Instantaneous Center of Rotation for a Differential Drive Robot

In summary, to find the instantaneous center of rotation of a differential drive robot, you can use the equations given on the rossum.sourceforge.net website. However, there may be some issues with your calculations or data collection that could be causing the perceived center points to not align with the expected center point. Make sure your robot is moving in a perfect circle with constant linear and angular velocities, check your initial values, and collect more data points if needed. If you continue to have trouble, reach out to the creators of the simulator for further assistance.
frixis
Hi,
I want to find the instantaneous center of rotation of a differential drive robot. Assuming I know that the robot will travel with a particular linear and angular velocity (v,w) I can use the equations (given here http://rossum.sourceforge.net/papers/CalculationsForRobotics/CirclePath.htm ).

which come out to be

x_c = x_0 - abs(v/w) sin(\theta_0) y_c = y_0 - abs(v/w) cos(\theta_0)

I'm using the webots simulator and I dumped gps points for the robot moving in a circle (constant v,w (1,1)) and instead of a single x_c and y_c I get a center point for every point. if I plot it out in MATLAB it does not look nice.

Here's an image ...

the red points in the image are the perceived centers

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzLnU1-OKHh7dmxvbGU1bDFKcFU/edit?usp=sharing

they just seem to trace the curve itself.

is there some detail I am missing ? I'm really really confused as to what's happening.

help please

I'm trying to figure out the center so I can check whether an obstacle is on this circle or not and whether collision will occur.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there, it looks like you're on the right track with your calculations. However, there are a few things that could be causing the issue you're seeing.

First, make sure that your robot is actually moving in a perfect circle with a constant linear and angular velocity. Any slight variations in the robot's movement could affect the perceived center points.

Second, check your calculations and make sure you're using the correct values for x_0, y_0, and \theta_0. These values should be the initial position and orientation of the robot before it starts moving in a circle.

Lastly, it's possible that there could be some error in the GPS points you've collected. Try collecting more data points and see if the perceived center points start to converge to a single point.

If none of these solutions work, it might be helpful to reach out to the creators of the webots simulator for further assistance. Good luck with your research!

Related to Instantaneous Center of Rotation for a Differential Drive Robot

1. What is the instantaneous center of rotation for a differential drive robot?

The instantaneous center of rotation is the point around which a differential drive robot rotates at a given moment in time. It is the point where the two wheels of the robot meet and rotate in opposite directions.

2. How is the instantaneous center of rotation calculated for a differential drive robot?

The instantaneous center of rotation is calculated using the kinematic equations of the robot's motion. It takes into account the distance between the two wheels, their individual velocities, and the direction of rotation.

3. Why is the instantaneous center of rotation important for a differential drive robot?

The instantaneous center of rotation is important because it determines the robot's turning radius and the path it will take while moving. It also helps in planning and controlling the robot's movements.

4. Can the instantaneous center of rotation change while a differential drive robot is moving?

Yes, the instantaneous center of rotation can change as the robot moves and changes its direction or speed. It is a dynamic point that constantly adjusts as the robot moves.

5. How does the instantaneous center of rotation affect a differential drive robot's turning capabilities?

The instantaneous center of rotation plays a crucial role in a differential drive robot's turning capabilities. The closer the center of rotation is to the robot's center of mass, the better it can turn and maneuver. If the center of rotation is outside the robot's base, it may cause instability and difficulty in turning.