Instant distance visualization

In summary: That is, you are integrating the rate of change of some variable over the path. In the context of instantaneous distance, the variable could be speed, displacement, or any other quantity.In summary,The author seems to be asking about how we can visualize an idea of "instant distance". He seems to be confused about the difference between a point and an interval, and the implications this has for understanding how instantaneous distance is calculated. He goes on to say that if we let an interval of time "dt" to "pass", then we can assume that something has moved by a small amount. However, this is not really an "instant" distance, because there is a time interval involved. He then goes on to
LLT71
how can one visualize an idea of "instant distance". seems a bit abstract that at some time "t" we can evaluate "instant distance" by *speed(t)*dt". imagine a speed versus time graph.
now, there are two scenarios paradoxing in my head: if I assume that "dt" is a point on a time axis it seems that "no time has passed" (time freezed) and I can't visualize that something "moved" at speed(t) if there is no time interval. but if "dt" is some point (dt=0) surely we are going to get instant speed(t) (like plugging "x" in some function f(x) and evaluating value of f(x) at that point "x")

if I let some time "dt" to "pass" after "t" => t+dt than, surely, something "moved" by small amount and it seems reasonable to obtain distance traveled (but than it is not really "instant" distance at time t). looking at the function "speed(t)" if we have some time interval [t,t+dt] than there is some difference between speed(t) and speed(t+dt) and even if we calculate distance(t)=speed(t)*dt it doesn't look "instant" to me because of interval thing...

help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I've never heard of 'instant distance'. How is this different from just 'distance'?

Sounds like maybe he just means "the distance at a specific instant in time" but I'm not sure because the whole post makes no sense to me.

yeah "the distance at a specific instant in time".
distance=integral of speed(t)*dt from "a" to "b". because the speed is changing over time we should sum all instant's speed(t)*dt to get area under curve speed(t) and get how much distance we traveled on the interval [a,b]. for simplicity let it be [0,a].

LLT71 said:
yeah "the distance at a specific instant in time".
distance=integral of speed(t)*dt from "a" to "b". because the speed is changing over time we should sum all instant's speed(t)*dt to get area under curve speed(t) and get how much distance we traveled on the interval [a,b]. for simplicity let it be [0,a].
Yes, that's what we should do. What's the problem?

phinds said:
Yes, that's what we should do. What's the problem?
here is the picture for the first post
speed.jpg

Find the part of the book where they tell you about "limits" and what they mean when they say "the limit as dt goes to zero."

Likes LLT71
Okay, now your post makes a bit more sense.

LLT71 said:
how can one visualize an idea of "instant distance". seems a bit abstract that at some time "t" we can evaluate "instant distance" by *speed(t)*dt". imagine a speed versus time graph.
now, there are two scenarios paradoxing in my head: if I assume that "dt" is a point on a time axis it seems that "no time has passed" (time freezed) and I can't visualize that something "moved" at speed(t) if there is no time interval. but if "dt" is some point (dt=0) surely we are going to get instant speed(t) (like plugging "x" in some function f(x) and evaluating value of f(x) at that point "x")

##dt## represents an interval, not a point. It is commonly said that it represents a 'small change in ##t##', which is true. The full answer has to do with how calculus defines differentials. The basic idea is that when you differentiate position vs time to get speed, you are finding how the position changes over some small interval ##dt##. If you let ##dt## get infinitely small (but remain non-zero), you end up finding how position changes as ##t## changes for any value of ##t##.

Likes LLT71
Drakkith said:
Okay, now your post makes a bit more sense.
##dt## represents an interval, not a point. It is commonly said that it represents a 'small change in ##t##', which is true. The full answer has to do with how calculus defines differentials. The basic idea is that when you differentiate position vs time to get speed, you are finding how the position changes over some small interval ##dt##. If you let ##dt## get infinitely small (but remain non-zero), you end up finding how position changes as ##t## changes for any value of ##t##.

awesome, thanks!

LLT71 said:
##dx(t) = v(t) dt##

If you are taking a path integral to determine work done over a path, the notion is common.

Likes LLT71

Related to Instant distance visualization

What is instant distance visualization?

Instant distance visualization is a scientific method that allows for the quick and accurate representation of distances between objects or points in a given space. It uses advanced algorithms and data visualization techniques to provide a visual representation of distances in real-time.

How does instant distance visualization work?

Instant distance visualization works by using a combination of data from sensors, cameras, and other sources to collect information about the objects or points in a given space. This data is then fed into algorithms that calculate the distances between these objects and create a visual representation of these distances.

What are the benefits of using instant distance visualization?

Instant distance visualization offers several benefits, including the ability to quickly and accurately measure distances in real-time, the ability to visualize complex spatial relationships, and the ability to detect changes or movements in a given space.

What applications can instant distance visualization be used for?

Instant distance visualization has a wide range of applications in various fields, including robotics, navigation, surveying, and healthcare. It can also be used for virtual and augmented reality applications, as well as in industrial and military settings.

Are there any limitations to instant distance visualization?

While instant distance visualization is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It relies on accurate sensor data and can be affected by environmental factors such as lighting and obstacles. It also requires advanced algorithms and computing power, which may not be accessible to everyone.