Instant Gov't Scanner: Know Everything About You From 50m Away

• Thread starter 83729780
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Government
In summary: I am simply saying that if someone wants to oppress me they will do it. If I can exploit the situation to my advantage I will. I don't prefer it, but if I am oppressed I will do what I can to make something positive happen from it.In summary, the article discusses a new laser-based molecular scanner that can instantly gather information about a person's body, clothes, and luggage from a distance of 164 feet. The technology is being developed for use in airports and border crossings and its stated goal is to identify explosives, dangerous chemicals, or bioweapons. However, the article's claims of the scanner being able to detect things like what someone had for breakfast or their adrenaline level may be exaggerated. The technology
I am seeking informed feedback regarding this article, which is being widely reported on by the media:

http://gizmodo.com/5923980/the-secret-government-laser-that-instantly-knows-everything-about-you

Hidden Government Scanners Will Instantly Know Everything About You From 164 Feet Away
Gizmodo

Within the next year or two, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will instantly know everything about your body, clothes, and luggage with a new laser-based molecular scanner fired from 164 feet (50 meters) away. From traces of drugs or gun powder on your clothes to what you had for breakfast to the adrenaline level in your body—agents will be able to get any information they want without even touching you.

And without you knowing it.
The technology is so incredibly effective that, in November 2011, its inventors were subcontracted by In-Q-Tel to work with the US Department of Homeland Security. In-Q-Tel is a company founded "in February 1999 by a group of private citizens at the request of the Director of the CIA and with the support of the U.S. Congress." According to In-Q-Tel, they are the bridge between the Agency and new technology companies.

Their plan is to install this molecular-level scanning in airports and border crossings all across the United States. The official, stated goal of this arrangement is to be able to quickly identify explosives, dangerous chemicals, or bioweapons at a distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Honestly I find the article leans pretty far to the side of overreaction. All this really appears to be is a tunable picosecond laser (not really new AFAIK) which can emit in the terahertz wavelength (or perhaps excite in a different wavelength and receive terahertz?) for the purpose of ultra-sensitive Raman spectroscopy.

What they don't tell you in the article is that while yes it's theoretically very sensitive, data analysis is going to be a big problem. Additionally, for a remote-sensing spectrometer such as they're proposing, you would need to be able to excite the target (more importantly the specific substance on the target) and receive a signal from it; in other words detecting something on the bottom of your shoe is out of the question. The only way they can detect "what you had for lunch" is if you have crumbs leftover from it on your clothes or face.

Also for the purpose of target acquisition this device would have to be aimed- looking at a whole room of people means you get a signal from everyone and don't know who the positive hit is coming from.

My overall reaction is meh, it's honestly about the same (or possibly less) in terms of invasiveness when compared to terahertz imaging, backscatter x-ray imaging, etc. In reality it's no worse than those "air puffer" devices I saw a few years ago that attempt to dislodge rogue particles from your clothes using compressed air puffs and suck them through a spectrometer. Calling it a "laser scanner technology" is pretty inaccurate in my opinion...

Last edited:

Cool technology, I like it. Kind of reminds me of a quantum cascade laser's ability to detect chemicals.

In fact now that I think about it they don't really say what wavelength range this laser operates in, but they don't really specifically say the laser emits or detects terahertz... they just say the laser works in a broad wavelenth band and then Gizmodo also shows an excerpt of a paragraph talking broadly about potential terahertz spectroscopy.

One way or another, it isn't "Big Brother" come to get us.

Edit: Here's a link about it's THz application: http://www.geniaphotonics.com/business-markets/defense-and-security/terahertz-spectroscopy/

Last edited by a moderator:

This obviously falls right between hoof prints.

I will simply choose the identity I want for the day and wear that tag.

Embrace and exploit works far better than whining about oppression.

HowlerMonkey said:
Embrace and exploit works far better than whining about oppression.

Define "works far better."

Why they would want to know half the information they can obtain is beyond me.

It is inconceivable any such technology would not be highly classified if it worked as advertised.

My dog could have told me all that stuff. Unfortunately we had to bury him on Wednesday. Yes, I am being serious, there is something missing in my life. And no, he wasn't 'highly classified' at all. Everyone who ever met him loved him.
-
But back on topic, dogs can tell a lot about people and no one thinks about it but when some machine supposedly can everyone gets excited.

Last edited:

Averagesupernova said:
My dog could have told me all that stuff. Unfortunately we had to bury him on Wednesday. Yes, I am being serious, there is something missing in my life. And no, he wasn't 'highly classified' at all. Everyone who ever met him loved him.
I am so sad to hear that. :cry: R.I.P sweet dog.

Mech_Engineer said:

It means that I will be mastering the technology while you are trying to bait someone on a forum.

Last edited:

So your feeling is that you'd rather be oppressed and find a way to circumvent or exploit the technology, rather than prevent its use in the first place?

Your claim that "embrace and exploit works far better than whining about oppression" is hollow, and I was pointing it out by asking you to prove it's "better" on logical grounds. Your response was instead an ad-hominem attack on my motives, not exactly an effective resolution.

Mech_Engineer said:

You asked for a definition.

There are many ways to fight oppression other than your views of what would be needed to fight said oppression.

Somehow you have assigned me a view that I prefer oppression but you are wrong.

What exactly is "Instant Gov't Scanner" and how does it work?

"Instant Gov't Scanner" is a device that uses advanced technology to scan and collect information about individuals from a distance of 50m. It is typically used by government agencies for surveillance purposes. The scanner emits electromagnetic waves that bounce off objects and return to the device, providing detailed information about the object and its surroundings.

What kind of information can the "Instant Gov't Scanner" gather about individuals?

The scanner can gather a variety of information, including facial features, body measurements, heart rate, and even emotional state. It can also detect any weapons or devices that an individual may be carrying.

Is the use of "Instant Gov't Scanner" legal?

The legality of using the "Instant Gov't Scanner" varies depending on the country and its laws. In some places, it may be considered a violation of privacy rights, while in others, it may be used for security purposes with proper authorization.

Can the "Instant Gov't Scanner" be used on a large scale, such as at public events or in crowded areas?

Yes, the scanner can be used on a large scale, making it a powerful tool for surveillance at public events or in crowded areas. However, it may require special permission or authorization from relevant authorities.

Are there any potential risks or concerns associated with the use of "Instant Gov't Scanner"?

Some potential risks and concerns include invasion of privacy, misuse of gathered information, and potential health risks from exposure to electromagnetic waves. It is important for proper regulations and guidelines to be in place to ensure the ethical and responsible use of the device.