assess the reliability of an instrument's measurements.