Instantaneous Rate Word Problems

• Thread starter leibnitz2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, there are two problems presented, one involving water draining from a conical tank and the other involving the separation of a submarine and an enemy destroyer. Both problems require the use of differentiation without the chain rule or trigonometric differentiation. A helpful equation for differentiating a cube root function is provided. The speaker has found solutions to both problems, but the answers do not match those in the book, despite multiple attempts. They are interested in alternative solutions to the problems.
leibnitz2001
1. Water is draining out of a conical tank at a constant rate of 4 feet cubed per minute. Before the tank began draining, the depth of water was 12 ft and the diameter of the waters surface was 8 ft. How fast will the water level be falling when half the water has drained from the tank?

2. A submarine passes directly beneath an enemy destroyer. The sub is 200 ft below the surface of the water, moving northeastward at 40 mi per hour. The destroyer is sailing due south at 25 mi per hr. At what rate will the vessels be seperating after 1/2 hour?

I have figured out a solution for the first problem, but for some reason, even after several attempts, the answer did not match that in the book.

The second problem has given me a little more problem in that I cannot find a proper set up for the problem.

Note that also, these problems are to be done without use of the chain rule or trigonometric differentiation: all that is at your disposal are the basic product, sum, difference, quotient rules of differentiation.

For differentiating a cube root function, this equation comes in handy, which is derived from the product rule:

If f(x)=cube root of g(x), then f'(x) equals g'(x)/(3 times cube root of g(x)^2)

I am interesting in some other solutions to these problems you might be able to provide.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing a picture?

As I said, I have found solutions to both of the problems. The issue is that my answer is not matching that with the book, despite the fact that I have redone the problems numerous times.

Related to Instantaneous Rate Word Problems

1. What is an instantaneous rate word problem?

An instantaneous rate word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of a specific variable at a particular moment in time. It requires the use of calculus concepts, such as derivatives, to solve.

2. How do I solve an instantaneous rate word problem?

To solve an instantaneous rate word problem, you must first identify the variable that is changing and the specific point in time that you want to find the rate of change for. Then, use the appropriate calculus formula, such as the derivative, to calculate the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

3. What real-life situations can be represented by instantaneous rate word problems?

Instantaneous rate word problems can represent many real-life situations, such as the speed of a car at a specific moment, the rate of change of population over time, or the growth rate of a bacteria colony at a certain point in time.

4. What are the key concepts needed to solve instantaneous rate word problems?

The key concepts needed to solve instantaneous rate word problems are understanding derivatives, rates of change, and how to find the slope of a line at a specific point. You should also be familiar with basic algebra and calculus formulas.

5. What are some tips for solving instantaneous rate word problems?

Some tips for solving instantaneous rate word problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the variable and point in time, using the correct formula and units, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It can also be helpful to practice with different types of problems to improve your skills.