Instrument and springs attached to it

In summary, the speaker is struggling to solve a textbook problem and has found someone who solved it but is having trouble understanding one step. They provide a link to a figure showing the problem and explain a formula they understand, but are confused about how the other person got certain numbers. They also mention wanting a simpler solution using F=ma and solving an ODE.
Imagin_e
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hi!

I am trying to solve a textbook problem without any success. Fortunately, I found someone that solved it but there is one step that I don't get. Here is a figure showing the problem : https://ibb.co/koatCa
upload_2017-5-22_9-50-18.png

First, we have (I get this part since I found a similar use of it in the book):

X/b=1/|1-(ω/ωn)2|=0.15/0.10=1.5

And the thing I can't understand is how the person get the following numbers:

For ω<ωn : ω/ωn= 0.577
For ω>ωn: ω/ωn=1.291

Anyone who can explain?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't define b but if you're using conventional symbols, b represents damping but there is no damping in this problem.
Anyway, define your symbols.

Would be nice if you could just write F = ma for this problem, then solve a simple ODE to get x(t) as a function of driving frequency and (constant) amplitude.

Related to Instrument and springs attached to it

1. What is an instrument and springs attached to it?

An instrument and springs attached to it refers to a device or tool that has springs connected to it, either as a component or as an attachment, to aid in its function or movement.

2. How do the springs affect the instrument's performance?

The springs attached to an instrument can affect its performance in several ways. They can provide tension, stability, or resistance, depending on the design and purpose of the instrument. The springs can also help regulate the instrument's movement or produce specific sounds or vibrations.

3. What types of instruments typically have springs attached to them?

Springs can be found in various instruments, including string instruments, percussion instruments, and wind instruments. For example, the strings in a guitar are attached to the instrument's body using springs, and the keys on a piano are supported by springs.

4. How are the springs attached to the instrument?

The method of attaching the springs to an instrument depends on the design of the instrument. In some cases, the springs may be soldered or screwed onto the instrument, while in others, they may be attached using clips or clamps. The placement and tension of the springs are also essential for proper functioning.

5. Can the springs attached to an instrument be replaced or adjusted?

Yes, the springs attached to an instrument can be replaced or adjusted if needed. Over time, springs can wear out or lose tension, affecting the instrument's performance. It is essential to regularly check and maintain the springs to ensure optimal functionality of the instrument.