Instantaneous Velocity and Acceleration

In summary: The average velocity is the total distance traveled divided by the time it takes to travel that distance.
VaioZ

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its velocity is given by the equation v(t)=(7.20m/s^2)t-(0.720m/s^3)t^2 Determine the following
a. The average velocity of the car from t=0s to t=10s
b. The instantaneous velocity of the car at t=10s
c. The average acceleration of the car at t=10s
d. The instantaneous acceleration of the car at t=10.s

Homework Equations

Derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

in a.) I integrated the equation to get the position function
x(t)=(1/2)(7.20m/s^2)(t^2)+(1/3)(-0.720m/s^3)(t^3)+C
then I substitute t = 10 s
I got 120 m/s but the answer should be -72 m/s <- So I need help hereb.) I derive the x(t) to return the original equation then I substitute t = 10 s right?
c.) I'll simply derive the original equation (7.20m/s^2)+2(-0.720)(10) = -7.2 m/s^2
d.) Use the original equation then plug in t = 10 s ? <- Help

Physics news on Phys.org
VaioZ said:

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its velocity is given by the equation v(t)=(7.20m/s^2)t-(0.720m/s^3)t^2 Determine the following

Homework Equations

Derivatives

I got 120 m/s but the answer should be -72 m/s <- So I need help here

If x(t) is the position of the car, why are the units m/s? That's your first problem.

Exactly which question does -72 m/s answer?

VaioZ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Derivatives

Where did the -72 m/s come from? I calculated that the distance covered over 10 sec was 120 m. So the average velocity should be 12 m/s. During the 10 sec, the instantaneous velocity is never zero, so the average certainly shouldn't be negative.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Where did the -72 m/s come from? I calculated that the distance covered over 10 sec was 120 m. So the average velocity should be 12 m/s. During the 10 sec, the instantaneous velocity is never zero, so the average certainly shouldn't be negative.

Chet

I borrowed my friend's notebook because I studying about kinematic then I saw this example and resolved it. The answer on a letter A is -72(on his notebook) but I got 120 soooooo I posted in this forum to confirm which is the right answer

SteamKing said:
If x(t) is the position of the car, why are the units m/s? That's your first problem.

Exactly which question does -72 m/s answer?

oooops I meant to say 120 m

VaioZ said:
I borrowed my friend's notebook because I studying about kinematic then I saw this example and resolved it. The answer on a letter A is -72(on his notebook) but I got 120 soooooo I posted in this forum to confirm which is the right answer
So, from what you know now, was his answer right or not?

Chestermiller said:
So, from what you know now, was his answer right or not?

First I was frustrated that I can't get -72 m which consuming all my time so I decided to post my silly question (sorry guys I have to do it time is gold right?)

but I conclude that maybe he miscalculate his problem or something
but it is confirm the answer in a.) is 120 m? I always get 120 m. Sooooooo I hope I'm right. This problem is already wasted 1 hour in my review session.

VaioZ said:
First I was frustrated that I can't get -72 m which consuming all my time so I decided to post my silly question (sorry guys I have to do it time is gold right?)

but I conclude that maybe he miscalculate his problem or something
but it is confirm the answer in a.) is 120 m? I always get 120 m. Sooooooo I hope I'm right. This problem is already wasted 1 hour in my review session.
What is the definition of average velocity? Does velocity have units of meters?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What is the definition of average velocity? Does velocity have units of meters?

Chet

I meant to say when you're getting x(t) the units should m or meters right? So I answered 120 m. Then I use average velocity = ΔX/ΔT soooo 120 m / 10 s = 12 m/s right?
This is for letter A

VaioZ said:
I meant to say when you're getting x(t) the units should m or meters right? So I answered 120 m. Then I use average velocity = ΔX/ΔT soooo 120 m / 10 s = 12 m/s right?
This is for letter A
Correct.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Correct.

Chet

for letter B finding the in instantaneous velocity. I don't need to derive it because it is already in v(t)
I'll just plug t = 10 s into v(t)=(7.20m/s^2)t-(0.720m/s^3)t^2

I got 0 m/s hmmm I find it odd to get 0 in instantaneous velocity

VaioZ said:
for letter B finding the in instantaneous velocity. I don't need to derive it because it is already in v(t)
I'll just plug t = 10 s into v(t)=(7.20m/s^2)t-(0.720m/s^3)t^2

I got 0 m/s hmmm I find it odd to get 0 in instantaneous velocity
Have you ever heard of speeding up, then slowing down, and finally stopping.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Have you ever heard of speeding up, then slowing down, and finally stopping.

Chet

Oh okay that make sense to prove that it I can get 0 m/s thank you!

Very good job. You were very close on a.
..The integration was correct.
..Just a minor math error

VaioZ said:

Homework Statement

1) Remember, you are calculating average velocity for the 10 second period. Since the initial velocity is 0 m/s. The final velocity is 0 m/s. And all velocities in between are greater than zero there is no way the answer can be a negative number.

2) You have to dispose of the C by applying the equation when t=0. Naturally C= 0 so you can dispense with it.

3) You calculated x(t) at 10 seconds to be 120 Meters (not m/s). So you got the distance traveled in ten seconds correct.

4) You are going for average velocity. so that is the distance traveled divided by the time. v avg = [x(10s) - x (0s) ] / [t(10s) - t(0s)]
V avg = 120 m / 10 s = 12 m/s

Question: Now how do you check the answer?

What is the difference between AVERAGE acceleration and INSTANTANEOUS acceleration.
{Perhaps c. should be from t=0s to t=10s}

VaioZ said:

Practicing Latex

Velocity
[tex] v(t)=(7.20m/s^2) \times t-(0.720m/s^3) \times t^2[/tex]

Distance traveled is the area under the curve.
So he needed to integrate the velocity equation, which he did correctly.
[tex] \int v(t) \, dt = x(t) = \frac {7.20m/s^2 \times t^2} {2} \quad + \quad \frac {-0.720m/s^3 \times t^3} {3} \quad+ \quad C [/tex]

And Acceleration is the slope of the velocity line.
So he needed to derive the velocity equation, which he did correctly.
[tex] \frac {\partial v(t)} {\partial t}= a(t) = 7.20m/s^2 \quad + \quad 2 \times (-0.720)m/s^3 \times t \quad [/tex]

Related to Instantaneous Velocity and Acceleration

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate at which an object is moving at a specific moment in time. It is often described as the slope of the tangent line on a position-time graph.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

While average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time, instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides information about an object's motion at a specific moment.

3. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for instantaneous velocity is v = lim Δt→0 Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time interval. This formula can also be written as v = dx/dt, where dx is the change in position and dt is the change in time.

4. How is instantaneous velocity related to acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment, so the instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at that same moment. Acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

5. How can instantaneous velocity and acceleration be used in real-world situations?

Instantaneous velocity and acceleration are important concepts in physics and are used in various real-world situations. For example, they are used in sports to analyze an athlete's performance, in traffic engineering to optimize traffic flow, and in designing roller coasters to ensure a thrilling but safe ride for riders.