Instantaneous response of damped simple harmonic motion

In summary, the Simulink model of SHM does not respond quickly enough for the input force. Increasing the spring constant does not help.
james6008
Hi

I am trying to model SHM in Simulink as shown here:
http://pundit.pratt.duke.edu/wiki/Simulink/Tutorials/DiffEq

I have tried using different values of spring constant and damping to get instant response to the input force. I am measuring the displacement calculated by SHM. The force changes with time and the model responds to the change but the response is delayed by a certain amount of time which depends on damping mostly but sometimes its due to spring constant too. I can not get the model to respond any quicker than 1.5 seconds. I would like it to respond in < 0.5s. I have mass of 5kg, force about 30N/m, spring constant of 35 and damping of 15. I am allowed to change the spring constant and damping as I like.

Any idea what could be causing the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how the frequency of the response in SHM depends on the mass and stiffness?

If you don't know the "formula", try setting the damping to a small value like 1 and see what happens with different spring constants.

If you do know the formula, work out what spring constant you need to get the frequency high enough. If you want a response in < 0.5 sec the frequency needs to be > 2 Hz.

Hi

I believe the formula you are talking about is:

w = sqrt (k / m )

m = 5kg and I can re-arrange this to calculate the spring constant (k) for 2 Hz. I get a value of 790 which is way too high. In order to get a response of 1.5s I am using k=45.

Another problem with the model is that if you increase the spring constant too much, the system never stabilises and the response starts going in the opposite direction infinitely.

In your OP you said you could have any spring constant you like. Now you changed the rules and said 790 is too high!

If you are getting the response you want in 1.5 sec, but you want to speed it up to 0.5 sec, that is multiplying the frequency by 3. So using the formula you need to multiply the stiffness by 32 = 9 which would give k = about 400.

If your response goes to infinity when k is high, there must be something else wrong with your simulation.

Hello,

It seems that you are trying to model a damped simple harmonic motion (SHM) system in Simulink. As you have noticed, the response of the system is dependent on the values of spring constant and damping. The damping factor plays a crucial role in determining the speed of response in a damped SHM system.

In your case, it seems that the damping factor of 15 is causing the system to respond with a delay of 1.5 seconds. This is because the higher the damping factor, the slower the system responds. To achieve a quicker response time of less than 0.5 seconds, you will need to decrease the damping factor. This can be done by either reducing the damping coefficient or increasing the spring constant.

Additionally, you can also try adjusting the mass and force values to see if that has an impact on the response time. It is important to note that the response time will also be affected by any external factors, such as friction or air resistance, which may not be included in your model.

I would also suggest exploring different methods of modeling SHM in Simulink, such as using different blocks or techniques, to see if that can improve the response time. Overall, the key is to find a balance between the spring constant and damping factor to achieve the desired response time. I hope this helps. Good luck with your modeling!

Related to Instantaneous response of damped simple harmonic motion

1. What is the definition of instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion?

The instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion refers to the motion of an object at a specific moment in time, taking into account the effects of damping on the oscillation of the object. It is the movement of the object at a particular instant, rather than over a period of time.

2. How is the instantaneous response affected by damping in a simple harmonic motion?

The instantaneous response is affected by damping in simple harmonic motion because damping reduces the amplitude of the oscillation and decreases the speed of the object. This results in an overall decrease in the energy of the system, which affects the instantaneous response at any given moment in time.

3. What is the formula for calculating the instantaneous response of damped simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating the instantaneous response of damped simple harmonic motion is given by x(t) = Ae^(-bt/2m)cos(wt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object at time t, A is the initial amplitude, b is the damping constant, m is the mass of the object, w is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. How does the damping ratio affect the instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion?

The damping ratio, represented by the symbol ζ, affects the instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion by determining the type of damping present in the system. A larger damping ratio indicates a greater amount of damping, resulting in a quicker decrease in amplitude and energy, and ultimately affecting the instantaneous response at any given time.

5. What factors can impact the instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion?

The instantaneous response in damped simple harmonic motion can be impacted by several factors, including the damping ratio, the initial amplitude of the oscillation, the mass of the object, and the damping constant. Additionally, external forces or disturbances can also affect the instantaneous response of the system.